1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HI!! I'm a NOOB. What can I do for cheap/easy mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI!! I'm a NOOB. What can I do for cheap/easy mods?

Sorry to bug you guys. I tried to use the FAQ search thingy, but it doesn't seem to work. I just bought a 91 250 4X4 w/149k on it. What can I do that's cheap and easy to turn up the juice??? I have a tiny bit of diesel experience ( US ARMY) so I have basic knowledge. Also, will these mods affect fuel mileage all the time, or only when I'm "in it?" Thanks for your help, it is great to know that there is a forum like this to go to for help.

Steve
Oregon
Old 10-28-2005, 01:41 AM

Hey Steve welcome to the site, your gonna love it. Try typing in fuel pump mods in the search spot. There is a bunch of stuff on here and the guys here will pretty much walk you through it all. Any way there will be several here in awhile letting you know where to look and giving great tips and advice on anything you want to know. Heck NeedMoPower is gonna stop by my place next week and show me how to turn my fuel pump up ! Like I said the people on here are really great and will help you out. Good luck. Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard Steve. there is a lot of experience around here for you to soak up, so dont be shy about asking questions.the first thing that you need to do if the truck is stock, is to get that exhaust pipe lopped of in front of the rear wheel. they are kinked real bad above the rear end. or if you have the funds get a 4" exhaust on her. then there is the air filter, the best bet is a bhaf, but I am running a k&n with a swiss cheezed air box.before you do any pump adj. you need guages to monitor what the engine is doing. by the way, where are you in Oregon. I am in Winston, and would be happy to help you in any way.And by the way, the best exhaust is 5" stack's.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 AM

OK so lets tell Steve, that a bhaf, means a big honkin air filter.
You need to install a Pyrometer to check exhaust temperature. then start the mods right away. go to the sites that were mentioned earlier and start turning up the fuel. Keep asking questions and learning, its free here.
God bless America!!!!!! Land that I love!!!!!! stand beside her and guide her............You are being sucked in to a never ending battle of "Horsepower, and torque"
Good luck
PS
I love my freedom, Thank you!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 AM

WELCOME! I had only Volvo marine experience when I bought mine but I learned really quick by asking questions on here. I started out just like you wanting more FREE power and man is there alot of power you can get with just free mods. Do a search and pull up all the posts I started, its got all the dummie fied answers to all the free mod questions.

In 2 days of free mod tweeking I went from a really slow underpowered tank to roasting the tires half way through first gear. It really pulls hard now once the boost builds and I can beat my buddies 04' 4x4 silverado from 0-75mph. Of all 5 of my vehicles, my old cummins is one of the favorites to drive.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 91TURBODIESEL
Sorry to bug you guys. I tried to use the FAQ search thingy, but it doesn't seem to work. I just bought a 91 250 4X4 w/149k on it. What can I do that's cheap and easy to turn up the juice??? I have a tiny bit of diesel experience ( US ARMY) so I have basic knowledge. Also, will these mods affect fuel mileage all the time, or only when I'm "in it?" Thanks for your help, it is great to know that there is a forum like this to go to for help.

Steve
Oregon
Welcome aboard, It's good to see more owners of older trucks getting involved. Check out my signature. All total I have about 500 bucks tied up in performance mods. In two weeks I should have my first dyno run to see how well I listened to these guys. They have been extremely helpful.