1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Good deal at wally world

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Good deal at wally world

Just got back from WW and they have Prestone 100% for $12.50 and 7 bucks rebate for 1 or 15 for 2. That is the cheapest antifreeze that I have seen in years. Also they have 5 quart M1 15-50 for those of you that run it. It is the first time I have seen it there. I hope that this is national and not just here, because many of you guys need it more than I do in Phoenix......Mark
Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Every time I go to buy Anti-freeze I have a heck of a time finding the 100% stuff. Everything is the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff. That pre-mix stuff is a rip off if you consider the price, and quantity. A gallon of 100% stuff makes at least 2 gallons, or more depending on your mix ratio, of anti freeze.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll head down to WW and see if I can pick some up.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Every time I go to buy Anti-freeze I have a heck of a time finding the 100% stuff. Everything is the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff. That pre-mix stuff is a rip off if you consider the price, and quantity. A gallon of 100% stuff makes at least 2 gallons, or more depending on your mix ratio, of anti freeze.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll head down to WW and see if I can pick some up.
Maybe I should have said that I hope this is international. You are right, at 12.50 a gallon, it is 6.25 for a half gallon of water in the 50-50. 12.50 a gallon for water makes gas look cheap...Mark
Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Remember that you need to be using a Low Silicate type Antifreeze on your Cummins engine.

ASTM4985 (GM6038M specification)

Shell Zone is what I use.

Jim
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Remember that you need to be using a Low Silicate type Antifreeze on your Cummins engine.

Jim
Wow, interesting. i always thought you can put anything in the cummins engine and it will tolerate it without too much fuss. What's so sensitive in the coolant passages specific to Cummins that it's preferred to have the low silicate antifreeze. Was there such thing back in the 1st gen era?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jim Lane

Jim
Well Jim, you scared me into looking and according to the label, it meets or exceeds astmd3306 and astmd4985...Mark
Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Well Jim, you scared me into looking and according to the label, it meets or exceeds astmd3306 and astmd4985...Mark
Me too :-)

A followup question, when did tyey stop making non- low silicate stuff, i wonder?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ClassA4x4
Me too :-)

A followup question, when did tyey stop making non- low silicate stuff, i wonder?
This site has lots of good info...Mark
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
If it's green and clean, I don't get in a hurry to change it. They say every 2 years, they are also making a living off of selling it too. I use 40% distilled water and a 1/2 pint of water pump lube too. As things got more expensive, I had to cut costs. Oil and antifreeze changes are to things that got extended and I'm seeing no ill effects.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first gen Dodge Ram trucks were factory filled with IAT (Inorganic Acid Technology) formulated green two year conventional coolant which is high in silicates. It is however becoming difficult to find as most parts stores are now carrying OAT (Organic Acid Technology) formulated coolants on the shelves. They are DexCool derivatives which contain no silicates in their formulations. The Prestone coolant bottle will note that is suitable for "All Makes And Models" and is an OAT formulation much like DexCool.

OAT formulated coolants are not compatible with IAT formulated coolants;therefore,I do not recommend using the Wally World product. You would be best served by using a conventional green IAT coolant, which typically has a two year, 24,000 mile lifespan or a G-05 HOAT( Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) formulated coolant. HOAT formulated coolants are low in silicates, phosphate free and compatible with IAT formulations, such as those found in the first gen Ram. HOAT G-05 coolants are very tolerant to hard water ;however, I recommend you flush the system and mix the coolant concentrate with distilled water as it is free of impurities.

Just so you are aware,the third gen Dodge Ram's are factory filled with a HOAT G-05 coolant. The HOAT coolants available on the market today are as follows:

Zerex G-05
Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051 and is a Yellow/Gold in color.
NAPA carries the entire Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you. A Valvoline representative informed me that CarQuest typically stocks it. In the event that they do not have it on their shelves, ask the manager to order it for you.

2). Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A Yellow/Gold in color. I have found this in dealers for 10.99 a gallon.

3). Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered (Third gen. factory fill) Chrysler spec-MS 9769. Red/Orange in color.

4). Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002 Dark Gold/Bronze in color.

The old school conventional green coolants are still available as well. You can find it at Napa and through your local Dodge dealer. As I mentioned, they have a typical suggested protection rating of 2 to 3 years or up to 36,000 miles. I recommend one of the HOAT coolants noted above since they offer 5 year or up to 150,000 miles.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 PM

This is even more scary :-)

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
The first gen Dodge Ram trucks were factory filled with IAT (Inorganic Acid Technology) formulated green two year conventional coolant which is high in silicates. It is however becoming difficult to find as most parts stores are now carrying OAT (Organic Acid Technology) formulated coolants on the shelves. They are DexCool derivatives which contain no silicates in their formulations. The Prestone coolant bottle will note that is suitable for "All Makes And Models" and is an OAT formulation much like DexCool.

OAT formulated coolants are not compatible with IAT formulated coolants;therefore,I do not recommend using the Wally World product. You would be best served by using a conventional green IAT coolant, which typically has a two year, 24,000 mile lifespan or a G-05 HOAT( Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) formulated coolant. HOAT formulated coolants are low in silicates, phosphate free and compatible with IAT formulations, such as those found in the first gen Ram. HOAT G-05 coolants are very tolerant to hard water ;however, I recommend you flush the system and mix the coolant concentrate with distilled water as it is free of impurities.

Just so you are aware,the third gen Dodge Ram's are factory filled with a HOAT G-05 coolant. The HOAT coolants available on the market today are as follows:

Zerex G-05
Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051 and is a Yellow/Gold in color.
NAPA carries the entire Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you. A Valvoline representative informed me that CarQuest typically stocks it. In the event that they do not have it on their shelves, ask the manager to order it for you.

2). Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A Yellow/Gold in color. I have found this in dealers for 10.99 a gallon.

3). Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered (Third gen. factory fill) Chrysler spec-MS 9769. Red/Orange in color.

4). Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002 Dark Gold/Bronze in color.

The old school conventional green coolants are still available as well. You can find it at Napa and through your local Dodge dealer. As I mentioned, they have a typical suggested protection rating of 2 to 3 years or up to 36,000 miles. I recommend one of the HOAT coolants noted above since they offer 5 year or up to 150,000 miles.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Something I see on the TDi forums a lot:

Drive more... worry less!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Something I see on the TDi forums a lot:

Drive more... worry less!
Amen, I am so glad that my blind luck strategy has worked for the last 30 years......Mark
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM

I use the detroit power cool available at freightliner it is 100% and is precharged with sca's I run it in my semi and w250
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Wally World anti-freeze meets ASTM4985. I'd mix it with distilled water.

The fancy chit has to do with electrolytic perforation damage to wet sleeves in the big rigs.

Quick Reply: Good deal at wally world