1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help me pick my first 1st Gen truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot Simplysmn and Thrashingcows for your comments on K&N filters...much appreciated!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Definitely agree! Wait for the one you want and it'll be worth it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Would you buy a truck with a shot odometer?

How do you guys feel about buying a truck with a shot odometer?
I'm coming across several of those and I usually pass them....I was told by my insurance company that they will not insure a vehicle with a shot odometer because they price their policies based on the annual miles traveled and need to keep track of that.
Yet, a few sellers I've spoken to say that's no problem at all, that they have insured their trucks with shot odometers for years...
Besides the insurance issue, how does one go about regular maintenance with a shot odometer?
Is this something you would shy from or something you would go for?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all goes off how the truck look's if it's well care'd for then I would buy it and if it look's like a dump on wheel's forget it .
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
If you look at a turbo inlet on a truck that runs a oil soaked cotton element air filter, you will see a lot of dust and dirt caked in and around the housing. Now look at the same area on a truck with a paper element filter, it will be almost perfectly clean.

In some cases new truck warranties will be voided if they are found to have a K&N, or similar type filter.
Most definitely. I've done some reading on the subject of air paper element filters when it comes to Cummins engines over the long weekend which substantiates what you wrote above.
There's an important paper published by Cummins titled "The Importance of Using a Paper Air Filter" which thoroughly covers it....and several good forum threads....
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I'm a commercial truck driver, and I look at what our big trucks run...Paper filters! If the oil soaked, cotton units were so great, then why hasn't the commercial truck industry adopted them? The manufacturers of these trucks, and motors, are constantly looking at was to maximize fuel consumption and performance.

If I need more air flow through my paper filter in my truck, I will just go with a BHAF. More then I could ever need.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Well, I ended up purchasing a 2nd gen Isuzu Trooper yesterday. I'll build a storage/sleeping platform for it and use it for the rest of the summer/fall to go camping with my gf... I needed something right now and luckily enough the truck seems in very good shape. I'll of course keep an eye on finding a suitable 1st gen Dodge Cummins in the long run. This way I can take the time to wait for the right truck (manual tr, 4x4, my price range) to come along.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well too bad you couldn't find the truck you want now...but at least you've gotten out into the hills where you want to be. And at least now you can take your time finding the right truck.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well too bad you couldn't find the truck you want now...but at least you've gotten out into the hills where you want to be. And at least now you can take your time finding the right truck.
My heart is still set on a 1st gen Cummins, this is just a (good) temporary solution.