1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

GPS to watch speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011 | 06:30 PM

GPS to watch speed

I've heard of guys on here using a GPS to watch there speed and record miles on here....can anyone point me to a good basic model, i do not know anything about them.Thanks guys.

Kevin
Old 01-24-2011 | 07:37 PM

Do you have a smart phone......There is an app for that! I use hudy lite, it's free on the market.
Old 01-24-2011 | 07:43 PM

From: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
i use an iPhone app too. My speedo is like 3-4mph slower on the highway.
Old 01-24-2011 | 08:00 PM

Gps works ok for speed but it is a second or two behind when you are changing speed. I did a wot run last night and I watched the digital speedo on my gps jump from 74 to 91.
Old 01-24-2011 | 08:09 PM

as long as you aren't mashing the gas or brake they are pretty accurate. They are also helpful for getting you to places you don't know how to get to

I have a garmin nuvi 255w and my buddy has a 205w. They work fine and have an internal battery so you can use them for things other than vehicular use.
Old 01-24-2011 | 08:35 PM

I'm interested in this as well. I just replaced my gauges, redid the wiring harness, and put in a new VSS. Hopefully my speedo will work now, but if not, I'm giving up and gettin a GPS...
Old 01-24-2011 | 09:02 PM

Well guys,with the exception of the computer, i'm technilogically behind. No smart phone here. Whats a reasonable cheap price on one of these gps's?
Old 01-24-2011 | 09:19 PM
366 Spring Chicken

I have a TOM TOM and of course it went on sale about 2 weeks after I got mine. I get free updates for the life of the unit so I guess its OK. A GPS is pretty acurate to within 1 mph usually. Then can go whacky and show very high speeds. In my boat off the coast of maine my chartplotter ( gps ) said I was in New York doing 65 knots.
Old 01-25-2011 | 07:16 AM

hound dog, you can prolly get a used older model for $75

GPS units are being upgraded now just like cell phones, everyone's got to have the latest model

I use a truck-sized GPS from 2005 (Lowrance iWay 500c) that I bought at a church auction for $100 (didn't realize until later that the old people who donated it had tried to use it for a few years but given up )

at highway speeds, my truck's speedo is 5 mph slower than the GPS indicates, which I guess is a good thing
Old 01-25-2011 | 07:30 AM

You can buy really almost any gps and it will show you your speed. I use one in mine, but like said, it doesn't update that fast. But when you're passing a cop on the side of the road, it's nice to be able to see what you're cruising at.
Old 01-25-2011 | 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Subliminal
You can buy really almost any gps and it will show you your speed. I use one in mine, but like said, it doesn't update that fast. But when you're passing a cop on the side of the road, it's nice to be able to see what you're cruising at.
I have a Garmin 1350T that i bought last year. The speed function is pretty fast on display. Mine came from Walmart where IIRC at the time according to pricegrabber.com was the closest and cheapest. I think it was around $160ish back then. Garmin offers a USB cable to attach the GPS to you computer for around $20. DO NOT BUY IT! Instead buy the universal USB cable from the local Dollar Store that has multiple connection adapters for around $5. There is also online support where folks generate GPS maps for anything such as cemetary locations, clinics, local historic sites, Cummins dealership locations, parks, fairgrounds, Pizza Huts, Burger Kings, McDonalds, Walmarts, interstate rest stops, and hundreds of other points of interest.

Last edited by Trebor; 01-25-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2011 | 08:40 AM

garmin nuvi has nice features for very reasonable, bestbuy 125. on sale, good size screen, then get a ram mount with the suction cup, that will put it against the windshield, for the best satellite view, another 35. you can move it from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 01-25-2011 | 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by sooty
garmin nuvi has nice features for very reasonable, bestbuy 125. on sale, good size screen, then get a ram mount with the suction cup, that will put it against the windshield, for the best satellite view, another 35. you can move it from vehicle to vehicle.
I used the suction cup attachment. On the bottom of the suction cup attachment I stuck on velcro. Then I put velcro on the dash of both of my vehicles. This avoids the old PA law of obstructed vision by placing anything directly attached onto the windshield glass. It also avoids the vision obstructon deal because it still has the hood of the truck visible while looking over it.
Old 01-25-2011 | 09:08 AM

Shoot, I have a nuvi (I use it for the bluetooth phone mostly) that I take the suction cup mount and stick it right to the plastic on the speedometer. It's like a TV screen right through the steering wheel.....speed and all.
Old 01-25-2011 | 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
Gps works ok for speed but it is a second or two behind when you are changing speed. I did a wot run last night and I watched the digital speedo on my gps jump from 74 to 91.
What were you doing going 91mph?

Originally Posted by Richie O
I have a TOM TOM and of course it went on sale about 2 weeks after I got mine. I get free updates for the life of the unit so I guess its OK. A GPS is pretty acurate to within 1 mph usually. Then can go whacky and show very high speeds. In my boat off the coast of maine my chartplotter ( gps ) said I was in New York doing 65 knots.
Way to go Richie! Speed trawling! Must make it hard to bring the nets back in though, lot of drag at 65 kts.

Quick Reply: GPS to watch speed