1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headlight switch meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight switch meltdown

I have been slowing rebuilding my inherited 93' w350 and have all the mechanical issues covered and the performance mods have really made the truck fun to drive. But I can't really drive becasue of electricial issues.

My dad starting having electrical problems and to keep going just started putting 20-30 amp fuses in for running lights and turn signals So I have no blinkers, emergency flashers, running lights, I have head lights both bright and dim. I also have intermitent radio function.

Well I plan on repairing it by installing relays for bright lights, dims and running lights. The headlight switch socket has been repalced once before, it appears possibly by the dealer, as the splices use the soldered/shrinkwrap/sealant style connections that the dealer uses.

So trying to trace all these electrical issues down I have removed all non factory wiring for brake controllers, trailier harnesses etc. The old dually bed/box had tons of issues and has been removed (have a new take off box for it). The rear wiring harnesses apears to be intact and uncut, I just unplugged the box and picked it off. Almost all of the truck-lite side markers had failed, as well as one of the taillight running light holders casuing the shorts no doubt. I have LED replacements for the new box.

I have the wiring diagrams and will try to study them tonight to form a repair plan, it appears that all the wires burnt are light guage so I think the issues are only with the running lights turn signals, and emergency flashers.

Any comments or helpful tips on these issues are welcom!
Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Why don't you just order a new wiring harness? Many places sell them. Just plug in all the plugs and your done.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM

I haven't been able to find a new harness, tried painless, and extensive internet searches. Went today and bought the dodge kit which has a headlight switch and a receptacle to splice into the exsisting harness. It was a mere $97 ouch!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Putting the headlights on relays will help keep than new switch from getting toasted, info on how to do it is in the sticky thread. Also running the dash lights at full brightness reduces the heat generated inside the switch.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kiszka6911
I haven't been able to find a new harness, tried painless, and extensive internet searches. Went today and bought the dodge kit which has a headlight switch and a receptacle to splice into the exsisting harness. It was a mere $97 ouch!
Last time that happened to me, I went to the junkyard. Found a car with the same headlight switch and cut it off. I tried to get as long of a pigtail as I could. Went home a spliced her in. Worked great cost $5 and a couple hours, but who doesnt like walking around the junk yard?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 AM

After looking over the wiring diagrams I don't see how the head light switch could be effecting the blinkers or emergency flashers. I have known good flashers and fuses installed, this leads me to believe that either the blinker switch or the ignition switch is bad. The higher current fuses dad had installed to "get by" may have taken out one of the contacts in them. Since they are dead I am thinking its the blinker switch itself. Won't know until I get it apart tonight and start checking some connections for votage. All of the other connections on the ignition switch seem to be working.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take wannadiesel's advice and put the head lights on relays. After a melt down you will know why, I did. I lost my turn signals once and put in a new flasher but it didn't work (I did not buy a cheap one either) and wound up putting in a new one from the dealership and all has been well for some time.

Jim