1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Heading out for a while...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heading out for a while...

I suppose this belongs in the 'other' section, but since this is the only forum I generally post in, it seemed more appropriate to have it here. We've finally scrimped enough cash to start on the house, so I've been living fulltime in my RV preparing for construction. As cool as the RV is, it's no picnic since it's almost 30 years old and I don't trust any of the propane appliances... Of course, there is no internet, so I'll only be stopping in when I come to say hi to ma'. Wish me luck. I've never built a house before, so I'll just get this right out of the way: How hard could it possibly be? As for the truck, she's been downgraded to strict work duty for the rest of the summer, though I do have one mod I'm going to experiment with, even though it's the ultimate sin for a mechanical engine...I'm gonna add a 1/2'' fuel pickup (leaving all the stock stuff in place) and plumb a Walbro pump directly into the AFC with it's own separate regulated return. I don't know if it'll be boost sensitive or what, but somebody's gotta mess with it, right?
greg
Old 06-29-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not sure if you really meant plumb it into the afc or if you meant into the top cover. I don't see why you would want fuel in your afc
Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 PM

I kinda use the term AFC to mean the entire pump top...not strictly correct, I suppose. I'm looking to keep internal pump pressure up at high rpm/high load. I'd like to maximize what can be had from stock injectors. I can blow soot at 40psi/2600rpms and I know it ain't because my injectors are beefy, so the pump has to be losing timing up top due to low pressure. I'd like to see 300-330 rwhp with just what I've got plus some better fuel management, ie Walbro.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I see. Did you even tap your pump to see what psi its at right now while running/driving? How much psi do you think your gonna be putting to it?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:05 AM

I think it's somewhat agreed that anything below 80psi negates the dynamic timing of the ve, so I'll probably start there. When I tap for the feed line, I plan to make a second tap for a permanent pressure gauge. I think it was Stomp who said he pegged his 200psi gauge when he flicked the KSB on!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well on the other side of this thread, good luck on building the house. don't be afraid to ask questions if you run into something.

"How hard could it be?"

Good luck,
Michael
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 92DIESEL
Well on the other side of this thread, good luck on building the house. don't be afraid to ask questions if you run into something.

"How hard could it be?"

Good luck,
Michael

Thank you I didn't mean for this thread to go in two different directions, but there it is
Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't wait to hear the results on the fuel system.

Good luck with the house, that's a lot of work. Are you just acting as your own general contractor, or are you doing most of the work yourself?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I can't wait to hear the results on the fuel system.
I'm pretty excited about the project as well. My thinking is that since my injectors are well seasoned, I can just get them re-popped and then see if the Walbro allows them to keep flowing on the top end. Theoretically, I'll have less than a set of POD's into the setup, and I think POD's only add to the upper RPM starvation issue...plus, I've already got plenty of #2 down low .

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Good luck with the house, that's a lot of work. Are you just acting as your own general contractor, or are you doing most of the work yourself?
Thanks, I think I'll be needing a little luck I'm doing the whole thing myself. I don't like banks, and they certainly don't like it when you want to do your own thing, so wee on them! The place won't be as big or fancy as the original drawings, but when I pull in the drive at the end of the summer when it's done (mostly) Every last blade of grass, nail and board will be bought and paid for
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
Thanks, I think I'll be needing a little luck I'm doing the whole thing myself. I don't like banks, and they certainly don't like it when you want to do your own thing, so wee on them! The place won't be as big or fancy as the original drawings, but when I pull in the drive at the end of the summer when it's done (mostly) Every last blade of grass, nail and board will be bought and paid for

Best wishes to you... I always admire folks who have a plan and act on them. It is a great feeling not to owe on your place! Look forward to updates on either project when you get time!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Banned

Good luck on the house man!

You and your family will always be able to appreciate the fact you built that house yourself. My grandfather did the same thing and the house he built will always be special to us now that he's gone.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:44 PM

All I can really say is that I wish you the best of luck building your house, it is definately a lot of fun and work!
And also, Take a lot of pictures throughout the project, they are always awesome to look back on 30 years from now!
Wheelo
Old 07-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Hey Greg! Good to hear your getting started up there, im going to have to swing over that way while im home, maybe pound a few fingers, i mean nails fer ya! Man I feel like a foriegner on here its been so darn long!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
I think it's somewhat agreed that anything below 80psi negates the dynamic timing of the ve, so I'll probably start there. When I tap for the feed line, I plan to make a second tap for a permanent pressure gauge. I think it was Stomp who said he pegged his 200psi gauge when he flicked the KSB on!
80psi that will be a good place to start. Yeah it was me, but I didnt hit the switch my jumper wire fell off

Good luck with the house. I just bought my first one

Stomp
Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Update..almost a year later

Well, life happens and the house was barely started last summer, but now things are progressing, so I thought I'd share some pics. Walls are going up this week (soon as I learn how to build a wall), so it'll look like lots is getting done. I'm working with no drawings, only a picture in my head. Nearly all labor has been donated by myself....ok, my loving wife has put in many a long day as well. Many thanks to my buddy for helping dig the holes, too.

The final decision on house placement:

Setting the piers:

Built me some beams

Got joists?

What are planning you to do with those clippers, Greg?

Finally walked around my living room this afternoon:

The 'extra' room is actually the bathroom. ''Why is it nearly 1/3 the size of the house'', you may ask...Could you say no to this lovely young lady?

Quick Reply: Heading out for a while...