1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How much to tighten up front end ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaaand the second grease gun is all screwed up. Wont screw back down on a new tube of grease, no matter how hard I push while it's braced...the threads just don't catch.

For hours and hours and hours, with several friends helping.

Screw it. I'm heading to a hock shop or tool place and looking for an old grease gun from like the 50s or 60s. You get what you pay for with modern junk, and everything was built to far, far higher standards back then.

Too bad, what with Powerbuilt tools at Schmucks being half price right now. Guess they are half price for a reason !

Anyway. Even though I only greased less than half of the contact points on the Driver's side, I can tell a difference. Some of those "nipple" grease apertures looked as if they hadn't been greased in years, as they were just covered in frozen caked on dirt and grime.

Maybe I'll spring for some new shocks while I'm down under there. Hopefully, the front end will make it to Texas before I have to pay out the rear end to have it rebuilt, or buy specialty tools and teach myself how to do it.

Thanks for your help again, gentlemen. Are there any other things in particular I should be looking and/or testing for, that indicate front end damage or excessive wear ?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
i will say that some of the squeaks you might be hearing are the cowl cracks between the fender and doors. mine squeak every now and then which drives me crazy. some days are better than others and i've over time began to ignore it.

you could check for slop in the ball joints. put a jack under either side of the front end and raise it off the ground. grab the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock and give it a wiggle. if you have any noticeable movement it could be one of 2 things, ball joints or wheel bearings. a way to tell would be to look at either the upper or lower ball joint for movement.

a way to check the steering would be to grab the wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock and wiggle it again. take a look at any of the steering linkage points for excessive movement as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
i will say that some of the squeaks you might be hearing are the cowl cracks between the fender and doors. mine squeak every now and then which drives me crazy. some days are better than others and i've over time began to ignore it.

you could check for slop in the ball joints. put a jack under either side of the front end and raise it off the ground. grab the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock and give it a wiggle. if you have any noticeable movement it could be one of 2 things, ball joints or wheel bearings. a way to tell would be to look at either the upper or lower ball joint for movement.

a way to check the steering would be to grab the wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock and wiggle it again. take a look at any of the steering linkage points for excessive movement as well.
I can grab the wheel with the front end jacked up in the air, and turn the entire steering system back and forth...this seems normal. None of the bars down there seem to have excessive play, in fact you can't wiggle or move any of them independently of the others at all.

Not sure what you mean by "any noticeable movement" when wiggling it. Like not even one millimeter, like it shouldn't budge as if it's anchored in cement ?

I've bought my third grease gun that does not work now. This one is the larger size 12004L 8000psi model:

http://www.leestool.com/rrt-12004l.html

Don't know what I'm doing wrong...load the grease cylinder in the correct way, release the tension on the bar coming out the rear end and push it flush against the end, then squeeze handle. No grease comes out, only air. It's full of grease, and the other hole is plugged. Everything is on tight.

No grease.

sigh.

Well, thanks for the help thus far, everyone.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
some grease guns have a scerew by the pumping piston that you need to take out to let the air out whene you put a new tube of grease. ken
Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by kensmachine
some grease guns have a scerew by the pumping piston that you need to take out to let the air out whene you put a new tube of grease. ken
Tried that.

So I'm going to look at buying some shocks as well, to see if that helps. I could not find any info in the sticky about changing out shocks.

Is it as simple as jacking up the front end, removing the tires, and removing the old shocks ? Or do you need special pullers or compressors to remove the coil springs to get the shocks out ?

Dumb question, but I have never replaced the shocks on one of these trucks before.

Is this in the sticky somewhere, and I missed it ?

thanks again...
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM

shocks are easy! jack up the front end, pull the wheels and tires if you want to. there are 2 bolts in the bottom of the lower control arm and one nut on the stud up top. i've got pictures if you'd like some visuals
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 PM

shocks are easy! jack up the front end, pull the wheels and tires if you want to. there are 2 bolts in the bottom of the lower control arm and one nut on the stud up top. i've got pictures if you'd like some visuals
Where are these pics ? Can you send them or post them ? Thanks !!!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Well, in the absence of those pics or a FAQ on changing shocks or a mention of it anywhere in the sticky, I will assume it's as simple as raising the truck in the air, and unbolting the shocks and replacing them. Nothing need be done with the coil springs or anything.

So here's a question. For a guy on a budget, which mid-priced shocks give the smoother ride ? The only ones listed at O'Reily's/Schucks, Baxters, and Autozone in my town, that are in stock are the "KYB" brand and "Gabriels". Bilsteins can be delivered in 5 days, but I don't have 5 days.

"Gas Magnum" 34868 ?

"Monro-matics" ?

"Gabriels" can be found at Autozone, but they take a while to get delivered.

"Gabriel Ultra" ?

"Gabriel LTV" ?

"Gabriel Load Carrier" ?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 PM

sorry i couldn't get back to you last night sean. the shocks are plain and simple and can be changed just as you described.

passenger side:

driver side:

i've heard some say that KYB shocks are pretty good. i don't have any experience in them however. monroe shocks have been around for quite a while and i have never heard anything about them. then again, i haven't heard any feedback on them whatsoever. the majority here would say bilsteins are the way to go and i have experience with these now. i understand you don't have 5 days to wait though and you're looking for answers ASAP so you can be ready for the road. i hope somebody can answer the questions for you that i haven't been able to answer.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Jimbo you rock i love the way you take pictures of everything!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Old 03-26-2010, 09:00 PM

sorry i couldn't get back to you last night sean. the shocks are plain and simple and can be changed just as you described.

passenger side:

driver side:

i've heard some say that KYB shocks are pretty good. i don't have any experience in them however. monroe shocks have been around for quite a while and i have never heard anything about them. then again, i haven't heard any feedback on them whatsoever. the majority here would say bilsteins are the way to go and i have experience with these now. i understand you don't have 5 days to wait though and you're looking for answers ASAP so you can be ready for the road. i hope somebody can answer the questions for you that i haven't been able to answer.
I was looking at the Baxter Auto website, according to them it would appear that Monroe shocks like "Monro-Matic" and "Gas Magnums" are made by KYB.

Thanks for all the info !

EDIT: Called Baxter, apparently the KYB is listed next to the Monroe stuff as a comparison/ substitute thing for part numbers.

Gonna head up to Baxter and check out some KYB "Mono Tubes" I think is what he called 'em, for $62 each...these are front shocks. Said they are quite heavy duty, give a stiffer ride with more control and would be a better deal for towing a H-Haul full of heavy stuff up and down mountains like I intend to do...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure they're for the diesel front end.

even 1 ton gasser shocks are different than 3/4 ton diesel .....the diesel shocks are special. 4000lb "axle" they call it.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Just make sure they're for the diesel front end.

even 1 ton gasser shocks are different than 3/4 ton diesel .....the diesel shocks are special. 4000lb "axle" they call it.
These are identical to the old ones coming out of there. KYB "Gas-A-Just." KG5404.

They were a tad shorter, so I just pulled on the shaft that sticks out the end until they were the same length.

Of course, the instructions are a bunch of tiny pictures...no words...for all these different kinds of shocks. Make no sense at all...no help whatsoever.

I pulled the old ones out, put the new ones in on one side so far. Tightened the two bolts at the bottom, then the one at the top where the shaft sticks through, back and forth. The bolts on bottom are fully tightened now.

How do I know when to stop tightening the one at the top ? I assume this is adjusting the shock or something ? Shaft sticks out about an inch on top of the nut and rubber boot.

thanks...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 PM

anyone ?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I usually tighten the top shock mount until the bushing is just starting to squeeze past the out side of the washer.

Quick Reply: How much to tighten up front end ?