1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

high pitched (gear?) whine after IP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high pitched (gear?) whine after IP replacement

ok... shoot me...

I thought I would give the neighbor guy some extra beer money, and have him do my IP R&R. (He is a 1st gen owner; diesel mechanic for local shop, and has done a 2yr D-school, + a few years in the business at local CAT dealer, so not green, but had not done this process before)

minor... problem, after reinstall
a 'higher pitched' whine / resonance that disappears upon acceleration, and also is less once warm, but comes back at an idle. Can't pinpoint but seems to be from IP gear area. Wooden dowel / stethoscope doesn't disclose frequency or location. Seems like a harmonic that is using the Alum gear housing as an amplifier. I may clamp some rubber on each side to see if it changes. Nothing was dropped into housing (like IP key...) that I'm aware of..

Pump is in fully advanced position (which the Dodge IP write-up says to do to minimize gear backlash)

I was busy doing some brake and Timing Belt projects on the VW's which I am much faster at, and these things are 'CRITICAL' too....(since I live in mountains, brakes are nice to have )

The hurrieder you go, the behinder you get...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Everything tight? All 3 nuts and the bolt into the PS pump bracket?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for reply, and I did notice some bolts missing

2 of 4 on the rear bracket, and 3 on the front sheet metal cover....

the friendly neighbor (now quite drunk), said they were missing before, so he didn't feel they needed to be there....

I'll get right on this and go over everything he did. I'm not a perfectionist, but I do believe in buttoning up stuff correctly, and I really hate to be stranded by a vehicle. Fortunately this has only happened twice in a few million miles as a truckdriver, and commuting in $35.00 VW diesels. (Tho my '93 CTD left me stranded one snowy night when I first got it, fuel solenoid wire)

BTW if you have a piano or . The pitch of the whine is a "F" above middle 'C'. Pretty high note for a diesel , it is suppressed, but not gone when rubber is clamped over front housing

It is similar to the noise that comes from a VW Diesel when you get too long of a bolt in the VE front mount and it rubs on your pump pulley. (More of a ringing sound) The CTD has studs so this is not the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 AM
KRB

Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts
I noticed a different "whine" from mine when I swapped injectors. The only thing I can figure is that when I swapped injectors, the idle speed changed and after adjusting it, it is a little lower than what I'm used to so maybe I'm hearing just a different "level" of noise? I can give a little fuel to increase the rpm and it "goes away" (or gets covered up?).

I couldn't/can't find anything wrong or different. Sounds like it's coming from the grill area...

Maybe the pump adjustments affected your idle and you're just hearing a different rpm and the resulting cadence? Don't know, just throwing things out there to consider...

Any more luck finding issues with the rebuild?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Just a thought. I wonder if he got the old gasket cleaned off properly so as not to **** the pump slightly. I imagine the misalignment of the gear would whine like that. Have you seen any oil leaking from that area?

Edwin