1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help! Need an internal pump part! top hat!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Need an internal pump part! top hat!

So i am in the process of takin my afc lever out and when i went to take the top of the pump off and to disconnect the 366 spring from the top hat, I didn't hold my finger on the back of the tophat and pulled the 366 spring out with needle nose pliers and then I heard a ting ting and the top hat sprung out into the three pieces. All i could find was the little spring, the back washer plate and I can't find the little top hat pin with the hole in it that the governor spring goes through, my shop is a mess and I looked all over the shop and around the engine and pump and underneath and everywhere I can think of and i can't find it. So I will need to buy one. I only need to buy the top hat piece though... does anyone have a VE pump they are sellin little parts out of? or can i order them from Bosch or what? I just need a tophat fast!!!! I also need to change the shut off solenoid cuz my truck won't turn off with the key cuz I turned the full power screw up too much and it blew the solenoid. I think I only need to buy the little rubber piece, so where do i get this? could i order that from bosch too?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM

call terry thain, moonlight diesel. ive got bosch parts from him before. i have a spare pump i wont need for awhile if you want to drive to logan you can borrow what you need then bring back when you get your stuff.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel your pain!! I was in the same boat last week.. I found it all besides the spring!! At least I know it can happen to anyone.. Good luck
Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM

oh its maddening! alright I will call moonlight tomorrow and see what they have and if they don't have one I might buy the top hat from you crewcab. Is that spare pump still good? If you wanna sell the whole thing for cheap, I would probably buy it. I want to find an old VE pump that doesn't work, and I wanna tear it apart and take some parts from it if i need them and I'd like to just tear it down and see how it all works.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM

no spare parts i can let go, just meant i can loan you something if you need to get on the road quik,return me parts when you get replacement.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Hey DNR, do you need a spring? I have the spring and I could mail it to you and it would save you some hassle! If I buy a new part, I will probably buy the whole top hat assembly so all 3 parts.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
Hey DNR, do you need a spring? I have the spring and I could mail it to you and it would save you some hassle! If I buy a new part, I will probably buy the whole top hat assembly so all 3 parts.
Thanks, but I sent my Dad to the pump shop and they gave him a handfull of them!!.. I told him to get the whole assy, but I got all springs instead.. thanks for the offer..
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM

alright just thought I would check. So did you take your afc lever out? or just put the 366 spring in? or both?

Well I called moonlight, and Jason said he would look around for one, but he wasn't sure if he had one or not. I'm not sure if he knew exactly what part I meant though, I'm thinkin he thought I was talkin about the governor spring so I might call them back tomorrow and make sure he got what part I meant. They said they would call me back if they had one, but I'm not sure if they'll have one. Anyone else know where I can get one? I don't really know of any pump shops around here... Is there any place online I can order one if moonlight doesn't have one? does anyone happen to have the part number of the top hat? The truck is just sittin in the shop all torn apart, and I'd like to get it back together asap. It is givin me a chance to get my ladder bars on though! thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM

idk what that is but my idle is high and drops when a load is put on it. and someon said that was my problem. what moonlight diesel i need their number to buy a new tophat too. could someone take a pic of it and list how to fix this problem. how much is it for a new tophat thingy with all 3 parts
Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by wmbthe4
idk what that is but my idle is high and drops when a load is put on it. and someon said that was my problem. what moonlight diesel i need their number to buy a new tophat too. could someone take a pic of it and list how to fix this problem. how much is it for a new tophat thingy with all 3 parts
Goto you tube. There's a video on there of how to do the gov spring. Watch it I'm pretty sure it'll show you what the "top hat" is along the process of the install. Also try google search for moonlight diesel you will find the number.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the "top hat" is the retaining pin:
Position 120 - Retaining Pin (1 463 123 363)

And in case you lost the seat:
Position 203 - Spring Seat (1 460 500 307)
Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM

I've lost two of them now, but luckily I had a spare pump the 2nd time so all is good. Back when this happened a guy on cumminsforum sold me these parts and shipped them to me. I'm sure any local Bosch Pump shop should be able to get them for you, just not Industrial Injection. They told me they were discontinued (which is a lie) and that I was an idiot for tearing my pump apart and that the pump wont work now (even though I've had it apart 3 times and it runs just fine) . Lets just say I haven't ever been back since and don't plan to.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
some of those shops are complete primadona types, youd think their building rockets, goldfarb and associates sells core pumps for reasonable, with the luck your having, you might get a couple, im looking at the same myself, the fuel pin has been leaking, ive got to reseal the top next. im sure a lot of 1st genners can relate, with that cover in your hand all ive got to do is remove that spring.......
Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That doesn't happen if you tap the throttle shaft out of the top and let the spring/linkage assembly lay down on top of the governor.

Then you can take the top and place it somewhere safe, then come back and remove the spring from the linkage without having to juggle 3 different things.

Accidents do happen, this is why I usually have spares.
In multiples

Mark.