1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP! 727 tranny question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! 727 tranny question?

today i was working on the truck. i was adjusting the linkage because when the tranny was redone by the PO it seems that the linkage was not correct. i noticed that the truck would not always go all the way into park. so i was going to adjust slightly so that it would go all the way in without having to go back into rev and then to park. all i did was loosen and start to move the linkage. i bumped the TV cable end and it popped off, so i snapped it back into place. when i got back into the truck it would not start in P. so i ran it over to N and it would not start. i went all the way to 1 and back to N to make sure i was in the right place and it fired right up, but when i put it into gear...... NOTHING! i have tried a few more times. same deal, i have to go to 1 and back to N it will start but will not go into gear. from what i know there was nothing i did to cause this... fluid level is perfect, color and smell of the fluid are fine and i have put over 1500 miles on it since i got it, absolutely no problems. please HELP!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My TV cable fell off once and it acted like this. The only gear I could launch in was 2nd. I guess check and make sure the TV cable is attached and working. That's all I've got.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "comb" inside the tranny might need a bit of adjustment. While trying to start it move the shift lever a little bit from right to left while in neutral. If it starts you need to bend the comb.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:03 PM

start

mic maybe you broke one of those 2 wires next to cable its a plug in with 2 wires same happened to me i just plugger it back in and all is good
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM

starting problem was easily fixed with a new neutral safety switch.... but it still won't take gear. the neutral safety switch is 3 wires, i can't seem to find this 2 wire deal... i'm still looking. it has worked perfectly so i know i just bumped something! dodge 92, the 2 wire thing on the tranny or the other end of the tv cable?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 PM

so still no luck with finding the "2 wires" when the wife got home she was nice enough to tell me that even though the neutral switch cured the starting issure apparently now i have backup lights in P, R, and N. the others they go off, and she said they blink off and back on when going from R to N. i know this has to be something simple, someone PLEASE help me out. earlier i was able to cast it off but now it's starting to get to me! lol. thanks in advance.
mark
Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Too properly adjust your linkage place the Shift lever in N. with the wheels blocked crawl under and manualy place the trans in N then re-attach/adjust your linkage.
As far as T/V linkage adjustment goes, hold the throttle all the way open then hold the T/V lever all the way forward. Tighten your adjuster. That should do it.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM

i appreciate the proper procedure, i will be adjusting the TV once i get this sorted out... and ideas on the going into gear issue? the lever (on the tranny and in the cab) will go into every position, but will not go either forward or backwards, always feels like it's in neutral.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM

My guess is the shifter arm is no longer hooked up to the manual valve which tells your valve body where to send fluid for each gear. i would pull the pan off and check to make sure everything is still hooked up and moving correctly. really can't be much else, unless your valve body is loose.
LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

wires

if i remember correcly the neutral switch plug has 2 wires 1 to make truck start in park and neutral and the other one is for reverse lights

but i could be mistaken
Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 PM

arms

are you sure all your arms are hooked up if you try it manualy under the truck on tranny does it still feel like in neutral or do you feel it clicking
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd block the front wheels, jack the rears up off the ground and set the parking brake before doing any shifting from underneath at all. Better yet, have someone sitting inside, just in case. Mistakes happen.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 PM

dodge 92, yes i am sure that it is shifting at the tranny.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 AM

shifting

have some body in the truck apply the brakes and sift it manually to make sure all is alright in there then youll no your prob is one of the rods on the way up
just to make sure check if you didnt bend anything on the assembly where it bolts up to the frame if i remember you got 1 rod from tranny to assembly then you got one frm shifter to assembly then one cable that goes to pump for pickup
Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM

as far as i see, that is all that there is. when the shifter is moved in the cab it moves as it should at the tranny. at this point should i assume something came apart in the tranny? hopefully something simple, is dropping the pan the next order of business?

Quick Reply: HELP! 727 tranny question?