1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head light switch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try taking a 12v meter with a needle and put the positive end of the meter on the terminal + on the back of the alternator. then put the negitive end of the meter lead on the + battery terminal and have some one bring the rpms up. the needle should be at zero all the time if not the wiring or the connections between the two are giving you the problem you can do the same thing on the ground side. case of alternator with neg lead . positive lead to neg battery post raise rpms. should be zero check grounding if not.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:00 AM

Have you tried the ground check trick yet?

get a pair of jumper cables and hock both of then up to the negative battery post and then hook the there ands of the jumper,.......one on the voltage regulator the there one on the alt hosing or ground!

So in ether word you will have the red and black clamp, (both) on the neg side of the battery and the ether side of the jumper cables.......lets say the red ground to the voltage regulator and the black to the alt.

Evan tho you my not thing that it is a ground issue.......this will prove it right or wrong.

and its way to simple knot to try it!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by flashgordon
Have you tried the ground check trick yet?

get a pair of jumper cables and hock both of then up to the negative battery post and then hook the there ands of the jumper,.......one on the voltage regulator the there one on the alt hosing or ground!

So in ether word you will have the red and black clamp, (both) on the neg side of the battery and the ether side of the jumper cables.......lets say the red ground to the voltage regulator and the black to the alt.

Evan tho you my not thing that it is a ground issue.......this will prove it right or wrong.

and its way to simple knot to try it!

I'll try it! Since I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box Just exactly what happens when this is done? Thanks for the help Guys. Later, Tony
Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Hmmm, I'm impressed, Flash! Somehow in MANY years of wrench twisting and electrical I never heard of that one. What a great idea!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by TJE
I'll try it! Since I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box Just exactly what happens when this is done? Thanks for the help Guys. Later, Tony
If the head light bllinkiing stop........you need to add or repair the bad grounds going to the Voltage Regulator and or alt!

Originally Posted by JimmieD
Hmmm, I'm impressed, Flash! Somehow in MANY years of wrench twisting and electrical I never heard of that one. What a great idea!!!
Thanks! saves a lot of time if you don't need to had the ground.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well i tried the trick that flashgordod suggested. The headlights still pulsate, so back to square one. Thanks again for the help, Tony.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by TJE
Well i tried the trick that flashgordod suggested. The headlights still pulsate, so back to square one. Thanks again for the help, Tony.
Have you tried a diff VR they are cheep..........before you replace the alt.!

One final thing..........are you shore that its not the air heaters turning on and off!

Unplug the small signal wires off from the relay's, for the air heaters, and check it again before you open that big ol wallet for a new one!