1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Holeset turbo housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holeset turbo housing

Just looking over the numbers on my exhaust housing and turbo and they are a holset 18.5 cm and the compressor is a H1E (from 1993). it is on a 1992 w-250. could these be from an aftermarket kit back then or are they the stock from a different year? Anyone have any performance nubers or spects from these that may make them different from the stock ones? Right now, woth some pump tweeking I get around 19psi of boost and exhaust temps of 1000*F under full excelleration.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re:Holeset turbo housing

The exhaust housing is stock but the compressor side is an upgrade. Bigger pinwheel and housing = more air. Pinwheel is 60 mm vs stock 56 mm. Get a 16 cm turbine housing and you can really crank out some boost!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info. <br><br>I have been trying to figure out exactly what is on the truck it has the banks power pack badges. Only mod I can tell is the larger exhaust minus the mufler, the upgraded compressor, and the banks air filter. I wonder if this was a kit in the past. When I get the cash looking to install Lucas POD injectors and the 16 cm housing. How in depth are the installs? They look pretty strait forward.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:11 PM

Just did the 16cm^2 housing install this weekend. It was pretty darn easy. I was concerned goinginto it as the last thing I wanted to do was ruin a turbo. Once I tapped the exhaust housing a few times, it came right apart.<br><br>BTW, I took the entire turbo out and did it on a bench. This also had the added benefit of allowing me to get all the shavings out from drilling the manifold for a pyro thermocouple.<br><br>BOMBs away!! ;D <br><br>Carl
Old 07-23-2003, 12:12 AM

Anyone have an estimate on how in depth and time consuming the POD's are to install?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:16 AM

took me 1.5hrs to install my 370's don't know if that is slow or fast. I think slow because when 4 friends are helping you tend to stand around and talk more than normal. [undecided]<br>DM01
Old 07-23-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not hard at all. You simply loosen the fuel lines remove the retaining collar fom the inj. pull inj out. You might need to fabricate some type of puller/bumper to get the inj's out of the head due to carbon/oil deposits built up on the bottom of the inj, but thats about it. Once you have them out just reinstall and reattach fuel lines ( leave them loose for bleeding) Crank motor over untill fuel sprays from around fittings. Tighten fittings. Start motor . It will run a little rough for a while but should smooth out as it runs (raise Idle will clean it up quicker). 1.5 hours seems a pretty fair est of time.<br> Keep body parts away from fuel spray due to the High pressure fom pump. also keep in mind these are the abridged version of the correct instructions.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:47 PM

Nice I did something fast for once. I was really suprised how easy it was the first time I put new injectors in and it was a lot faster the second time. I think the first time it me and only me 3hrs to do it but thats counting stoping for lunch which only took 15 min or so I think. I useda pry bar that I bought from sears to get the injectors out. there is something in front of every injector that gives you a place to pry. If I could not get it with a pry bar I used a slide hammer with a nut that I threaded onto the injector tip as far as it would go so as I did not mess up the threads on the injector.<br>DM01
Old 07-24-2003, 02:59 PM

Also make sure to loosen/remove fuel line clamps. You can fashion homemade injector remover - take new injector to hardware store and match up metric threads to get proper size nut - get a 4 to 4 1/2&quot; bolt in the same thread size and a big nut (heh heh - he said &quot;nut&quot; ) and washer combo for the 'slide'. If you have the means - weld the nut onto the bolt. I just did POD's and my homemade remover failed after removing first 2 injectors and I found it impossible to remove injectors with vice grips and was too afraid of breaking stuff with prybar. As it turned out, an old dent puller I had has the same thread pattern/size as the injectors and saved the day ( I think it is 12mm threads ). Or just rent/buy the proper tool $$$$$.