1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How much lift can I expect from new 4"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much lift can I expect from new 4"?

My stock springs have maybe a half inch negative arch ( not the worst I have seen), so not too bad but not new. Anyway I would like to go to a 4" lift in the front and was wondering what to expect. Is the 4 inches claimed a measurement above stock when it was new? I think when new these trucks probably sat about 2 inches higher than most presently do with stock springs. what I am trying to get at is will I end up about 4 inches higher than it would have been back in 92, or is it a true 4 inches above where you start at? If it's 4" above current it will only look like 2" above the ride height when the truck was new.
Any one do measuring before and after? That would be great help to me.

Wondering when I order whether to go for 4 or 6". I want it to look lifted, not super tall, but not like I just refreshed the stock pack. In other words maybe 3-4 inches above where it would have stood in 92. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by powerrammaster; 07-16-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: forgotten words
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM

I would go for the 4", because if you go any bigger, then you have to worry about your front driveshaft angle. Also if you get into six, you will have to get new rear springs.. With a 4 they give an option of like 2.5" blocks I think..Which will put you level or a little higher in the back.. also, if you start stacking blocks, I would get a set of traction bars to help keep that back end solid... OR do what I did and make a shackle reverse for the rear and then have no blocks or a 2" one for a 4" lift..

Here is a link of a few pics!! good luck

They give 8" of lift using the stock springs. So in simple terms. subtract 6" by getting rid of the factory blocks and then adding 2 for good measures.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM

Yeah for the rear I was gonna either copy what you did or beg you to make me a set.It's the front Im concerned with. I made my own pack out of rear leaves as mockup on the front as to what height appeals to me. I ve got the right stance, just not sure where a set of Slyjackers or another brand is gonna put me. im lookin for that '97 F350 look, where they ride tall outta the box but don't look lifted.

I had a truck where the guy stacked the rear blocks--what a nightmare, never again! You have been my inspiration I have watched you over the months build a nice suspension, only problem is money is tight right now, so I'll live with my homemade pack and a stiff ride, I just needed to see her up on 35's with the polished aluminum shinin'. Thanks. When I learn to post pics... well you know. Other prob I have is I put a plow on the truck in the winter (9' Fisher) and I think it'll whoop the lift springs in no time.