1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

havin a real hard time with idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow havin a real hard time with idle

ok so i just adjusted the idle back down to where it needs to be right after i got done turning up the fuel on the pump and now i cant get full throtle!!!!! i had to reajust the throtle linkage to get it to idle down and now there is like an inch more to go with the gas to the floor... I need help bad will someone plese give me some advice as to what i should do about this problem? thanx
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 AM

You are going to need two people to do this. Have someone push the pedal to the floor. Once you establish that point remove you linkage pull the throttle part of the pump full throttle and adjust your linkage accordingly.

Hope this is some help. Ryan
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 AM

i actualy did that with my dad and after i adjusted it, it had full throtle and it was gnarly to drive but then the idle was way up there again cuz with the linkage adjusted like that then its not hiting the idle screw by like a quarter of and inch... im guna sleep on it and hopefully i come up with something worth while.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 AM

My truck idles around 1000 rpm's and my pump side throttle bracket thingy is actually up against the pump my adjustment screw is nowhere near the linkage. You might want to try repositioning the ball part of you linkage to a different hole or flip it to the underside of where it is now.

Ryan
Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dandyalgleish
i actualy did that with my dad and after i adjusted it, it had full throtle and it was gnarly to drive but then the idle was way up there again cuz with the linkage adjusted like that then its not hiting the idle screw by like a quarter of and inch... im guna sleep on it and hopefully i come up with something worth while.
Sounds like you need to lengthen the rod between the throttle cable and the the throttle lever on the IP.

Back your idle screw off alot. Adjusat the rod length so you can get full travel on the pump lever then readjust your idle speed with the idle screw.

If that dosen't do it you may have to reindex the throttle lever on the IP.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
the other thing we have been doing is pulling the slack up from the fuel pedal. make sure at Idle the pedal is all the way at the top at idle with the slack pulled out of the cable.
Next you can actually Bend the pedal lever up more to get a little bit more throw overall towards the end. This happens yes when you turn the fuel up because you have to lower the throttle, but max rpm still stays the same, so the problem is you have to in effect increase the overall travel of the cable.... have fun. I bent the pedal a bit and installed a spacer on the end of the cable to pick up some of the slack to pull the pedal all the way to the top at idle.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 PM

Talking

yeah i took a couple of hours today and a lot of test driving and got my idle and throtle just where i want it. Then went and walked all over an 02 power stroke with ease. Oh god that kid was mad to see a 17 year old truck beat his new ride. Hahahaha