1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How to get more fuel screw: My Official Redneck Way.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to get more fuel screw: My Official Redneck Way.

This isnt a breakthrough in the VE world by any means but it might give some guys ideas and thats all i want... to get people thinking. Don't judge the redneck!

I was bored today and decided to get my truck to runaway/hang rpms so i knew i had as much as i could get. I had my fuel screw bottomed out for a while now and i have yet to even hear it try and hang rpms. Apparently that means i have the short fuel screw which i think is common to intercooled pumps and Ive read that people can either order the longer screw (costs money), or you can add some material on the end of the fuel screw (i dont have a welder), or you can think like a redneck (me).

Long story short, there is a ridge/collar on the screw that bottoms out on the threads in the injection pump. I doubt you can tell by feel wether or not youre bottoming out on your threads or on the fulcrum that the fuel screw pushes in.

What i did was take a 5/16" drill bit and drill out 3/16" of threads out of the injection pump (from the outside) and that gave me more travel with the fuel screw. 5/16" is larger than the shank/ridge/collar on the fuel screw, yet smaller than the hole before the threads. this means you will not mess with the o-rings ability to seal the fuel.

I found hanging rpms in the driveway. I backed it off 1/2 turn and it still hung just a little so i backed it off some more. Yet to test it again but my boost gauge hose blew off so im waiting on some glue to cure before i go again.

Here are some pics of how much i gained in the process. 3/16" exactly but still pics make everything so much cooler.

I etched a line so you could see before/after.

After!

Yee haw boys. more fuel.

EDIT-remember if you do it, youll have to pull the top of your pump off (just like doing the 366 spring) and after you drill the hole, clean it like crazy with compressed air/carb cleaner and whatever else you have to keep shavings out of your pump!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a short one. I may try this also.
More fuel= more fun. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 PM

i would like to add that theres nothing wrong with having a short one.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Hmmm, this seems like a relatively harmless way to extend my short pin. Thanks for the idea! Once I get my pyro in I'll try this on for size. Let us now how it holds up, leaks wise in the next few days.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Muted User

It's not the size of your pin, it's how you use it. Wait maybe I'm in the wrong thread....
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 AM

If you cant hit the bottom,Hit the EDIT out of the sides!

Last edited by BC847; 08-13-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Language
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM

That's kinda/sorta what happen' to me/us at 6'am th's mow'nin!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I think I understand what you've done but I'm not quite able to understand exactly. Can you elaborate more or do you have any more pictures of this?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 AM

I too think I understand what you did but I'm failing to realize exactly why. The longer pin costs like $12 versus drilling into your pump and all of the nightmares that can result in.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 AM

i was going to just weld it but i had the pump apart to mess with the idle screw so i just tried it this way and it worked. theres not really a whole lot to mess up.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Since we are kinda on the subject what's the part number for the longer pin?
I like the idea for saving money but I just had my pump apart and don't want to do it again if I can just sprnd 20$. Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Take the top off, set it so the hole for the fuel screw is upright, take the drill bit and drill downwards the required amount.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I think I understand what you've done but I'm not quite able to understand exactly. Can you elaborate more or do you have any more pictures of this?
Jon pretty much summed it up with this post. I'm not saying that this is as good as buying a longer screw or welding on the end of it but i will say that it works and gave me a reason to get out of the house on saturday and stay away from housework.

Originally Posted by dieselJon
Take the top off, set it so the hole for the fuel screw is upright, take the drill bit and drill downwards the required amount.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
That's what my initial thought was but just had to clarify. I'd be one to just buy the longer screw as I'd like to keep the pump as original as possible. Minus a few screws turned in further than they were from the factory, of course .

Quick Reply: How to get more fuel screw: My Official Redneck Way.