1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Going to look at my 1st, 1st gen. tommarrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to look at my 1st, 1st gen. tommarrow

Like the title says I am going to look at my first, first gen. ram tomarrow. Here are the details that I know:

238,000 Km's
1 owner, works at North Land Chrysler.
D-250 (I think the D stands for 2wd if not that what I mean)
5-spd
Reg Cab, Long box
Posi rear end.

He has it's "twin" and that is his daily driver it has 765,000Km's on the originol motor, so I am guessing he is decent at maintance.

It has some rust over the wheel wells and on the front fenders.

He is selling it to buy the same thing, but with 4 wheel drive as I live in fairly far north and we get alot of snow in the winter.

He is asking $6500 Cdn.

Let me know what to look for and what to ask. As far as the money I think it is decent based on what else is avalible in this area, but you can comment on that too. Thanks you guys
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask if its the orig tranny. If he hasn't been over filling it then there could be bearings going bad in it. Also check the frame where the steering box is and see if it or the plate is cracked. Other then that theres not much difference with things going wrong then any other truck
Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Watch out for rust over the windshield. They rust from the inside out up there, so even bubbled paint means a major problem. If it runs and drives good and the cab is solid, that's a fair price. I think you have a fair idea on how to check over a diesel engine so I won't comment on that. You are correct about the "D" meaning it's a 2wd, a 4X4 verion of the same truck would be a W250.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up I will, check for the rust and ask about the transmission, if it hasn't I am not to worried I know where I can get a NV4500 for "almost free" it just needs a new tailshaft housing, I think it has a specific name on that transmission, but I can't think of it off hand.

Yeah I am comfortable with the motor and pump.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM

So I went and looked at the truck, it turns out that he is not the orignol owner, but has known the truck since new. One of his buddies owned it. He bought it off of them when he wrote off his other 1stgen, and then fixed it, and now is selling this one to get a 4x4.

It also turned out to be an LE with power window, locks and air, but the air doesn't work all out of the old ref. and hasn't been switched over, as well as one of the windows doesnt work, he says its just a broken wire, but I am a little skeptical. The steering box is fine all a round I checked no cracks, above the windsheild is all fine as well, but the outer ledge of the drip rail is starting to rust. It is completely stock the pump has never been touched, he has the getrag overfilled by about a liter. I am thinking about offering him 6K for it as it has a little more rust then I expected and I would have to fix the window, as well as the air cond. As they would both drive me nuts personally. I guess I am still a little on the fence here. Some Opinion's would be nice. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Sounds pretty normal for an old Dodge truck. Sounds high for a 2wd non intercooled 1st gen. I guess it depends on how bad you want a 1st gen and how well it compares body, mechanically and price wise to the other 1st gens in your area... if you're lucky to have any for sale within driving distance.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yeah, he ought to knock off quite a bit for the air not working. If the compressor is toast I'm sure it'll cost more than $500 Canadian to replace since they are over $400 in USD. The power window is not a real big deal, worst case is it's the motor and you're out less than $100 for that.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM

My truck has pw and locks and when I first started driving it none of it worked because the wires in the door jam were all cracked. So Id check there cuz its an easy fix then
Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
My truck has pw and locks and when I first started driving it none of it worked because the wires in the door jam were all cracked. So Id check there cuz its an easy fix then
Ya pritty shore thats why my drivers side speakers go in and out!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
Ya pritty shore thats why my drivers side speakers go in and out!
Ya mine would do the same thing. they would stop working and I'd open and close my door a couple times then they would start working again
Old 07-05-2006, 08:02 PM

I will warn you 1 time...if you have to run in the snow where traction is a must, walk away. Youll regret it. There is a reason he is going to a 4wd. If all you do is stay on the main roads, and dont venture where/when you shouldnt be, your gonna be ok. Otherwise you wont like the results, I know I have a d350 srw(same basic truck) with a locker in the rear(posi) it goes good, but if I need a good amount of traction-forget it.

Plus the engine is heavy enough that youll need some goods in the bed to give some rear end traction. Otherwise if you feel 2wd is ok for you, hold off. Id guess its hard to sell a 2wd in Canada if your winters are tough.

Not trying to scare you away, but I havent owned mine 1 year yet, put 30,000 miles on her, and every day I regret buying a 2wd
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by csramsey640
Not trying to scare you away, but I havent owned mine 1 year yet, put 30,000 miles on her, and every day I regret buying a 2wd

you might not after you felt the ride quality in a 4x4 first gen.

lets just say i dont do coffee in the morning in my 4x4. even with a lid
Old 07-05-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with csramsey640, they don't have a whole lot of traction. My dad had 2 D-250's with posi and they were fine on road with some wieght in the bed but do to the heavy engine they were a little more helpless than a 2wd gasser. Even with the steel flatbed that I have on my W-250 that wieghs about 1000 # more than a regular bed I still find having to put my CTD in 4x4 alot more than my gasser in the same conditions.

Chris
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I'll third you guys on these things sucking in the snow. I went out and bought a beater Jeep Cherokee before last winter because I gave up on trying to put enough weight in the back of mine to get it to start on a hill. The problem is you can't bog the motor enough to get the wheels moving without losing traction. The off-idle torque just breaks the tires loose.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:37 AM

Well that did it for me. I live Approx 700km straight north of the can/am border. We normally get snow in late October and it is here until early April. I go sleding alot in the winter to places that aveage over 12ft of snowfall a season. I figured I would just chain it up and go, but alot of your points have shown me that it was silly to think I would get away with it. I just really wanted my new toy , but I will wait and find a 4x4. Thanks again you guys all

Quick Reply: Going to look at my 1st, 1st gen. tommarrow