1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headlights/radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 08:15 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Headlights/radio

Hey guys, sorry for not being active lately, work was picking up until all of this Coronavirus stuff (hope you all are doing well). I’m kind of stuck on this one.

When the headlights are off, radio is crisp and clear. Running lights on, same thing, crisp and clear. When I turn on the low beams, the radio becomes staticky. (This had me thinking it was a bad ground somewhere with the headlights). But when I turn on High beams, the radio becomes crisp again.

I don’t know if this would have anything to do with it, but the previous owner installed LED headlights into the truck. It’s a whole new fixture, not just bulbs.

any ideas what this could be?

thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2020, 08:18 AM

That’s the best picture I have of the aftermarket headlights. They are plug n play, so I don’t think that would be it since there isn’t any cut and spliced wires, but that still might be the problem, I don’t know
Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Do you have the old head lights you could install as a test and see if you still have the same issue?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Do you have the old head lights you could install as a test and see if you still have the same issue?
If not at least unplug them one at a time...That could also isolate the lamps themselves as the culprit rather than any related wiring switches or relays......Ben
Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Is the static a random noise or a regular raspy buzz or something like it. It could be from the Pulse Width Modulation of the duty cycle of the lights to dim them on low beam. I have seen this on LED tail lights that use PWM to dim the bulbs when tail and not brake light is applied. It's evident if you film the light with a digital camera such as that in your phone. Try filming your low beams with your phone and see if they pulsate.

Edwin
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Another good thing to check would be the ground strap on the radio.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM

no, unfortunately I don’t. Previous owner changed them and I’m guessing he got rid of them

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Another good thing to check would be the ground strap on the radio.
checked that, seems fine
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Is the static a random noise or a regular raspy buzz or something like it. It could be from the Pulse Width Modulation of the duty cycle of the lights to dim them on low beam. I have seen this on LED tail lights that use PWM to dim the bulbs when tail and not brake light is applied. It's evident if you film the light with a digital camera such as that in your phone. Try filming your low beams with your phone and see if they pulsate.

Edwin
The static is more like when you get out of range of the station you are listening to.

I will have to try the video recording idea
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
LED lights frequently cause this static, when we first converted our tow trucks to LED emergency light bars insteada the old Hologen bubble gum machine lights not only did it interfere with the stereos but ya couldn't use the FM transiever on 3 of our 4 frequencies we are licensed for.. had to put Ferrite chokes on all the power leads, CB radio was really bad and if ya have an amplifier on your stereo it will really e effected...

these are the ones we used
Amazon Amazon

ya gotta put em on the power leads for the stereo do a search on google for LED light interference ya'll get a couple million hits as its a common problem
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ2A
LED lights frequently cause this static, when we first converted our tow trucks to LED emergency light bars insteada the old Hologen bubble gum machine lights not only did it interfere with the stereos but ya couldn't use the FM transiever on 3 of our 4 frequencies we are licensed for.. had to put Ferrite chokes on all the power leads, CB radio was really bad and if ya have an amplifier on your stereo it will really e effected...

these are the ones we used
https://www.amazon.com/stardrift-10-...ls?ie=UTF8&me=

ya gotta put em on the power leads for the stereo do a search on google for LED light interference ya'll get a couple million hits as its a common problem
I would also put them on the leads to each light as close to the light as possible. You can put all 3 wires through one choke since the choke is filtering high frequency switching noise.

Makes me like my Hella incandescent lights even more.

Edwin
Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 AM

I have noticed no radio noise from my high end Truck-Lites LEDs head lights that I installed on my '91.0 W-250.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I got no noise from the Truck-Lite LED's in my '90 either. Just plugged them in.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by thrub
I got no noise from the Truck-Lite LED's in my '90 either. Just plugged them in.
It might be a problem with the cheaper LED light options out there.

I know the Truck-lites where not cheap, but I really like them and would / will buy them again.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
I just put a set in the 93 and love them. Fixing to by some for the Jeep. Pricey but work really well

Quick Reply: Headlights/radio