1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How Do you get Injector Pump off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do you get Injector Pump off??

Well my pump started leaking pretty bad from the back side of pump near the engine block.. so I ordered a gasket kit and now I am trying to get the pump off..

Well I disconnected all the lines, etc.. and then went onto the 3 bolts hold the pump on and I can get to 2 of the bolts but the last one is between pump and power steering pump and I can nto get to it

DO I need to take off the power steering pump??
I hope not since I have replaced this once and it was a pain to get back in.. but if I have to then I will

Any help greatly appreciated..
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM

You can either buy the special "S" shape pump wrench from Snap On or you can heat and bend a wrench to make it fit. A regular wrench wont get the job done....

Originally Posted by BRUISER
Well my pump started leaking pretty bad from the back side of pump near the engine block.. so I ordered a gasket kit and now I am trying to get the pump off..

Well I disconnected all the lines, etc.. and then went onto the 3 bolts hold the pump on and I can get to 2 of the bolts but the last one is between pump and power steering pump and I can nto get to it

DO I need to take off the power steering pump??
I hope not since I have replaced this once and it was a pain to get back in.. but if I have to then I will

Any help greatly appreciated..
Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM

Ha BRUISER!
EDIT that was sapost to say Hay BRUISER

There are a couple of guy here that have used the wrench set from harber fraigt(bent wrench) hoppflly thy will see your post and chime in.

allso there is (3) nut on the pump and (1)bolt on the brace that need to be remove.
that brace will also need to be removed or atleast 2 of the 3 bolt remove and pushed back fare enuff so the pump can clear the gear housing!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a set of "S" wrenches for $10 that will help you get that pesky nut off in no time.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
yes you'll need an s wrench but after that you didn't mention taking the nut in the timing case off... You must remove the oil filler tube to access it.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
yes you'll need an s wrench but after that you didn't mention taking the nut in the timing case off... You must remove the oil filler tube to access it.
And a steering will puller or any small 2post puller to remove the gear from the pump shaft or brake it loose any ways.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:30 PM

what size is the wrench?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
wrench

13mm swrench has 11mm and 13mm on the other side I believe
Old 08-25-2006, 08:06 AM

Well thanks for the info..

The 13mm "S" wrench worked perfect..

I have now taken off Inj pump, timing cover, and all valve covers..

I am getting inj pump rebuilt and putting in 3200 spring, I also checked my KDP and it is still in it factory location.. but I wil still kill it and I am also gonna adjust my valves while I am in there. plan is to have it back on the road early next week..(no time to work on it this weekend)

I will say this having the correct tools does help.. it took me 3 days to get my fan off.. the dang thing did nto want to come off. but with a rented tool from advance we got it off in 5 mins once that was off everything else came off in 30 mins..
Old 08-25-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by BRUISER
Well thanks for the info..

The 13mm "S" wrench worked perfect..

I have now taken off Inj pump, timing cover, and all valve covers..

I am getting inj pump rebuilt and putting in 3200 spring, I also checked my KDP and it is still in it factory location.. but I wil still kill it and I am also gonna adjust my valves while I am in there. plan is to have it back on the road early next week..(no time to work on it this weekend)

I will say this having the correct tools does help.. it took me 3 days to get my fan off.. the dang thing did nto want to come off. but with a rented tool from advance we got it off in 5 mins once that was off everything else came off in 30 mins..

With the gear cover off....make shore the pump gear gets marked...before it falls out on the ground!!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
With the gear cover off....make shore the pump gear gets marked...before it falls out on the ground!!

Yup did that

Thanks