1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

High RPM Sputter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High RPM Sputter?

Today when I was driving home form work my truck started to sputter (burp and fart) and loose power when I was in the top end of 4th and 5th gear. Two weeks ago I installed the 3200 rpm governor spring and it really woke the truck up, I was able to actually accelerate past 70mph and could get it up to 85 to pass traffic. When it started sputtering today I didnt notice any black smoke but could really hear the exhaust stutter. I went and tightned the connections to the ic and checked the air and fuel filter then took here for a another drive and it didnt make any difference, it doesnt want to get much passed 65 before it starts this. I live at 5500' elevation but figure this is more fuel related as opposed to a lack of air, also other than adding the 3200 spring nothing else has been adjusted on the pump. Any ideas what this could be?

Colby
Old 08-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You may have a weak lift pump which will starve the engine of fuel (and thus timing) on the top end. I recommend getting your hands on a tapped banjo bolt from Genos to test the pressure after the fuel filter and see where you're at. Assuming for the moment that FP is good, you simply need more timing for the higher rpms provided by the spring. I know when I first put the spring in, it took a couple weeks to change my driving habits, and as such, I didn't really wind her up over 3k for at least a week..old habits and all...so, a timing bump may also cure your burping up high...watch for white smoke--that'll be the late timing key
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM

The old lift pumps are good. They produce good pressure for the VE

BUT they are pre-filter and can get crudded up.

I am thinking about adding another filter before the lift pump. A local vendor has one with a clear plastic sight glass on the bottom and a rather nifty unit for the filter holder. He wants 150 for the setup so I am snooping around for an alternate in the super cheap category.

I do buy fuel from a VERY high volume retailer and always fill the tank. This may be why my lift pump seems ok. Trouble is the VE can pump some fuel itself and it can get itself into a lot of trouble with inadequate lubrication. Doing a pressure check is a heck of a good idea. I am looking for a cheap set-up to monitor mine.

I AM about to install a 3200 spring. I suspect that the spring may allow the system to use more fuel than the
VE can supply. Sniff around the filter and fuel pressure issues and see what happens.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 PM

I was just thinking that maybe i dissloged some mung or junk when I installed the 3200 spring and maybe its caused a clog in the pump? It's wierd, she ran great and smooth until today? But, if the lift pump is going that would cause it also. Maybe I should just replace the lift pump and get that over with. I've heard of people runnin a fuel filter half full of atf or injector cleaner in indirect injected engines to help clean an injection pump, would yall recommend trying something like that on a ctd?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I fill my filter with (insert diesel fuel injector cleaner additive of your choice) everytime I replace the fuel filter and run it, runs like a champ every time
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM

I'm gonna replace the filter and fill it up with cleaner tomorrow and see if that helps. Who has the best price on lift pumps for the 93? I've got to get this thing squared away cuz it needs to go on a 2000 mile trip next week. Thanks, Colby
Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I fill my filter with (insert diesel fuel injector cleaner additive of your choice) everytime I replace the fuel filter and run it, runs like a champ every time
I have been using ATF in mine and have exseped a fue peoples vuse about ATF no being ment to be burned and additive are desined to be burnt and are ment to clean the fuel system! ATF is a high deturgent oil tho

Soooo i will probable end up using a diesel fuel additaive my self, the next time i change my filter(fuel filter)

My additave of chose is stanadyne!

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 PM
DBF

High RPM Sputter

If the reason for the sputtering is found to be the old mechanical lift pump, I'd be mildly surprised. But then again, I get surprised quite often.

My mule was still smoothly putting out 250hp/380tq at 3600rpm on the dyno after the 3200 spring installation. With POD injectors. See gallery.

I think the old pumps do pretty well. Nonetheless, I'm going to rig up a gage for pressure after the filter & watch it. I carry a spare in the truck. Cheap enough.

Regards, DBF