1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help me pick my first 1st Gen truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'd rather not go for a conversion at this point, as I don't have the mechanical skills to do something like that.

How far would you guys be willing to travel for a truck? The problem with traveling long distances is that you need to rely on the info provided by the seller, and you might take a long trip only to find out the truck doesn't quite fit the description provided/what you expected.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
If you find something in an outlying area you can always post up the location here on the board and ask if someone close by cold go look at it for you. I know I'm always willing to help out a long distance buyer.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by LJinLA
Well, I'd rather not go for a conversion at this point, as I don't have the mechanical skills to do something like that.

How far would you guys be willing to travel for a truck? The problem with traveling long distances is that you need to rely on the info provided by the seller, and you might take a long trip only to find out the truck doesn't quite fit the description provided/what you expected.
I once went from AZ to TN to pick up a boat. Make it a combo vacation/truck hunt. Like 93flatbed said there are at least 2 here in phoenix and probably more nearby. Texas and NM are pretty close also. You are lucky to not have to search in the rust belt...Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtdoragary
I agree. Don't compromise on 4WD. When you need it, you don't want to be without it. I'd advise you to wait on a 4WD.
Yeah, I will vouch for the worthlessnicity of a 2wd Cummins after any amount of rain or snow.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Thanks...
So far I've used craigslist, searchtempest, autotrader, local paper classifieds to search all over California.... There are several sensibly priced and in good shape, but haven't come across a 4x4 manual yet not priced over $9K....
I know that sooner or later will find the truck I'm looking for.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Be sure to use "dodge diesel" and "Cummings". I've found trucks like that. Many people misspell, don't know the right name things like that. Also 93 insted of 1993.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Also search for just "dodge 1993" and "dodge 93" going all the way back from 1993 to 1989. I've found stuff just listed that way as well.

There was a nice one up here locally to me, last week at least...W350, cummins, 5speed, clubcab...$6500 cdn.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 93flatbed
Be sure to use "dodge diesel" and "Cummings". I've found trucks like that. Many people misspell, don't know the right name things like that. Also 93 insted of 1993.
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Also search for just "dodge 1993" and "dodge 93" going all the way back from 1993 to 1989. I've found stuff just listed that way as well.
Thanks a lot for suggesting this ... I hadn't thought of it
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
I once went from AZ to TN to pick up a boat. Make it a combo vacation/truck hunt. Like 93flatbed said there are at least 2 here in phoenix and probably more nearby. Texas and NM are pretty close also. You are lucky to not have to search in the rust belt...Mark
I've gone from Florida to Wisconsin and New York to pick up boats and to Kansas to pick up a harley. BUT THAT was in the days of buck fifty diesel!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by mtdoragary
I've gone from Florida to Wisconsin and New York to pick up boats and to Kansas to pick up a harley. BUT THAT was in the days of buck fifty diesel!!!
Buck fifty diesel! What's that?
I bought my 91.5 in Texas in 2003. Diesel was $.79/gal then....I miss those days!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 AM

I miss 19 cent/gal diesel and 26 cent/gal gas, but I DON'T miss $25 a week paychecks!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Has any of you ever bought a salvage title truck and fixed it?
It's a bit adventurous, but there is a very local to me, damaged 1992 Ram 4x4 manual. According to the owner it can be started and driven. The truck, apart from the accident damage looks in very good condition, no rust, excellent interior/exterior, very clean engine, etc. Owner initially wanted $3.5K but I think I can get it for $2K or less. Can anyone give any feedback on this, please?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Has any of you ever bought a salvage title truck and fixed it?
It's a bit adventurous, but there is a very local to me, damaged 1992 Ram 4x4 manual. According to the owner it can be started and driven. The truck, apart from the accident damage looks in very good condition, no rust, excellent interior/exterior, very clean engine, etc. Owner initially wanted $3.5K but I think I can get it for $2K or less. Can anyone give any feedback on this, please?
The reason that it has a salvage title is because it was damaged more than the insurance company wanted to pay to fix it, its blue book value. We know that we value these trucks more than their blue book value. I have a salvage titled mc that was laid down and took out the fairing and rear bags. Mechanically it was perfect and 15 years later she still runs great. I would not be worried if it seems like you can fix it, or maybe it would be a good donor truck...Mark
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Well, I'd very much like to jump on it, but here is my dilemma:
The damage seems to be just to the body, the engine isn't damaged. However, the damage to the front of the body is extensive: on the right corner, the headlight is gone, the hood bent, much of the front grill, bumper, etc. is no longer there.
Now, I don't have a garage or other place where to store the truck - I would have to park it in the street, in a highly trafficked section of Los Angeles.
Since the truck can be driven, I thought I might be able to give it a temporary fix so that it wouldn't draw too much attention and could be registered as a non-salvage vehicle, if this is at all possible by simply changing its status from salvage, and then work on it little by little.
I know, it's a very precarious way to go about it, but there's nothing else I can do about it in my present situation. The deal is very tempting to me and it'll probably be gone quickly unless I grab it immediately.
But, unless I can change the truck's status from salvage title so that it can be legally driven and parked on the street, this is unfortunately a deal I won't be able to take advantage of.
If it is as simple as buying the truck, going to the DMV to register it and change its status.......then it could be a go. Can a vehicle with a salvage title be driven ordinarily and parked in the street? Unfortunately, I have no experience with this type of stuff. Will call the DMV first thing in the morning.

If someone has any input in this sense, it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Administrator

If it is as simple as buying the truck, going to the DMV to register it and change its status.......then it could be a go. Can a vehicle with a salvage title be driven ordinarily and parked in the street? Unfortunately, I have no experience with this type of stuff. Will call the DMV first thing in the morning.

If someone has any input in this sense, it would be much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure that once an insurance company lists it a salvage, it is forever salvage, but I could be wrong...Mark

Quick Reply: Help me pick my first 1st Gen truck!