1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Christine was a GREAT fire truck, except one night she caught fire, all the guys were asleep, they were scrambling to get up and get dressed, the engineer tried to start her to get her out of the station, but it wouldn't start, they were trying to get a house line on it, when she spontaneously started and the engineer drove her out of the station aflame. All that said, I loved that truck, we fought a lot of fire together...Mark
A video of that charlie foxtrot would be priceless.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
A video of that charlie foxtrot would be priceless.
That would have been good, unfortunately the only video recorders around at that time (85 or 86) were the size of christine and cost 3000 dollars. I ended up with one of the placards from her, notice the fire damage. The other is a pencil sketch of me standing in front, like I said I loved that truck, even if she tried to kill "A" shift, or was it that I loved her BECAUSE she tried to kill "A" shift ...Mark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63170901@N03/6857381409/http://www.flickr.com/photos/63170901@N03/6857381409/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/63170901@N03/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63170901@N03/6857381541/http://www.flickr.com/photos/63170901@N03/6857381541/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/63170901@N03/, on Flickr
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had one of the oem trans cooler lines come off when I was at full throttle in overdrive on the freeway. The good news is that all the trans fluid spraying everywhere didn't set the truck on fire, and burn it to the ground. The better news is that I pulled the pan, and it looks like I pulled over quick enough that no damage was done....which is good, since the trans has a lot of neat parts in it

Still not sure why the line failed. It was one of the factory quick disconnects.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Bill, my first thought was that firefighters don't give up, but then I remembered that we don't back a loser either. It would be terrible to have fixed everything, then passed on a reliable truck, but you gotta do what you gotta do. We nick named our Alf century model pumper "christine". after the old movie, because she had really weird mechanical issues, including catching fire while shut down in the station...Mark
We've come close to losing firetrucks at the scene, glass broken by heat, scorched paint and so on, but never inside the station. That's a funny story. And, I see the movie Christine is on Turner Classic Movies this afternoon. As I recall though, the real Christine "fixed" itself. Oh sure, you had to put up with a little jealousy and intimation, but IT FIXED ITSELF. A vehicle that will do that...I'm in!!!
Bill
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
We've come close to losing firetrucks at the scene, glass broken by heat, scorched paint and so on, but never inside the station. That's a funny story. And, I see the movie Christine is on Turner Classic Movies this afternoon. As I recall though, the real Christine "fixed" itself. Oh sure, you had to put up with a little jealousy and intimation, but IT FIXED ITSELF. A vehicle that will do that...I'm in!!!
Bill
It turned out that the big battery cable going to the Cole-hersee switch in the cab, it was a cab over, was shorted by the sawing action of the cab to the rest of the rig. Even with that, she still started and got herself out of the station. The truck that replaced her was a 1st Gen Hush that had so many electronics that they didn't want us to wash it with a hose. Imagine that a FIRE truck that shouldn't get wet.... It had this deal where it would shut itself down if the system voltage dropped below 10 volts. It shut down on us at a giant tire fire. We just opened our valves and had another pumper pump right through us. Christine was just like our first gens, all manual and would run through the gates of Hell before it let us down...Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JQmile
I had one of the oem trans cooler lines come off when I was at full throttle in overdrive on the freeway. The good news is that all the trans fluid spraying everywhere didn't set the truck on fire, and burn it to the ground. The better news is that I pulled the pan, and it looks like I pulled over quick enough that no damage was done....which is good, since the trans has a lot of neat parts in it

Still not sure why the line failed. It was one of the factory quick disconnects.
I actually saved a guy an expensive speeding ticket, or maybe even jail, when an oil line broke and sent a pressured stream on to the header. It looked like I was burning going down the freeway. I passed a DPS officer that had pulled a guy over for criminal speeding, but when I passed, she let him go and went after me. It was kind of funny because she really wanted to get that guy, but didn't...Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Yes it is. I have everything fixed, nothing broken, leaking, smoking, etc. Now is the time to sell it. It's been the most unreliable truck I've ever owned, so don't buy it, or let one of your friends buy it.
Bill
Good luck with the sale.......and thanks for the heads up. Having trouble moving mine at "my price". The mileage is scaring most folks off and they don't believe the truck runs as good as it does.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Featherman
Good luck with the sale.......and thanks for the heads up. Having trouble moving mine at "my price". The mileage is scaring most folks off and they don't believe the truck runs as good as it does.
I know what you mean. To most, I'm selling a 20 year old truck with 187K miles on it. I suspect I'll be hard pressed to get $11K out of it, even though I have countless hours and at least $14K in it. My worst nightmare is that it doesn't sell. I'm so $hit full of this POS, I can't tell you. The only good thing is, right now it's running perfect, everything working as it should and the truck looks decent. I'm going to advertise it in the local paper, Wheels 4 You, and Craigslist...guess we'll see what happens.
Bill
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Bill ..... if you post the list of things and parts you have replaced and throw in the words ( what els is there to replace, or it's basically a new truck) those would peek my intrest if i was looking for a truck.

as i said before someone will get a super nice truck, i wish it was me.

Dar
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Dar,
I agree, when I repost the ad, I think I'll go into more detail of what has been done to it. After my wife posted the ad, I sat down and wrote down everything that I could remember that has been done to the truck. Had about a page and a half!! Probably stuff I forgot, but I think I remembered the big stuff.
Bill
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Dar,
I agree, when I repost the ad, I think I'll go into more detail of what has been done to it. After my wife posted the ad, I sat down and wrote down everything that I could remember that has been done to the truck. Had about a page and a half!! Probably stuff I forgot, but I think I remembered the big stuff.
Bill
Time to start daily driving the black 93 around !
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Featherman
Seen your rig for sale man post er in Alberta Kijiji you'll get more hits and if I had 10 grand I'd throw it at you my only dislike of the truck is the fact she aint no gear grinder but otherwise gorgeous mint rig! and Bill why put all the money into that rig just keep it as the black ones parts buddy lol anyways all jokes aside sorry you've had to dump so much into her and I hope you can get it back and keep your reputation in place as well
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Seen your rig for sale man post er in Alberta Kijiji you'll get more hits and if I had 10 grand I'd throw it at you my only dislike of the truck is the fact she aint no gear grinder but otherwise gorgeous mint rig! and Bill why put all the money into that rig just keep it as the black ones parts buddy lol anyways all jokes aside sorry you've had to dump so much into her and I hope you can get it back and keep your reputation in place as well
Hey DJ, thanks. I've actually had a few offers in that range!!!!!! I'll be throwing it on EvilBay closer to spring. I don't know how to fool Kijiji. It won't allow you to post outside of your area unless you can "fool" it somehow.

It is a very clean rig, most lose interest once they hear about the mileage, but it's lived a very easy life. The box is straight as an arrow in and out with no dings. Never hauled before I got it becasue there was no trailer plug...........anyways I'm rambling and turning this into a for sale add.

Bill's trucks are awesome and can't believe he's had the kind of trouble he's having with the blue one.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 AM

I've never heard of one that troubled either but looks can be deceiving right? and what is that in kilometers?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM

I bought mine 5 years ago 1992 regular cab w350 and here is a list as best I can come up with for what I have done to it: injector pump rebuild, new injectors ( probably not needed but did it anyway) battery, tsb dead but did the potentiometer fix , works fine, water pump and serpentine belt, fuel level assembly in tank, 4 tires, ac is dead - don't know what the deal is with that- no big deal and I think that is it. New rearend- axle tube was broken by prvious owner and welded back -badly- that was abuse. I love the truck I know I have more in it than it is worth, but I use it for dirty jobs and it has only let me down when the fuel sender thing went out this summer. I don't think I want to drive it to California , but I don't want to drive anything to California. I think you can expect to spend money on anything you drive. Think about how much the payment would be on a newer or new truck to do the stuff you need to do. If you are going to use it hard everyday perhaps the repairs might get to be too much. But most people don't use their trucks enough to really justify a 700 -900 month payment. Do what you think is best for you and be happy .

Quick Reply: How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really