1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HE351CW Installed and tested

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HE351CW Installed and tested

Got everything together and running yesterday. have a few kinks to work out, such as overboosting and popping a boot. I have to tune it to try and get more throttle out of it without pegging every gauge i have!! I can't say for sure yet if im satisfied.

Took it to the track and blew the u-bend completely off on the way there. Once there i wasn't able to hold it on for more than 1/8 track and got frustrated and left. I think if i get a lip rolled in the tube and use some t-bolt clamps that i can fix this first problem.

Fuel - I don't know howmuch fuel to start with but my current settings seem to be too much. My timing is basically to the head, i have the fuel screw turned in about 1.5 times. AFC housing isn't messed with since crossy's sonn touched it.

Waste gate is hooked up but stressed because of position of housing. I'm going to get some mousing wire and try tying it shut for the time being.

Blow-off-valve - what do you guys think about installing a BOV to help keep boost to a minimum at the higher fuel/throttle positions, limiting pressure to say 30-35psi MAX.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ive never seen a BOV on a diesel? just adjust your WG setting with a hose clamp aroung the WG hose,BTW you deff need tclamps and rolled lip or a bead welded aroun the end
Old 03-27-2010, 11:27 AM

I think you mean wastegate not blow-off valve
Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
BOV's are good for preventing turbo bark. A waste gate will limit your boost.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Believe me i know the difference between a BOV and wastegate. The wastegate and actuator are at such an extreme angle / its impossible for me to use it, how its currently set up. I would need some sort of Z linkage in order for it to still work. Or mount the head somewhere else aside from stock location.

Yeah i've come to reality as of yesterday with the rolled lip and t-clamps i have them on order. I'll pick them up monday after work then need to work on getting a lip rolled. As for the rolled lip, I may be able to get something done, just waiting to see if the tool works.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick the bead roller works perfect on 2.5" pipe. It does it very nicely.

pics

Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 PM

when can i head over?? lol
Old 03-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Nick the bead roller works perfect on 2.5" pipe. It does it very nicely.

pics

how much did the bead roller cost and where did u get it?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jesussaves. the bead roller is prolly 60+ years old. i inherited it ,indirectly, from a mechanic great great uncle whom i never got to meet. I got the tiny ones to do the inside of fuel lines and heater tube and have used those MANY a time. they were made by Parker Appliance and are still in a bakelite(old) box. A company like Aeroquip MAY make something these days. crossy

Nick, i'll be home every day next week :-)
Don't worry, No one will ever SEE THE VIDEO of me spanking you. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqZ_...eature=channel
I also know what mousing (jet/safety )wire is and i have plenty here.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you get the bugs worked out, You'll love that thing!!! I'd just take the wastegate off and turnbuckle or wire it shut. I don't think you'll be overboosting with those minor pump mods.

But welcome to the club
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM

You'll just need traction now. I started in second and really had to nurse it off the line. The track was like ice the night I was there.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Yeah im working on the traction part now ;-) I'd really like to find a eaton unit but i'll probably have to go with detroit unit that replaces the spider gears.

Yeah dave i'll have to come down one day after work. I'd really like to have the truck driveable again. Exhaust will go straight out the rear of the truck, maybe in stock location if i feel like buying another $30 90* turn. I've been looking for a cheaaap USED tail pipe off a newer truck 4"

Smokin i'm not sure how accurate my banks gauge is but i was pinning it in no time. Then wanna yelled at me saying i should NOT wire it shut... and get the wate gate working... im soo confused now
Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 PM

I have a 3.5 tailpipe here off a stock ford powerstroke. you can look at it when you get here i guess.

i don't think smokinblacky saw the part where you said you were hitting 40psi.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks brandon i'll see what it looks like. I think im going to run the straight, literally 8' straight pipe out the rear. Then once i decide about a muffler i'll probably shoe-horn a proper tail pipe under her. This is all in time, other more important things are first on the list(selling my other truck and working out the kinks in this one). :-)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 AM

check out expandit, they make a full 4" downpipe back exhaust. tailpipe and all, for 1st gens.

Quick Reply: HE351CW Installed and tested