1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How do you adjust timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you adjust timing?

I am wanting to advance my timing a little bit and I am needing to know how. Anyone have any schematics? And/Or directions. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I can figure it out with some basic direction. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Just guessing you mean the injection pump timing ( there's mechanical timing too).
You need certain tools to do it with: Injection pump timing tool ( about 100 bux)- Barring tool ( about 40-70 bux) and bunch of extensions to turn the barring tool-mics hand tools
I would get a factory service manual as there are certain steps that needs to be done in order to get it right.
Brent
Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
90firstgen, if your truck is indeed a 1990, then you may disregard the recomendations made by serious--those items only apply to the p-pump that shows up on the second gen trucks. For the first genners, it's pretty simple. There are three bolts that hold the pump to the timing case. They are 13mm and two of them are a bear to get to. An 's' shaped box end wrench is just about mandatory for the bottom one. Since you are mechanically inclined, I'm sure you can find an appropriate 'throw away' 13mm and hit it with the torch to make the 's' bend yourself. Otherwise, harbor-freight sells the whole set for like ten bucks. There's also a support bracket at the back of the pump. It's 13mm on my truck, but I've heard 10mm as well. All four of these bolts must be loose before you attempt to move the pump. There should be timing marks to reference---one is on the pump flange near the 'easy-to-get-to' bolt, and it's reference is stamped on the timing case. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to separate those marks by roughly 1/8''. This is generally accepted as the 1/8 timing bump. Here's a reference photo of what you're looking to acomplish:

For clarity, you are trying to push the top of the pump TOWARD the cylinder head when advancing timing. Gentle tapping with a soft mallet and perhaps a rachet strap keeping tension on the whole mess are both common practices. This is the quick and dirty method and it works well. Stop back and ask any and all questions that come to mind---that's what we're here for!
Greg
Old 03-06-2006, 04:02 PM

Yeah, you can do it this way too, but what if your pump isn't timed right in the first place?! The route i was referring to is the factory way to check the initial pump timming and then go from there. Which it *should* be timed right from the factory, but you never know if someone has munkied with it before.
It would suck to get too much of a bump in there.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:13 PM

FWIW, I set mine the 'proper' way using a standard dial indicator and I turned the crank by hand. The key, for those interested, is to have an accurate TDC reference, which again, only requires a dial indicator. I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, serious, I just want folks to know that it can be done in the 'approved' manner without spending big bucks on specialty tools. As for over-timing, I think the 1/8'' bump has proved to be safe for just about every truck. Still, it is worth mentioning that one messes with these things at ones own risk, and, of course, one would be better off leaving it to a factory certified tech I have my timing gear advanced an entire tooth AND the pump is cranked pretty close to the head...AND I run 40psi every day...AND I have a 400k headgasket still holding AND...I guess I'm living on borrowed time, now that I think about it
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah, i haven't bumped mine yet, so i'm just repeating what i've read and learned so far. No offense taken.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Get a good timing light, a piece of soap stone, and a rag to clean off the balancer. Many use a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. Loosen the Distributor and give her a crank. Just bump it easy, and see where your at. If you have trouble starting it, like it wont crank over, just retard the timing a hair and try again. Sorry I had to be a smart
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by csramsey640
Get a good timing light, a piece of soap stone, and a rag to clean off the balancer. Many use a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. Loosen the Distributor and give her a crank. Just bump it easy, and see where your at. If you have trouble starting it, like it wont crank over, just retard the timing a hair and try again. Sorry I had to be a smart
which plug wire do I clip the light to?
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 PM

ase tools rule on the cmmins!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
which plug wire do I clip the light to?
The one right next to the "710" cap...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have to be a Cummings timing light?

Chris
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by kc8ksg
Does it have to be a Cummings timing light?

Chris
Yes it has to be a Cummings light. Those Cummins lights don't clip to the plug wires very good.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM

I use #1 wire, but on some trucks its so hard to find Ill bet you if you called enough Pep Boys, Advance and Autozone(not picking favs, just the common ones) you find someone who will sell you a set of wires for your 5.9 I6 Vin 8 engine.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 PM

Where can I get the wrench set?

Does anyone have a link or part number for the set of wrenches I can use to loosen the bolts on my injection pump? I checked the harbor freight website but couldnt find it. Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 07:50 AM

here you go

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2986

Quick Reply: How do you adjust timing?