1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Governor Spring Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 02:07 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Governor Spring Installation Instructions

Well, my first impressions of the 14cm NW is that it spools pretty nicely. I feel the improvement going from 16 to 14 is greater than it was going from 18 to 16cm. <br>I did spend some time porting the inlet(s) of the housing, opening them up to match the gasket and smoothing as far in as I could.<br>I see boost build faster, and higher than same conditions with the 16cm. I also see approx. 4 psi more boost than with the 16cm. That is leaving EVERYTHING the same except for the housing.<br>My smoke has been reduced by oh.... 20%, but that is just &quot;objective&quot; observation.<br>I also notice that I have a bit less haze at idle. I guess even at idle the turbo is pushing a bit more air.<br>I haven't had a chance to do any pyro testing yet. The weather hasn't been too good.<br>I hear the thing spooling more than the 16cm, but I have also cut 3 holes in the airbox, just above the factory inlet. <br>I plan to make a &quot;scoop&quot; with screening (kinda like a hood scoop) to reduce larger particles/debris from getting in.<br>Someone suggested I use SS screening in a metal frame.<br><br>I received an email saying my gov. spring is in, and I'll likely get that sometime this week.<br>I'll post my honest results once it's in and I've had a chance to drive it.<br><br>Now I don't know if this is the right forum for this part but.....<br><br>The shop that got the spring in for me, does not want to market it out of their business. There are a number of honest reasons why they decline, one of which is &quot;... if it shows up with our name on it/on the shipping, then we inherit the liability, and since we do not recommend this mod we can't warrant it...&quot;<br>There are also some other business agreements that are in the way too...<br>So, I don't know quite how to handle this. Let me talk to them this week and see if we can set something up for you guys.<br>There is NO room for markup so no one really wants to handle the liability and break even at best, proposition.<br><br>Any ideas how this can be done??? I think they will order some for me &quot;on the cuff&quot; so to speak. Now, my health has been pretty poor the last while, and I don't have the resources to cover the entire batch cost and shipping.<br>I'd have to pay them as they went out though. Shipping???<br>I'm willing to have a wack at helping anyone who wants one.<br>I'm a rookie at this part. I'll report back in here in a couple days or so.<br><br>bob.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:03 PM

Bob-<br><br>You can order the spring from US Diesel parts online. $13.50 + shipping. No trouble at all if you have the part number.<br><br>Jay
Old 04-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Thanks Jbolt, but I was more concerned about seeing the rest of the guys got a fair shake more than anything else.<br><br>I'm wondering if making a &quot;contact&quot; or &quot;source&quot; available would be the best way to go, as opposed to bringing in 20 here in Canada, then shipping them right back across the border. Things get lost, and whatever.....<br><br>Anyway, the spring I got in is the number noted in another post... # 1 464 650 366.<br><br>Bob.