1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Hello Again, Back with a w350 with darn coined wheel questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Again, Back with a w350 with darn coined wheel questions!

Ran across a cheap w350 with the 5sp so I of course bought it. It has a set of once chrome wheels, coined of course but the PO's used only conical lugs on it so ruined all of the coining. The front left wheel was so bad they put the spare on but they managed to break two studs. The good thing is that you can replace wheel studs on this truck with the wheel on, and I was able to secure some flange nuts and a couple studs from napa. I salvaged the best of the conicals and installed them into the tapered location, flanged nuts on the other. Wheel is secure and less frightening to consider driving. Now to the point, where can I get some replacement steel wheels? Are there other manufacturers (like 80's fords) that the wheels can be used? Is there a safe way to convert from the conical wheel to something standard? Contacted southwest wheel and they no longer produce them so I am at a loss.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeThomas
Ran across a cheap w350 with the 5sp so I of course bought it. It has a set of once chrome wheels, coined of course but the PO's used only conical lugs on it so ruined all of the coining. The front left wheel was so bad they put the spare on but they managed to break two studs. The good thing is that you can replace wheel studs on this truck with the wheel on, and I was able to secure some flange nuts and a couple studs from napa. I salvaged the best of the conicals and installed them into the tapered location, flanged nuts on the other. Wheel is secure and less frightening to consider driving. Now to the point, where can I get some replacement steel wheels? Are there other manufacturers (like 80's fords) that the wheels can be used? Is there a safe way to convert from the conical wheel to something standard? Contacted southwest wheel and they no longer produce them so I am at a loss.
I have been told the OBS Ford alcoa wheels will fit and are hub centric eliminating the need for the coins.