1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP! 727 tranny question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop the pan , disconnect the linkage at the trans. manually shift, while looking up.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mic, from what I have read it sounds to me like when you loosened the linkage and then re-tightened it that when you put the shifter into gear from the inside of the truck the tranny is between gears. I would loosen the lock on the linkage again. and make sure that this is not the problem.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 AM

linkage

im thinking the same thing as timb mic thats y you need someone to be in the truck to hold the brake while you manualy change gears that way your the one that makes it click youll feel it click when in gear so before you go in the pan try that maybe you just bent a rod or something without wanting to

just my 2 cents
Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM

i see your point with this, and i makes perfect sence to me. that is the problem that i was having before, it would not always go all the way to P so it would roll. that problem is fixed, it definately goes all the way into P. i went out and started it up just not and SLOWLY moved the shift lever along, not allowning it to just call into the "clicks" and there is absolutely no indication of trying to get into gear. the truck will roll freely as if in neutral in all gear slots other than P. i believe i am down to removing the pan to make sure that everything is connected. again i don't know how relavent this is but the neutral safety switch keeps the Rev lights on in P, R, and N. other than that they go off, so something is moving in there...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:09 PM

ok, the pan is off and i don't have the digital camera so i will describe it as best i can. when the shift lever is moved on the outside i move a lever on the inside. it looks to me like the lever SHOULD move a rod that is close to it in and out, these two pieces are NOT connected. the rod is perpendicular to the truck and goes into the center of the transmission, the rod itseld if horizontal. the end of the rod is larger, then there is a smaller area followed but another lager area. it looks to me that the lever coming from the shift should attach in here, what i don't understand it, how did they come apart (the lever is too high up for the rod) and is there an adjustment to bring it down? i don't feel that bending the lever is the way to go! thanks for all the continued help!!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM

actually you are going to have to bend the arm tip on your shift lever in the tranny, or your valve body is loose, not likely though, don't worry about hurting the arm, when rebuilding the trannys you some times have to rebend the arms to get the manual valve to line up right. the manul valve is the piece that slides into the valve body. just make sure that the arm tip goes in between the two lands on the end of the valve.

make sure the manual valve is still in good shape and that nothing is broken inside.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 727 tranny question?-1lastscan.jpg  
Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM

well i didn't have to bend anything. it seems that there must have been a washer or something of the sort missing between the tv cable lever, and the shifter lever on the outside of the tranny. i lined everything up, pushed down on the shifter lever and pushed up on the tv cable lever. i put a cut washer in between the 2 and scured it in place, problem solved.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 AM

problem

happy for you