1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket Replacement

Hey guys-I havent been on in a few months now but now I need your help. I need to do a head gasket in my '93 CTD and have never done a diesel before. I'm just looking to get it back on the road again as plow season is almost here. I'm not looking for a power boost or anything like that. At this point anyways. What should I replace along with the head gasket? Is there a kit from somwhere? I was told replace the head bolts as they stretch. Any info you could give me would be a great help. I'm new to this whole dieesl thing so bear with me , please. I'm going to be doin this as soon as possible so any info you could give me would be great! Thanks!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the head will be off, I'd say at the very least have a diesel-savvy machine shop clean it up, check it for cracks and plane it flat. While they're right there, maybe some HD valve springs? New head bolts are a big yes.

btw, get a cherry picker or eat your wheaties....the head weighs 117 pounds
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how much head bolts cost, but studs are supposed to keep the HG together better. Just something to consider
Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM

Head gasket Replacement

Can I get studs from any auto parts stores? As far as Diesel savvy shops around here-never heard of any. The local NAPA store has a pretty good machinist tho. Again-is there some type of gasket kit for this job or do I just need a head gasket and a valve cover gasket? Never done a diesel before.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 PM

Ive never done the job and I dont have a service manual, but you can find studs here: http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/916584.html
Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 PM

They make a head gasket kit. It has the exhaust manifold gaskets, they have the valve cover gaskets, they have the valve seals. etc., etc.,
How far do you want to go into this project ? How much are you going to keep in one piece ?
IF NO problems, other than head gasket, then buy those itmes separately.
I agree w/ g1625S.
Take the time and have the head checked out.
BTW - GET NEW SET OF HEAD BOLTS. Better now than later ! Trust me on that one !
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM

Head gasket replacement

Is there an article anywhere on here or elsewhere that gives step by step procedures for the job. I've done gas motor head gasket but never this so I just want to make sure I'm doing stuff right. As far as all the extra stuff , I'm basically just looking to get this thing on the road again. I don't have the money to spend on all of the hopups that everyone is suggesting. I would like to but the October rains sort of deleted my fundage and am just looking to save money after this job. It need to be up and running for plow season so it needs to be up soon. I plan on buying new head bolts. What other parts should I buy besides the valve cover gasket and head gasket? What parts do I NEED to have and which can I get by without?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigRam
Is there an article anywhere on here or elsewhere that gives step by step procedures for the job.
A service manual would You can get them through Cummins, and if I ever have to do the job, thats the first thing I would do.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:02 PM

I would recomend getting the head gasket, and any exhaust gaskets that you seperate (manifold, turbo base, oil return) valve cover gaskets may be able to be reused if not brittle. I would change the thermostat too especially if your oil got into your coolant. A fresh oil change and filter is a good idea too along with new coolant and a good flush to remove the oil.
I am not sure on the head bolts we did not replace mine on my 94 and it did not give any problems. Real straight forward process, just remember to remove the tension on the rockers before removing them, run a tap to clean the threads, oil the threads before torquing, keep eveything clean clean clean.
I went the budget route on my 94 no regrets, some times ya have to do what ya can afford. It would be nice to install studs, new cam, port the head and all that but if a guy doesn't have the cash and needs his truck he has few options. I would find some cash for a manual though even if it is a Chiltons or Haynes, also check the library sometimes they will surprize you in what they have. I have one right now from the library for a Toyota 3.0 I just got through rebuilding.