1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Go to getrag or keep auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to getrag or keep auto?

I have an 89 ctd 4x4 auto (727 3 speed) and i was wondering if i should find a donor truck to get the getrag or build the auto? i am planning on towing some gooseneck trailers down the road and i don't mind shifting gears, I actually miss shifting gears. I would like all ideas on what i need to swap the transmissions. All help is appreciated
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM

If you plan on doing a LOT of HEAVY towing, then I think the switch to the Getrag would be justified. It all really comes down to if you want the 5spd or not. If you want to do it, then do it. If you don't think you will need it, don't do it. It's all personal preference.

I personally think you would be better off just buying another 5spd truck, and keeping the auto truck for your play truck.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
If you plan on doing a LOT of HEAVY towing, then I think the switch to the Getrag would be justified. It all really comes down to if you want the 5spd or not. If you want to do it, then do it. If you don't think you will need it, don't do it. It's all personal preference.

I personally think you would be better off just buying another 5spd truck, and keeping the auto truck for your play truck.
What will i need to swap them besides the trans, master cylinder, clutch, slave cylinder?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but there are quite a few threads about an auto to Getrag conversion. Use the search feature, and it will show posts that will give you all the information you need.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good getrag trans
Differnt transfercase (special spline for getrag compared to automatic)
slave cylinder
pedals
machine your flexplate or something like that

If i were you, I would just get a 91.5-93 518 overdrive auto and build it up real strong and then be done with it, its as simple as puttin it in and hooking up wires for the Overdrive, the overdrive matched with your 3.07 gears you have now would be SAWEEEET for fuel mileage.

and yea 91 1st gen, I said A-518!!!! not 727!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Good getrag trans
slave cylinder
pedals

If i were you, I would just get a 91.5-93 518 overdrive auto and build it up real strong and then be done with it, its as simple as puttin it in and hooking up wires for the Overdrive, the overdrive matched with your 3.07 gears you have now would be SAWEEEET for fuel mileage.

what would this cost (rough estimate) and how many mpgs would i get? i already get around 20 in the summer
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good getrag trans
slave cylinder
pedals

I hope you mean get A flywheel
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM

I was giving him the idea,i thought i just read somewhere on 1stgen.org about machining something out and adding a bearing or something but whatever,

i have no idea where you could buy the special t case cootz. Its unique to the getrag 360. its an np205 if you wanna look around.

Best thing you could do is get wrecked or rotted out peice o junk 5 speed truck so you have EVERYTHING to use for your converson
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I was giving him the idea,i thought i just read somewhere on 1stgen.org about machining something out and adding a bearing or something but whatever,

i have no idea where you could buy the special t case cootz. Its unique to the getrag 360. its an np205 if you wanna look around.

Best thing you could do is get wrecked or rotted out peice o junk 5 speed truck so you have EVERYTHING to use for your converson
ok, i will start looking around for those kinda trucks. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with crossy. Find a donor rig or you will pull out your hair and bust the bank trying to piece it together. My trucks first owner hauled his 5th wheel camper cross country a few times with the 727. Don't think just cause its a auto it will not tow. Get a trans temp gauge, a good torque converter, and haul what you want.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
I agree with crossy. Find a donor rig or you will pull out your hair and bust the bank trying to piece it together. My trucks first owner hauled his 5th wheel camper cross country a few times with the 727. Don't think just cause its a auto it will not tow. Get a trans temp gauge, a good torque converter, and haul what you want.
it just seems like when the truck is not hooked up to the gooseneck you have to mash the throttle to go over 60 and i also like shiftin gears. Do you know what could be wrong with my 727? it has aover 600,000 on it
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM

it has aover 600,000 on it
Problem 1 right there, your torque converter is just worn out, its not fully "locking" in or makin full torque to the rear wheels when driving so you have to give it more pedal.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Problem 1 right there, your torque converter is just worn out, its not fully "locking" in or makin full torque to the rear wheels when driving so you have to give it more pedal.
what would be the best tc to put in. I am on a limited budget. I only make around $1200 at my summer job.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd give Dave Goerends a call and talk to him about your options.
With 600K i'm sure the trans is in dire need of an overhaul.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Well, are tourqe converters don't lock up...

Quick Reply: Go to getrag or keep auto?