1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How about oil quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about oil quality

I did not want to steal the fram fiters thread, but along those same lines what about oil Quality and brand. Who makes the Walmart super teck oil?
Is rotella T any good? What brand do you guys use. My dad swor by Havoline SAE30, he ran it in his (now mine ) 70 chevy truck since it was new, when I first pulled the engine to do freeze plugs and figured Id also freshin it up after 20+years , it looked like new inside! no sludge , no lip in the cylinders, vertualy no bearing wear. All I did was a hone and re ring, and polish the crank , new bearings ect. Now a few years later I did loose a rod bearing, was it the fact that I did not use Havoline any more? Or was it the fram filter ? more than likely it was the 7000RPM pass on the highway I was makeing . But anyway just wanted your take on oils...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 AM

Wal-Mart oil is made by two vendors. Depending on your part of the country and the type of oil determines the manufacturer. Exxon-Mobil makes some and a company WPP (Warren Petrolium Products) the other. The big jugs of E-M made oil look similar to the new jugs for Mobil 1. WPP oil is in a taller container with smaller cap on top. On the bottom of the container you will see WPP. WPP makes some off brand oils like Costal and others.

Just because E-M makes it, doesn't mean it's the same. It probably has the same base stock, but different additive pack.

There was also recently a thread on oils. Havoline is excellent oil, one of the best. Their Ursa is the diesel rated oil, you can't use regular Havoline in a diesel, the additives are wrong. Any of the other Diesel rated oils will also work fine, Rotella, Delvac, Valvoline Blue, Delo, Castrol Techtion will all do as well in your truck.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You can't buy a bad oil that meets CI-4 spec. I use Delvac 1300 S because it has a lower pour point than the competition, and the price is good. I don't use Rotella T because it is stinky for a month after an oil change - and it costs more than both Delvac and Delo at Wal-Mart. That is not to say that it is not a good oil, they are all good.

Don't run straight 30 weight in the Cummins.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
OH NO! Another oil thread!

I just put in the Mobil-1 Truck/SUV which is a little over $20/5 qt. at WalMart. The truck seems to like it better but my oil pressure gauge is 1 tick lower that whatever the dealer put in it when I got it. I use a Purolator filter.

Edwin
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 PM

I think that Ursa is being phased out. Since ChevronTexaco became one, I think they are tooting the Delo name more. I havent been able to locate Ursa for a few years, although I know its still a branded name, and im sure its available some places, it hasnt been around here. Im guessing its now a similar blend to Delo, same as Pennzoil and Rotella being owned by Sopus. Ursa was a very good oil though
Old 03-13-2006, 09:01 PM

Question

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Don't run straight 30 weight in the Cummins.
I don't doubt you, I've just never heard that. Can you tell me the reasoning behind not using 30 wt.? I have GALLONS of Delo 30 wt. that Auto Zone closed out for .99 a gallon and planned on switching to it on my next change.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
If you don't pour it in the crank-case, you can pour it in the fuel tank.

At .99/Gal., it is less than half price of fuel.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by russ300h
I don't doubt you, I've just never heard that. Can you tell me the reasoning behind not using 30 wt.? I have GALLONS of Delo 30 wt. that Auto Zone closed out for .99 a gallon and planned on switching to it on my next change.
It's too thick when cold and too thin when hot. Work it off in your lawnmower, or do like Bearkiller suggested and use it for fuel.