1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP......Pass. Door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP......Pass. Door won't open/ GOT IT..

Passenger door wouldn't latch closed so I moved the latch pin (or whatever it's called in the door frame) outward so the latch pin would go deeper into the latch. Now the door won't open .........at all.

How do I get the door to open so I can move the latch pin back to where it was? Any pics of the latch and instructions on what to push/pull or what will help. All I can do is look down thru the window opening and see the latch/door lock mechanism/ etc.......

Billy

Last edited by BKTC; 04-03-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by BKTC
Passenger door wouldn't latch closed so I moved the latch pin (or whatever it's called in the door frame) outward so the latch pin would go deeper into the latch. Now the door won't open .........at all.

How do I get the door to open so I can move the latch pin back to where it was? Any pics of the latch and instructions on what to push/pull or what will help. All I can do is look down thru the window opening and see the latch/door lock mechanism/ etc.......

Billy
I assume that you tried inside and outside to open it? If that doesn't work, I believe that you should be able to get the door panel off, or at least loose. If you can get to the point that you can get your hand down in there, you should be able to find the latch arm and work it. Sorry I don't have any pics...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Also, try holding the lock up as you try it...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Still need HELP.....

I tried holding the lock up and I tried from inside and out..........

Problem is I can't get the inside door panel off as the seat is in the way and I can't raise/move the seat as the arm reast keeps it from folding forward......The only access I have at this point is thru the window channel opening. I'm hoping I can fish a long screwdriver or heavy duty wire in there and open the door that way. Any suggestions will be helpful...Also any pics of the door latch that might help me figure out a way to put pressure on something to open door would also help.

Thanks in advance...........

Billy
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I tried holding the lock up and I tried from inside and out..........

Problem is I can get the inside door panel off as the seat is in the way and I can't raise/move the seat as the arm reast keeps it from folding forward......The only access I have at this point is thru the window channel opening. I'm hoping I can fish a long screwdriver or heavy duty wire in there and open the door that way. Any suggestions will be helpful...Also any pics of the door latch that might help me figure out a way to put pressure on something to open door would also help.

Thanks in advance...........

Billy

Try a clothes hanger, you might get lucky. There is a long rod that goes from the inside door latch to the arm on the actual latch. I would try a fishing expedition with a clothes hanger...Good luck...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Tried that......

Mark:
Yeah, That's what I tried first (the coat hanger and a long screwdriver) but seems I can't get the right rod or move it in the right direction......I'm using a flashlight to see the inside of the door panel and latch but I can't seem to manipulate the correct part............or not making it move enough to "unlatch".....

That's why I'm hoping for pics of the right rod or part to move in the correct direction to "unlatch" the thing.........

Billy
Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
From the actual handle on the inside of the door you pull backwards, which pulls the long rod attaching the door handle to the latching mechanism forward.

A lot of times they used plastic clips to hold the rods to the latching mechanism...these plastic clips will eventually deteriorate and fail. When they do you can either loose the ability to lock/unlock your door with the key, or the door lock button will no longer function, or as I think has happened to you the door will no longer open from the inside or outside.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Another possibility is that the lock arm is in the locked position. Is it acting like it's locked? Try following down from the lock and see if you can work that arm. Does it still have the bench seat? You could go below, remove the four nuts holding the seat on and try to move it out of the way to remove the door panel...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Locks..

I have electric locks and they seem to be working fine. I can lock or unlock the doors using them. I can also lock/unlock the doors manually.
What I think happened is when I moved the stiker/latch pin (in the door jam) it now won't allow the latch to "unlatch". I need to push or pull the latch manually (other than using the inside or outside door handles) so the latch will "unlatch". I just can't figure out which way the latch actually works so I can push/pull the right rod or lever....

Again, I'm doing this thru the window slot above the latch (about an inch wide and couple of inches from front to back) and using a flashlight to see the latch and rods. I may have to get in and remove the passenger seat so I can then remove the door liner/cover so I can see directly into the door latch. I was trying to avoid removing everything to get at the latch.

I found some pics of the latch that Jim Lane posted but they don't show enough for me to figure out how it works........

Billy
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Got it open......

O.K. Not exactly sure what I did but I think Mark was right ....

I thought the door was unlocked but after spraying some penetrating oil and working the lock up and down the door opened. I thought it was unlocked but apparently it was NOT..........

Now the door panel will come off and I'll clean/check the latch and see if the problem goes away........also the locking mechanism will get a good going over/cleaning.

Thanks for all the advise/help and rapid responses.........

Billy
Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator

O.K. Not exactly sure what I did but I think Mark was right ....

I thought the door was unlocked but after spraying some penetrating oil and working the lock up and down the door opened. I thought it was unlocked but apparently it was NOT..........

Now the door panel will come off and I'll clean/check the latch and see if the problem goes away........also the locking mechanism will get a good going over/cleaning.

Thanks for all the advise/help and rapid responses.........

Billy
Don't feel bad, I was a captain on a ladder truck for many years. We carried specialized extrication equipment, like the Hurst tool. We would get called to auto accidents for extrication, but in more than half the cases, I either reached in and unlocked the door or tried the inside handle and opened the door. These guys were professionals. I am glad you got it...Mark
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM

my truck the pass door was stuck closed and when you tried to open it it would pull the lock down i had to have my brother work the door handle while i worked the lock and we finally got it just right and got it open, glad you got it figured out.