1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

He351

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He351

ok so i am wundering is the he351 good for boost and keeping the egts down, also which he351 should it get because there are multiple ones, also what will it take to put this thing in and where would i be able to get those parts?
sorry for the long thread just trying to get some more smarts
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Do a search in the 1st gen forum for HE351 or some variation thereof. There's a bunch of info, but I don't think anyone has done a sticky write-up yet. From what I understand, the HE351 is good for around 45 psi and will spool on a dime. And keep things cool as well. Significant upgrade on the stocker. The 'CW' version will be easier to fabricate into your circuit, but the 'VE' and 'VGT', (which may be one and the same, not sure) are possible too, you'll just need to put more work in to getting it going.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am wanting to know more bout this turbo too.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...o-t277713.html
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I have done a ton of reading through the archives, and it is confusing what to go with, with so many different options out there. For me personally I think I've decided on a HX35 with a 16cm exhaust housing....unless I come across more compelling info to change my mind.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Originally Posted by chevelleriley
ok so i am wundering is the he351 good for boost and keeping the egts down, also which he351 should it get because there are multiple ones, also what will it take to put this thing in and where would i be able to get those parts?
sorry for the long thread just trying to get some more smarts
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
I am wanting to know more bout this turbo too.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...o-t277713.html
Ok I am by far no expert on this turbo but, I just installed it and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The HE351CW is the one you want. It has a 9cm exhaust and I think a 60cm compressor. I went from uncontrollable egt to under 850*. I also have a stick and there is almost NO lag time. As far as installing it I used 3" exhaust pipe and made a set of tubes. I also installed a Power Stroke inter cooler at the same time. I tig welded new brackets for the waste gate to be able to change the clock position but, that is not necessary. I fabed up a 4" exhaust and that's about it for fab work. The stock oil feed and drain lines will bolt right up and it has the same exhaust flange for the manifold. chevelleriley I see you are in CT, if you are near North Haven I could show you my set up?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What did you need to fab up on the exhaust side?

I'm seriously thinking about an HE351CW now myself, but I need to keep my turbo-mount Pacbrake, and I'd thought this turbo had a 4" exhaust outlet, but maybe not?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Originally Posted by Midnite

I'm seriously thinking about an HE351CW now myself, but I need to keep my turbo-mount Pacbrake, and I'd thought this turbo had a 4" exhaust outlet, but maybe not?
I cut the end off the stock cast steel 45* elbow that came with the turbo and fit and welded it to a short 90*. Then I fit a long 90* under it to send it towards the back. That and making it by the transfer case was the hardest part. Somewhere on here I saw that you could buy a kit for something like $250 from some Diamond company, I don't remember the whole name. I had the 4" parts from my fathers truck so I saved some money. I think that Pacbrake makes an exhaust valve that will fit between the turbo and the first 90*. Also it is a 4" flange coming off the back of the turbo.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite

It has a 4" exhaust outlet.

Oops, Jer12377 beat me to it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM

yes the he351cw is an awesome upgrade! i loved mine! it cools dang well for how small the exhaust housing is, especially at 35-40 lbs of boost. You can pick them up for fairly cheap too. And yes also a chance to give you a true 4" exhaust.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:30 AM

nned a good right up in the sticky........ill be doing mine in october.if its not in then ill do a right up.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
like they are saying the he351cw is the one to get. i found the two three inch tight bend fittings needed at car quest. it took me three days to mod but it is well worth it. pm me with your email address when you get ready to do it and i will send how to change the electric solenoid to fixed mechanical along with pix
Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Jr12377 i am right at the ri ct line so thats pretty far. where would be a good place to order one of these turbos from?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
3rd gen classifieds, craigslist, eaby. I got mine local off craigslist for 120ish, can't really remember the guy was asking 150 but I know I talked him down.
As for the install not that bad. Mine was done in half a day, but I have a full shop at my disposal. Hand tools and hammers I could see a day or two.
As others have said it's a real fun turbo, cools really well for a little housing and will light with no effort! Mine gets just a "hair" out of the map range at 50psi(with a big port and polish on the head)...LOL And I don't even want to know what the drive pressure ratio is.
Good Luck and have fun!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
93flatbed i have a full shop also but i spent a day on the exhaust, a day on the pipe from the inter cooler to turbo and a day on the filter to turbo the next one now that i know how i think i could do it in a day. how did you do the air box to turbo. i do not think you should spin the turbo that fast. my mod limits the boost to 32 psi but i tow with mine and you probably play with yours
Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Well Mine tows once in a great while, and when I tow I tow way to much, but only go into 3rd gear and tick everyone off behind me.
As for the half a day, I already had 4" exhaust, I just had to fit to the true 4" turbo, and the air box is mia on my truck, I just piping to the amsoil flter hanging in the lower fender, so once again it was just a matter of adapting to the turbo. Then as you know just a small tweak of the oil drain line and the feed line screws right in. I also had already port matched the exhaust housing to the exhaust manifold before installing the turbo so no time there. As for the piping I made my factory lower pipe work. Not the best setup but it works, till I get the P.S. intercooler in......one of these days. I had started about 5am and drove it to pick up lunch for the family at 1ish.
And yes I know the trubo shouldn't go that fast, but once it brakes then I will have better evidence to the wife I need my Garrett!

Quick Reply: He351