1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help! Need info about alloy rims on 92 CTD 4WD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help! Need info about alloy rims on 92 CTD 4WD!

So I was just driving down the freeway today, towing a trailer and minding my own business, when I start getting a vibration. I pull over, glance around for low tires, see nothing out of the ordinary and decide to go to the next exit 1/2 mile away to pull off and look it over more closely without endangering my life so much. I don't even make the half-mile before my left rear wheel comes loose and I come skidding and screeching to a halt on the shoulder. Miraculously, the tire missed everything and everybody and ended up on the same side of the road as I was on. Destroyed the drum though, and the alloy rim.

When I called around to wrecking yards looking for a rim, they all insisted that my truck (1992 CTD 4WD LE) came only with steel rims and that I was SOL and would need to buy a whole new matching set or switch to steel, since the rims I have must be aftermarket and there was no hope fo finding a match. But! I have seen these same rims on other trucks like mine, including one I just saw for sale online today.

Can anyone help me out here with whether or not this is a factory rim and where I can get another one (or two!)?

(I know, if I was more into washing my truck, they would be all shiny and purty, but then they'd just get all dirty again...)

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not factory....
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodrat, the only factory wheel was a steel rim as far as i know. i looked for rims once and almost all of them say *not intended for use with diesel engine* i know a lot of guys put different rims on thier trucks but most are not rated for out trucks and if you tow heavy it could mean trouble.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Yeah, I did notice that when I was looking at them more closely just now, they are rated for 3000# each, and my axle is rated at 6200#, plus they say not to inflate them more than 60 psi, and I've been running them at 80 psi for almost 80,000 miles.... . Of course, all this info is on the INSIDE of the rim, rather than where one can see it when airing up the tire...

And I do tow a lot, and sometimes quite heavy for a 3/4 ton truck. I guess I'll just go get a set of steel wheels after all... they just looked so nice!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You probably have already thought of this, but why not sell the other three after you clean them up and then buy you some safer rims?
Old 05-27-2006, 02:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
ahh just go with some stock ford/alcoa aluminum rims and be done with it. you can find them, with a little skullduggery
Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 AM

I live in Hawaii and have the same rims on my truck. Other vintage Dodge Rams around also have the same rims. I suspect that although they are not factory, Dodge may have had some contract with an add-on package available nationwide. There must be some alloy rims to match somewhere.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain Dean
I live in Hawaii and have the same rims on my truck. Other vintage Dodge Rams around also have the same rims. I suspect that although they are not factory, Dodge may have had some contract with an add-on package available nationwide. There must be some alloy rims to match somewhere.
Well, guess woodrat needs to book his ticket to come see you in Hawaii and get a spare rim!

I'm sure his wife will understand perfectly.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Looks like some American Racing Outlaw 2's, that i had on an old chevy. I never had a problem with them, but i never ran that much pressure in them. A friend of my had one on this blazer that came off much as yours did, his lug nuts backed off after time.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 6WHEELER
Looks like some American Racing Outlaw 2's.
I will second that one. It looks alot like an Outlaw II to me also.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...ted&section=S#
Old 05-28-2006, 08:47 AM

My truck is originally from Moses Lake, Wash. and has these very same rims.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:30 PM

my truck was also originally from eastern WA
Old 05-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Banned

What truck(or car for that matter) hasn't had a set of AE outlaw 2's put onthem at some point
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 AM

Ya, I agree, those aren't stock/factory wheels though I too have seen those wheels on more than one Dodge/Cummins truck.
If you're looking for wheels that will work/fit our trucks and you're in the northwest may I suggest Les Schwab? I purchased my Modern brand wheels from them several years ago and I have had nothing but good things to say about these wheels. They're strong, look good (to me. Look in my photo gallery) and weren't that much money comparatively speaking. While everyone has their own style on what kind of wheel they want to run on their truck, I like the solid wheel becasue of the lack of brake dust that seems prevailant on wheels with holes in them, especially in the front. They have one HeLL of a selection of wheels and tires and you can go out of there STYLIN!! Good luuck! Chuck
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM

If I had the bucks I would probably look around for some of those HD Ford/Alcoa rims that someone suggested, but for now I am going to get a set of stock steel. I'll keep looking for an AR outlaw 2 as well to make a complete set, because they do look nice, but now that I have seen the PSI and weight ratings for it, and had one fall off on the freeway, I'm not so sure I want to mess with the alloys anymore if they are not rated for what I do with them.