1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My trucks 1993 D350 diesel 150,000 miles 1985 W350 Crew cab 5.9 diesel engine has 180,000 have been great hands down pulls like made always starts and runs great 1200 cca battery.
Starts not plugged in at zero degrees Fahrenheit.
I wanted to see if it would start and it did. First time.
I would plug it in if I needed to drive it just to make heat faster.
I think some of it could be that they never see salt.
My problem is I have two and need to sell one but don't want to.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would (and do) drive mine anywhere. That said, my truck is 28 years old with a 22 year old engine. Yes, I have spent a lot in maintence and UPGRADES. I hardly think nearly as many of todays trucks will be on the road in 20-25 years, and when they fail, a "roadside" repair will probably just be a dream, look at how many 2nd gens are long gone. The majority of the problems with these trucks are EASILY repaired. I would not trade mine for a brand new one. It has NEVER left me on the side of the road, ever! But I take care of it, maintenence it, and dont forget the upgrades! My Buddy is paying 700.00 a month for his for 7 years. I can do a LOT for 700.00 a month. Yes, his is quieter, has more power, and is more comfortable, but it gets 13mpg highway, and costs 700.00 a month! It loses value every month and has been in the shop a dozen times.
I will keep my unique, old truck forever. And 20 plus mpg is great!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Thunderhog
I would (and do) drive mine anywhere. That said, my truck is 28 years old with a 22 year old engine. Yes, I have spent a lot in maintence and UPGRADES. I hardly think nearly as many of todays trucks will be on the road in 20-25 years, and when they fail, a "roadside" repair will probably just be a dream, look at how many 2nd gens are long gone. The majority of the problems with these trucks are EASILY repaired. I would not trade mine for a brand new one. It has NEVER left me on the side of the road, ever! But I take care of it, maintenence it, and dont forget the upgrades! My Buddy is paying 700.00 a month for his for 7 years. I can do a LOT for 700.00 a month. Yes, his is quieter, has more power, and is more comfortable, but it gets 13mpg highway, and costs 700.00 a month! It loses value every month and has been in the shop a dozen times.
I will keep my unique, old truck forever. And 20 plus mpg is great!
Amen brother thats why I love these old rigs the new ones may be kinda cool but ours will prob be going long after most other vehicles are long gone and the industry changes completely! so Hells yea to our rigs!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Buddy Stewert
My trucks 1993 D350 diesel 150,000 miles 1985 W350 Crew cab 5.9 diesel engine has 180,000 have been great hands down pulls like made always starts and runs great 1200 cca battery.
Starts not plugged in at zero degrees Fahrenheit.
I wanted to see if it would start and it did. First time.
I would plug it in if I needed to drive it just to make heat faster.
I think some of it could be that they never see salt.
My problem is I have two and need to sell one but don't want to.
Having a spare, back up 1st gen is a great thing! Which one are you going to sell?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Did another decently long road trip this weekend. Went pretty much to the Wyoming Montana line at Belle Fourche South Dakota and drug back a rusty 93 w350 with the 90 we now have over 423k on it and had no major issues.

Name:  SouthDakota030.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  136.5 KB
Old 02-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Hey Bill................................is that your "troubled" truck for sale on CLs?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Featherman
Hey Bill................................is that your "troubled" truck for sale on CLs?
Yes it is. I have everything fixed, nothing broken, leaking, smoking, etc. Now is the time to sell it. It's been the most unreliable truck I've ever owned, so don't buy it, or let one of your friends buy it.
Bill
Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by bill-d-c
Yes it is. I have everything fixed, nothing broken, leaking, smoking, etc. Now is the time to sell it. It's been the most unreliable truck I've ever owned, so don't buy it, or let one of your friends buy it.
Bill
Bill, my first thought was that firefighters don't give up, but then I remembered that we don't back a loser either. It would be terrible to have fixed everything, then passed on a reliable truck, but you gotta do what you gotta do. We nick named our Alf century model pumper "christine". after the old movie, because she had really weird mechanical issues, including catching fire while shut down in the station...Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have all saftey yellow trucks cept 1. They bought real cheap, the only red one we have. Nicknamed the red headed step child. It has always given us fits. They about sold it once but one of the firemen who was a mechanic found the short. Fixed it. Now we have a really nice truck loaded with extrication tools.

Point is, if you fixed everything, wait a bit to see if it keeps giving you trouble. If it does, sell it fast. If not, then keep it. Just my $.02...

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Double Post...Sorry
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
We have all saftey yellow trucks cept 1. They bought real cheap, the only red one we have. Nicknamed the red headed step child. It has always given us fits. They about sold it once but one of the firemen who was a mechanic found the short. Fixed it. Now we have a really nice truck loaded with extrication tools.

Point is, if you fixed everything, wait a bit to see if it keeps giving you trouble. If it does, sell it fast. If not, then keep it. Just my $.02...

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY
Christine was a GREAT fire truck, except one night she caught fire, all the guys were asleep, they were scrambling to get up and get dressed, the engineer tried to start her to get her out of the station, but it wouldn't start, they were trying to get a house line on it, when she spontaneously started and the engineer drove her out of the station aflame. All that said, I loved that truck, we fought a lot of fire together...Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Guys, here is what I'm up against. Since I started this thread, 2-3 weeks ago, here's what else was done to the truck.
Front end rebuild
4 new Geolander 265/75R16 tires (10ply)
Front end alignment
NOW THE BACK BREAKER
IP rebuilt
6 brand new injectors
IP and injectors by Diesel Control Technicians (Hutchinson Ks.)
So, in the last 2-3 weeks, I've spent 3700.00 on this truck.
I'm hard headed as hell, ask anybody that knows me. But I know when I've met my match.
Bill
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I hate to here this Bill, but i respect your decesion and know you have thought it through.

Dar
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I hate to here this Bill, but i respect your decesion and know you have thought it through.

Dar
Thanks Dar. However, just because the truck is for sale, doesn't mean it will sell. I still might be stuck with it forever, who knows. I bought the truck about 10 months ago for $7,000.00. With the latest work done, I now have $14,000.00 in it. Alot of the work I did myself, but things I wasn't comfortable with I had done at reputable shops. I know my asking price is top dollar for the truck, but I can't take much less for it.
Bill
What will happen is, someone will buy it and drive it for the next 20 years with no problems.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I'd keep that nice blue truck bill. God forbid you put any miles on that black beauty of yours

Quick Reply: How reliable is your 12V 1sr Gen...really