1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Hardened Criminal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mark, are you running with the star wheel all the way at the top and the smoke screw all the way out? That really helps with the bottom end smoke, and in some cases the truck becomes more responsive.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm pretty sure my smoke adjustments are way too agressive. Thanks for the tip Dave, I will check the setup in the morning. I'll post an update.
Mark
Old 01-15-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
I was excused from further repercussions on this complaint. I did resent having the guy take a visual opacity test and assign a number to it, like he is some kind of superior bionic EPA man or something. It went my way, but I the experience was frustrating. I ended up talking to the "big cheese" about bio diesel, as I has topped off with B20 on my way over there in attempt to snag an "alternative fuel vehicle" exemption. Didn't work. The Big Cheese was thinking about forming a committee to decide about testing a theoretical fleet of city diesels on bio-diesel. I informed him that the mayor and governor were already doing this, which was news to him .

Public Service Company of New Mexico (PNM) has switched their entire fleet to B-20, he didn't know that either.... I live in a third world state!
When I worked for Tampa Electric Company, they had power plant guys who were certified in telling the opacity of the flue gas for pollution requirements.

Edwin
Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep- Just got to go to a "smoke school".

http://www.outreach.psu.edu/C&I/visibleemissions/
Old 01-15-2006, 05:09 PM

Well, I adjusted the star wheel up so that it's top edge was even with the end of the threads (I had it way down) and I pulled the smoke screw nearly flush with the housing (thought I should leave it down very slightly as to not wear on the cover) and test drove it. The smoke is way, way down and it doesn't seem to have lost power. I would think that more fuel = more power, but for some reason that doesn't hold true with this adjustment. The spring is now preloaded like crazy. I also ground down the nylon washer to about 1/3 its original thickness.

All this sound right?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-15-2006, 05:10 PM

Oh, and how will grinding off the AFC tang affect this adjustment?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It will make any AFC adjustments basically useless. Since you have POD's and you have to meet an opacity limit, I would not do a standard AFC grind. There is no way it will pass like that. Mine would fail a snap test, from the opacity charts I've seen I would rate mine at 70% (not that I'm a certified "bionic EPA man" or anything). I'd really like to see somebody try Alec's "angle grind" idea on the AFC.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark,
The smoke screw and starwheel adjustments were originally intended to control fuel under boost on relatively stock pump settings. As you're seeing, once you crank a bit on the full fuel screw, there's more than enough fuel available right from idle. Add in your POD's and there's all KINDS of fuel on tap. I pull my AFC line off and put it in the glove box when I tow...and I still only use 1/4 throttle before she starts to get toasty. Everything you're doing is right. If anything, make sure that smoke screw isn't protruding into the AFC housing at all and run that starwheel up just as far as there's room. The boost WILL push the cone down. I marked my cone with paint once, to cover the witness marks, then ran it up through the gears hitting around 30 psi and when I took the cone out, sure enough, the pin had rode all the way up, scratching the fresh paint off, and this was with the starwheel as tight as I could get it.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep, even with the star wheel at the top, 20 psi will move the pin all the way down.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:29 PM

I don't "technically" have to pass the opacity test unless I get narked on. So I guess the trick for me is to get it set up so it outgasses less than 20% in town, and still run as well as possible.

On the star wheel, should I run it up past the threads? It's already hardly being touched my the detent..
Old 01-15-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya Know,

That's funny Wanna...

I was just looking in the rear view mirror today thinking I wouldn't want to be that poor guy behind me sitting in traffic...

So do you think more advance will help the hazing at idle? Or am I doomed to PO people behind me forever?

Vinny
Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 AM

I wondered if propane injection cleans up the exhaust by assisting more complete combustion. It is supposed to aid the burning of the diesel fuel. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Mark, if you run the star wheel up past the detent spring it will end up back down on the detent spring. Just run it up as far as you can with it still "clicking".

Vinny, did you put the POD's in yourself or were they already there? If you didn't do the work yourself you should get a set of the 0.020" coppers and try them first. Your truck doesn't sound like it's on the ragged edge as far as timing goes, maybe you should get in touch with NASCAR Mark and see if he remebers whereabouts it might be timed.

LS - A light bleed of propane might get the temps high enough to clean things up. The problem is that most of the people with hazing POD's have the worst haze at idle. A little throttle/RPM clears things up.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 PM

Hey Wanna...

Actually my timing is on the low side...when we took it for a couple runs after the gov-spring change it wouldn't go over 900 degrees and was blowing white smoke with the pump up against the head.

You said I needed more advance. We discussed how I should jump the injection pump a tooth and turn the pump way back away from the head and start advancing it all over again.

Your right, I do need to call Mark...

One of these days...

Vinny
Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Inigma

Something wierd has happened that seemed to fly in the face of logic. Since I dialed back the smoke I noticed my max boost has gone from 28psi to 31psi. I thought the more fuel you give a diesel the faster and harder it spools the turbo (more stuff coming out of the manifold to drive the impeller) but it turns out that in this case less fuel = hotter burn = faster and harder turbo spinup.

This make sense?

Quick Reply: Hardened Criminal