1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help or possible supervision with upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help or possible supervision with upgrades.

I have POD's, Piers hybrid HX 35/16, fuel pin, 3200 gsk and guages to install. I felt I could do all of the install myself until the parts started to arrive, then I started to get nervous and wonder if I had bit off more than I can chew. The apprehension would not be as great if there was anyone in the area with credentials that I could ask for help if I had trouble. I have very few weekends off in which to complete the install. I would appreciate any guidance on who to possibly turn to, i.e. call, if I have any trouble. If anyone fairly local that truly knows what they are doing with injectors and VE pumps would like to assist I would be very pleased.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Ref. my request for help and supervision.

I live in Mcbain, MI.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trickiest part of those parts will be the 3200 spring, and it's not too hard as long as you follow the instructions. It helps to have a second pair of hands there to help too.

I've never done injectors, but they sound pretty easy. Send me a PM when you decide to put everything in and I'll PM you back with my cell phone number.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the 3200 spring: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Governor_Spring/

Injector removal tool:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=124728

The gauges are fairly easy; drill for the pyrometer about 3/4" away from the flange in the back half of the manifold.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by outlaw5.9
I have POD's, Piers hybrid HX 35/16, fuel pin, 3200 gsk and guages to install. I felt I could do all of the install myself until the parts started to arrive, then I started to get nervous and wonder if I had bit off more than I can chew. The apprehension would not be as great if there was anyone in the area with credentials that I could ask for help if I had trouble. I have very few weekends off in which to complete the install. I would appreciate any guidance on who to possibly turn to, i.e. call, if I have any trouble. If anyone fairly local that truly knows what they are doing with injectors and VE pumps would like to assist I would be very pleased.
I did all of my own wrenching except the tranny. That I left to the expert. Where are you?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

I would do one thing at a time, that way it isnt so intimidating. The turbo is a simple cwap, just make sure to use new seals and get the mating surfaces of th edrain tube scraped off well.

Injectors are one step more complex than spark plugs in a gasser- remove th enut and use your choice of methods to pull them out. I've had good luck with lots of PB Blaster and some 10" Vice Grips.

I agree with gman07- the trickiest of them all is the gove spring. But, be careful, pay attention, and KEEP IT CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT!!! and you should do ok.

Gauges are a cinch- the manifold is pretty soft. Drill your 1/8 or 1/4NPT hole while you have the turbo off and you'll be good. There is a hole right behind the AFC tube in the head to install your boost gauge fitting.

If you were closer, I'd tell ya to come on over and I'd lend a hand. You can come over anyway, but you'd spend more time travelling than anything else.

Daniel