1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head light switch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:14 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Head light switch question

I have been reading on the site here that flickering headlights is possibly the switch. I bought one but it is dark out, and I have a question. Do you have to take the bezel off to change the switch? I have got the on/off **** out. Thanks, Tony
Old 10-28-2006, 09:58 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
If memory serves me correct . . . . .

Snake you hand so that you can feel the back of the switch as it's installed in the dash.

Pushing/pulling the ****, feel where the end of the ***** shaft is at the back of the switch.

Right next to where the end of the **** shaft pokes though the switch, there's a little spring tab. Press it as you pull the **** out.

I think that's right.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:05 PM
TJE

I did manage to get the **** out, I just can't see well enough to see how the switch itself comes out! Any suggetions in the dark? Thanks, again Tony
Old 10-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that the bezel has to be removed and then there is a round threaded nut with slots that a straight screwdriver will fit in to loosen it , then you can unscrew it and the switch will come out the back. Its been a while but I think this is right. After you get it down under the dash , the switch just plugs into a plastic socket. Check to see if that socket has been hot and melted as this sometimes happens to these Dodges.....
Old 10-28-2006, 10:41 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by funcruise
It seems to me that the bezel has to be removed and then there is a round threaded nut with slots that a straight screwdriver will fit in to loosen it , then you can unscrew it and the switch will come out the back. Its been a while but I think this is right. After you get it down under the dash , the switch just plugs into a plastic socket. Check to see if that socket has been hot and melted as this sometimes happens to these Dodges.....
Thanks, funcruise I'll give that a try when I've got some daylight. Later, Tony
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 PM

if you are pulling a trailer or adding clearence lites run a relay for th e trailer clearence lite wiring or you can cook another switch. the **** was the hard part. once th e loom is unplug see if you can turn the whole switch maybe you will see the nut moving out front.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 AM

Pull the ****, remove the trim panel, remove wiring & mounting screws from switch panel.
The headlamp switch is mounted by a slotted nut to a metal plate in the dash. You can unscrew the plate & remove it with the switch & separate them on bench or remove the nut & pull the switch out the back.
BTW, when you remove the switch ****, turn the head lamps on then push the button & pull the **** out.

At least that's how I remember taking it out of my 91 W250 to reach the door hinge bolts.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did things a little differently snice I knew that I would probably have to replace it again - BTW I was right. After removing the bezel you can cut away the plastic around the switch. The nut that holds it in place is all that keeps it there. With that done you can pull the switch out through the front and see what the heck your doing. You can also inspect the plug in for damage. After everything is back together the bezel covers all. Worked like a charm for me.

Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 02:11 PM

I had a seperate toggle switch installed for my 5th wheel lights so I wouldn't stress the light switch. Seems to be working alright.

John
Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 AM
TJE

Just to update everyone. I put the switch in Sunday afternoon, and unfortunately it did not help, the headlights still flicker. I have had the VR replaced, and the alternator checked, so I don't know where to go from here. Thanks again for the help. Tony
Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 AM

are the head light pulsating or are that going on and off>
Old 10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by flashgordon
are the head light pulsating or are that going on and off>

They are pulsating, the headlights, and all of the rest of the lights. Later, Tony
Old 10-31-2006, 07:30 PM

Do they pulsate with the eng off?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by flashgordon
Do they pulsate with the eng off?

No. No pulsating at all!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for the answer on this one to fix my '74 Plymouth. Replaced VR, checked/cleaned all grounds, etc. etc. etc.

I'm think it is the alternator, but can't work up the courage to buy a $50 part I may not need.

Quick Reply: Head light switch question