1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How long does your BHAF last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How long does your BHAF last?

I changed my BHAF today for the first time since I installed it. I checked my records and it had exactly 37K miles and a bit over 28 months on it and it still looked pretty good (until I compared it to a new one) . The Outerwears cover helps but I'll let you look at the pics and tell me what you think.

I think I'll take it to the shop and blow it out and see how bad it really was. If it blows out pretty clean, I may just swap it back in in another 35-40K. I am putting filterminder on it soon so I'll be able to better tell just how dirty it really is.

Here's how it looked when it came out.

Here's the difference between the old Fleetguard and the new one.

Here it is ready to go back in.

So, how often do you change your BHAF?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine was dirtier than yours, and my minder sucked down to 10%.
I think the first one I changed at 45,000 miles. I didn't need to, however.

Mike
Old 08-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never, never, never blow a filter out with a blow gun. It punches tiny holes in the element.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Mine looked about the same after 30K, but 10k of it was without the Outerwears.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:43 AM

Could you take a picture of your BHAF installed in your truck? Maybe far enough away to get the total installation. I want to install on on my truck and am looking for ideas. What number is your filter, did it come with the precleaner bag and where did you get it? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've got about 20k on mine, it's still a lighter gray than yours, Jay.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
I've got about 20k on mine, it's still a lighter gray than yours, Jay.
Give it another 17K or so and make sure you get some dirt road and pasture driving mixed in there to help achieve the proper color.

Originally posted by vavtx
Could you take a picture of your BHAF installed in your truck? Maybe far enough away to get the total installation. I want to install on on my truck and am looking for ideas. What number is your filter, did it come with the precleaner bag and where did you get it? Thanks in advance!
I'll try to post a shot or two this afternoon or evening. Dave's (wannadiesel) install is a lot cleaner than mine but I haven't gone to the aftermarket tube, yet. Check his out below or go to his Members Photo Gallery.

My mount was actually purchased from Smokey back when he still made them so I can't tell you anything about the fabrication of it but the filter is a Fleetguard AH19037 and I ordered the Outerwears directly from Outerwears over the phone. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...4C016643088794

Believe it or not, I clicked on Search by Keyword on their homepage and typed in BHAF and that link is what I got. Guess they've sold a few.

The most critical issue for most BHAF installs is how do you keep the filter neck (which is made of stiff rubber) from collapsing and keep your intake hose from slipping off. There have been numerous members that have discovered to their dismay that the intake hose came off their BHAF and they had been sucking unfiltered air for who knows how long.

I think Dave puts a short piece of pipe/tubing inside the neck of his. Not sure what others do. My solution was to buy a PVC plumbing fitting that had a 4" ID going to a 4" OD. I slip it over the neck of the BHAF with a light coat of RTV and then I've drilled 4 holes in it so that I can put 4 short sheetmetal screws thru the PVC into the rubber BHAF neck. I also put 6 screws into the 4" OD end so that the screw heads help keep the intake hose from slipping off the fitting once the clamp is tightened. Those are the screws that you see in the top and bottom pictures of my original post. The white part of the PVC fitting that you see there is covered by the intake tube and doesn't show.

Sorry for rambling on. I'll try to get the other pics up later.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by vavtx
Could you take a picture of your BHAF installed in your truck? Maybe far enough away to get the total installation.
Here ya go.

Here is a picture of the air inlet area w/ the BHAF removed. You can see the I angle cut the air box connection tube to allow the incoming air to hit as much of the filter as possible. Not as good as the ram air setups some have but hopefully better than nothing.

Do a search on BHAF and you'll get all sorts of data and ideas. Personally, I like the stainless soup/stock pot that BC847 made but haven't had time to even think of building one. Maybe when he starts producing and selling them, I'll buy one (hint-hint). Check it out here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...stock+pot+bhaf

Hope that this helps.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the info! I need to find time to make a BHAF set up. Right now I have more money than time (very unusal). Is there anyone selling a prefab set up?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Do a search in the DTR classifieds for BHAF. Tuckerdee has a listing there. There may be others but that's the only one I stumbled across recently. Seems like someone else on this forum mentioned having to buy a full sheet of material to build theres and having extra. Search on BHAF for recent posts. They may be willing to get a second one fabbed up and ship it to ya for the right price.

Glad to help.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:47 AM

just think what that filter would look like without the pre-filter on it That right there has me purchasing an outerwears for it.