1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP! "Maxx250"s W250 DOA...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! "Maxx250"s W250 down...

My apologies to the mods for NOT putting this in the main board Help! section, but let's face it, 99% of all 2nd/3rd gen owners are clueless about our rigs...

Anyways he called me at 0600 saying he was tooling down the highway WOT (70mph) and all the sudden the RPMs increased drastically (NO tach, so no real data... other than spooked him). He pulled cable and got it slowed down off the road...

- I figured it must be the fuel screw and something minor changed in the pump to allow it to runaway. Since the adj. between rolling coal & run-a-way is very close, I told him to back off the fuel screw by 1/2 turn. He backed it out approx 3/4 - 1.5 turns (kinda sketchy in the dark, with flashlight, inches from idiots screaming past)... now he's got NO START.

- He's sure there's fuel in the tank and got sprayed with fuel while cracking the injectors. Seems he does have fuel...

1) It seems to me that IF something in the governor broke, it should keep it from running away or running period?

2) IF it was the fuel screw, it's potentially backed out too far?

3) Assorted fueling issues like clogged LP inlet screen (bearkiller) or LP (jim lane)? Do the CTDs "surge" (runs like a bat outta... for a few seconds) like most diesels when sucking air pre-IP? I thought this might be a critical symptom?

He's looking for a tow to the house... my trailer isn't wide enough (no winch or come-along either ) or I'd go ****** him. I have to work later, but will try to slide by and lend a hand...

So anyone have additional things to check?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Automatic or manual trans? Did the RPM just shoot up or did the truck accelerate out of control? The fact that he got it shut down with the pull cable makes me rule out running on oil from a blown turbo.

Diesels don't behave like a 2 stroke gasser being leaned out. When you restrict the fuel supply they bog and die.

I would put the fuel screw back and try again. I think it's backed out too far and now the idle is too low for it to stay running.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Alright Wanna here we go,this is maxx250,once I got off the road and shut it down I waited a little while and fired it up again,it went through the roof,so Ishut it down,I crawled under the hood and backed my scew off,wouldnt start,put the scew back in some and still would not start.I cracked 2 injectors and am getting fuel to them,Istayed on the side of the road until about 11:00 and got towed home(135.00)Dave came over and we jumped on it,it still would not fire,Ive cracked all 6 inj. now and have fuel on all,it seems like it is trying more to start now but just wont quite get there. What am I missing dude? Its an automatic
thanks maxx250
Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Also... We checked voltage to the solenoid & had 12V... but ended up pulling the plunger out since it doesn't work and he has the pull cable.

I ran the screw back in another turn, but still nothing... even operating the throttle, it wasn't firing. However, now that he's bleed the lines, it may take a little throttle to keep it running...
Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, try bleeding the lines. Hold the pedal down so if it catches it will stay running.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Roger that, working it now will respond soon
Old 10-14-2007, 04:38 PM

More of the same,it sounds like its about to catch and doesnt,its like right there and it wont quite grab......Im running out of ideas
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM

myne did that for about an hour before it fired when i put new injectors in it. id say keep granking for a little bit. How long are you cranking with the injector lines cracked open? atleast 15 seconds?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Try to get the screw back where it was. Give it a snort of ether and see if you can get it to light off.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Ive got the screw back close to where it was,I think.Ive tried ether with Caver Dave and it sounds like its cranked over and when I turn the key loose its not quite there yet.I was prob cranking it for 10 sec with injectors cracked.
Ive walked away for now,I thought I better.....But Im still reading replys and writing down ideas.
Thanks fellas
Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to cover the obvious, is your battery charged enough at this point to crank at starting speed?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 PM

crank it for about 15-20 seconds and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 PM

12 valve,no as a matter of fact its not,I have pretty much had to leave my 79 bronco hooked up to my truck to keep it able to crank.
I'll try again tommorow,I had to walk away from it tonight,Im pretty frusterated with it.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM

you guys get it fixed yet??

if not Maxx250 where are you in NC?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Diesels don't behave like a 2 stroke gasser being leaned out. When you restrict the fuel supply they bog and die.

Wanna... I meant to imply more of an introduction of air into the supply, rather than the fuel supply being restricted or cut off entirely. When I was running the '92 F250 w/ 7.3L NA... it would suck air (tank was empty or sloshing near empty) and it would in fact go ballistic! I think the NA crowd referred to it as "surging"???? (uncontrollable RPM & power increase for a few seconds). After the first time, I always "listened" to the signs and switched tanks.

I have no idea if this same thing occur in the CTD's? That's why I asked if a few seconds after the pickup or hole in the line gulped some air on a CTD, could it have caused the issue Maxx250 saw on the road?

IIRC, I seen a few folks mention nicked/cracked supply lines outta the tank, but it would seem to be evident *if* the LP wasn't able to suction fuel up to that point?

I'd also like to know what amount of resistance is felt while thumbing the primer on the LP... guess I could have tried it on mine, but didn't get home until 2200 and left out before 0700 today.

Quick Reply: HELP! "Maxx250"s W250 DOA...