1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Good source for Rear End clutch and spider gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good source for Rear End clutch and spider gears?

I have a 93 1 ton dually. A lot of slop in the rear end. Pulled apart and found the clutch pack long gone and the gears kinda rough. I could probably clean the gears up enough to keep using but. . .who knows how long.

I was hoping someone could suggest a source for parts and what price they paid for the kit.

I HAVE TO replace the clutch set. Would like to replace the 4 spider gears and axle gears (32 spline). Anything I need to know on putting a new clutch set in. I assume there are some kind of shims/bearings behind the spiders . .. . if so, mine were long gone.

Any advice on a good source and what you paid would really help.

Also, anything special on what additive and how much to add for the limited slip clutches to work correctly?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 PM

Ordered a carrier internal kit from Reider racing for 210.00

Includes spiders, shafts, axle gears and clutches.

anyone have any input on the additive and what gear oil?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:06 PM

I would think just the Mopar juice would be fine. WannaDiesel would know for sure though. You might want to PM him if he doesn't chime in.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Did I hear my name?

Reider sends a bottle of some very pungent limited slip additive (smells like rotten grapefruit ). The procedure is to soak the friction discs in it, then pour it into the rearend once it's all buttoned up. That's what I did with mine and it's been quiet. I soaked the discs in a clean disposable aluminum pie pan, then poured the additive into one of the bottles of gear lube after I had squeezed some gear lube out.

Don't do this in the basement unless you live alone. Trust me, I was in a lot of trouble. That stuff really stinks.

If you tow, get Mobil 1 85W-140. If not, a dino of the same grade will do fine.

The rebuild took me about 3 hours, it's not too bad.

Pics of the carnage are in my gallery. Is yours worse?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Mine were probably a little better. Only one of the spider gears had a pretty good notch in several of the teeth. The axle gear on the left side had a real good notch like your pic but only on the drive side of the teeth. I even thought about just switching sides and stoning the gears some (its auto, only gets worked on one side, no compression braking) but. . .. figured I might have the truck for a while. I hate to do something twice. The clutch pack was so wore that the casting that holds the clutches was wore. One side had small chips gone from the spiders contacting. I just dremeled all the little chipped edges smooth. With the new clutches, should be fine.

The truck has 402K miles. .. I knew it was going to need some going thru. It actually was in better shape than several trucks I'd looked at with half the miles.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Dang! I think yours was worse, mine didn't hurt the carrier at all. Only 215k on mine when I redid it, it must've had a hard life. If you've got the ability to upload pics I'd love to see the carnage.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 AM

The carrier itself was ok. I needed to dremel some roughness under the spiders but otherwise it was ok. I've uploaded some pics to help explain. The part that was chunked was the part that goes under the axle gear and puts pressure on the clutches. The picture is after I cleaned it up. I ground the entire top face down because there was a pretty good ridge from the spiders. You can still see the chunks gone, I just smoothed out all the edges. You can also see the marks where the spiders were rubbing on the inside of the casting. The gear picture didnt come thru too good but you can get the idea.

I saw on another post you suggested using 85W-150 synthetic. How much better than 80W-90 dino. I think thats what's spec'd in the manual. Any real noticed improvements in longevity etc. ..

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I think your clutches were farther gone than mine.

80W-90 is recommended only for temps below 90 degrees in my '93 FSM. It gets hotter than that in Kansas, doesn't it? Also, we're talking about a rearend with 450k on it, so the tolerances are a little looser than they were in '93. I like the 85W-140 because it's thick enough to provide good protection when the gears get hot while towing. Synthetic is nice because it handles the heat without oxidizing as badly, and it doesn't turn to a viscous puddle of jelly at zero degrees. You could stand a spoon upright in a dino 80 or 85W-140 at zero degrees.