1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Go to getrag or keep auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know what speeds my 727 is supposed to shift at? it just seems to me that mine shifts early.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
At part or low throttle they can be in 3rd by 30 miles per hour. If it is shifting early at wide open then maybe your TV ( kick down cable) cable is adjusted wrong or stuck.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
At part or low throttle they can be in 3rd by 30 miles per hour. If it is shifting early at wide open then maybe your TV ( kick down cable) cable is adjusted wrong or stuck.
i believe mine is in 3rd by 35. Is that normal? and what way would i have to move my tv cable?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
366 Spring Chicken

If it is shifting into 3rd at low throttle settings that sounds normal. It should rev higher if you floor it before it shifts. The cable is hooked to your throttle linkage assembly. It is the one that goes down to the tranny. I can't remember without actually looking at it which way to adjust it for higher or lower rpm shifts. If you adjust it and it hits the govenor before it shifts then you have gone to far.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
If it is shifting into 3rd at low throttle settings that sounds normal. It should rev higher if you floor it before it shifts. The cable is hooked to your throttle linkage assembly. It is the one that goes down to the tranny. I can't remember without actually looking at it which way to adjust it for higher or lower rpm shifts. If you adjust it and it hits the govenor before it shifts then you have gone to far.
it seems like it may be around that when i floor it. Its been awhile since i have floored it last but that seems like it was before 40 when it was in 3rd. How much can i mess up the throttle cable doing it myself not knowing what im doing?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
I was giving him the idea,i thought i just read somewhere on 1stgen.org about machining something out and adding a bearing or something but whatever,

i have no idea where you could buy the special t case cootz. Its unique to the getrag 360. its an np205 if you wanna look around.

Best thing you could do is get wrecked or rotted out peice o junk 5 speed truck so you have EVERYTHING to use for your converson
the t-case input shaft has 23 splines on an auto and 29 on a manual. that's the only difference unfortunately Some say they have used adapters to make up the difference but it IS weaker that way.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Chapter President

like everyone else said get a truck to swap it out of. I price it out with parts localey and the price for me was not to much more than your typical donor truck but it would be a lot easier.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people want manuals to tow but there are advantages of towing with a auto.

• with a stick you lose your boost when you shift and depending on how your truck is set up that could be a bummer with a heavy load.

• depending on how the gears are set up you can "hunt" for gears. example: in 2nd your too high rpm and 3rd your too low.

• some people say getrags don't like to tow a real heavy load in 5th.

• clutches burn a lot easier then TCs and goerends are guaranteed for life!

• traffic with or without a load can be a pain with a stick. and depending on your clutch the footwork can be real stiff.

• unless you get the right tc (goerends has a really tight one for $900) exhaust brakes don't work too well with autos.

• 727 trucks have 3.07s and arnt the best to tow heavy loads with.

• autos do have to be built up unlike manuals. (usually)

• trans temp fluid on hot days and heavy loads

the cost of converting your truck is going to be a lot. its a pain to find parts. everyday is a day closer for me to upgrade my trans and I'm fighting a battle of swapping to a stick or building my 727 or 518 or 47rh.

also i have no problem doing 55 in my truck. otherwise your going to burn fuel up quick! (anything over 2000rpm burns a lot of fuel)

so you can build up your 727. better clutches, TC, steel planetary. NO SHIFT KIT. dave at goerends said the 727s don't like them because the rear band can lock up and or snap, but he said you can add a pack up front and 2 in the rear (i think.. I'm dyslexic). get a good tranny cooler, deep pan. there is a place that sells a STEEL trans pan for $120 and it has tubes welded in the bottom running front to back to cool the oil. i heard the dragsters use them and they work good.

then there is the 47rh set up but you need a 2nd gen trans, engine adapter plate, starter, electrical set up for lock up and over drive, trans mounts, upgraded TC which is double the price of the 727s shorten drive line and more... you cant tow in overdrive.

the same is to be said with getrags or nv trannies. but then you need clutch set up. rigging master cylinder, transfer case, shifter hole. t-case linkage and the 3.07s are junk for towing with a stick.

...just a thought
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Our torque converters don't lock up
I know our converter dont lock up

i put "lockup" in quotes as in it doesnt "stall"...which means lock the parts inside to put full torque to the rear wheels.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM

I know our converter dont lock up

i put "lockup" in quotes as in it doesnt "stall"...which means lock the parts inside to put full torque to the rear wheels.
I guess the smilies didn't show that I was joking.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
I guess the smilies didn't show that I was joking.
Ah Its cool I dont know how to say that without saying "lockup"
I try to tell people about converters all the time and don't know what term to use.

sorry man i had just got home from a detention for something i did not do at school and was kind of PO'ED
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Ah Its cool I dont know how to say that without saying "lockup"
I try to tell people about converters all the time and don't know what term to use.

sorry man i had just got home from a detention for something i did not do at school and was kind of PO'ED
Ahh, the good 'ol days.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
lotsa kids on this board nowadays. Not too long ago, First Gens didn't used to be the cheap vehicles that kids would get as their first cars.........
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
366 Spring Chicken

When I was in school these things were new. Brandon, you should have skipped detention and then they would have given you a day off. I am undecided on which set up I like better.. I have yet to play with my 93 rag truck. I know I sure like my 89 with the 727. Its not a race car but goes well. I also had another 89 that I towed my 7500 pound john deere around with. The converter was sucky but it towed just fine.