1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getting tired of it.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had brand new trucks with $600.00 a month payments. My Dodge has been better then all of them no payment and like I tell my wife when I need to do work to it think of all the payments I would have made then she thinks and sees what Im saying I have my own company and could easily go out and add more payments to my pile of bills but its just not worth it My brother works for me has a nicer truck and all he keeps saying why dont I just get a new truck Theres someting to be said about these old ones you dont have to worrie about scratches and dirt Its a truck I travel all over for work I live in NJ and am currently working in TX and you guessed it my truck made it here towing my trailer no problems Here in TXs its Doges galore all brand new shinny I think my truck is the ugglyist one here but I love it and wont give in to the pressure I am laughig all the way to the bank. Just think The 2 brand new trucks I paid off =70- $80,000.00 thats half a house so a new master cylinder would be far better to me and get the best you can it just makes $en$e
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea you guys are right, buying another new master cylinder is better then a new truck. but i mean its just discouraging to have to redo something you already did 4 months ago. and im sure more stuff is bound to happen, i already know my lift pumps going bad to. oh well i guess, though i would die to have the powerstroke, i will just have to wait a little longer until im financially stable, and can afford it. but i dont think for a LONG LONG LONNNNGGGG time my cummins is going anywhere!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm contemplating doing the opposite. I have an 01 F-250 powerstroke that I love and it's paid off but it's losing about $2500 a year from depreciation. And I could use most of the money to pay down my student loans. So, I'm looking at build a 77 F-250 with 12v because it won't go up or down much in value. I had truck payments for a year and will never have them again. I will pay myself a truck payment into my bank account for a few years and pay cash for my next newer truck, that's how deals are made.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks guys, I too was thinking of getting a newer truck but i dont need the payments. Ill just get her painted and be happy.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM

I can relate too...
I was 17 (about 40 years ago!). Been through all the phases - drooling over the neighbor's new truck, etc. At this stage of life, my biggest regrets are not the vehicles I could/did not own, but the ones I never should have gotten rid of!

Right now I'm in the process of replacing my old exhaust system. The omly logical solution was to go bigger - to about 4".

When it is all said-n-done, his may be newer and shinier; but mine's paid for, and this month's "repairs" are way under what this month's payment would have been.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:07 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgethis91cmns
yea you guys are right, buying another new master cylinder is better then a new truck. but i mean its just discouraging to have to redo something you already did 4 months ago. and im sure more stuff is bound to happen, i already know my lift pumps going bad to. oh well i guess, though i would die to have the powerstroke, i will just have to wait a little longer until im financially stable, and can afford it. but i dont think for a LONG LONG LONNNNGGGG time my cummins is going anywhere!!!
It is very frustrating to take a step forward only to get knocked two backwards. But you can learn from it too. One of two things happened, you either bought an inferior part or you messed up something when installing it. Either way you learn and move on. That way, every step of the way you are getting smarter and gaining experience.

Remember, a wise man learns from his experiences, but a wiser man learns from other's experiences!

Like they said, you either make payments or make repairs. Personally I enjoy working on all my old heaps and think that usually I do a better job than some mechanic. But I have also cultivated relationships over the years with several trusted wise men that help me with things I can't do. The amazing part is that occasionally they even do little things for free . Maybe its because they respect my quest for knowledge and the desire to tackle it my own? Don't know.

You say you can't do upgrades & improvements cause you're always fixing or replacing. How many upgrades can you afford on that ferd while making those payments? I'm in the same boat and my solution is to upgrade when it breaks: injectors go bad? Then get some better ones. Exhaust rots off? Then get a 4", Master cylinder bad? Go hydroboost Etc Etc.

Another solution I have is extra vehicles. I have 5 and that way when one is down there is something else to drive and no hurry to fix until the money is right. They are all 16 years or older, paid for, liability ins only and the tax and licensing every year is just a couple hundred.

My last word of wisdom is that this truck is preparing you for marriage. Its a partnership. Everything doesn't always go your way, just step back and look what she does for you and see if ya'll aren't pretty close to even .
Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM

you'll have to make repairs to that old ford too if you buy it. I dont know anyone who doesnt have nickel and dime repairs other than people with brand new trucks on warranty. keep ur truck for now.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
My last word of wisdom is that this truck is preparing you for marriage. Its a partnership. Everything doesn't always go your way, just step back and look what she does for you and see if ya'll aren't pretty close to even .
in all my years of digging around these sites, i dont know that i've read a more profound bit of info. if more people stepped back and realized that with the good sometimes comes some bad, divorce lawyers would be out of business. shiny new trucks are just like shiny young women, seems great at first then the newness wears off. i wont be trading in either of mine (truck or wife) until they put me in the ground.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

(He climbs up on his soap box)
If you “think” you can “afford” a $300 truck payment try this. Deposit that $300 each month in the bank for a year. Never short the deposit or skip it when something else comes up. When your cell phone breaks or the price of milk or rent goes up you still have to deposit that same $300 dollars each month (you can afford it, right?). I have “afforded” several cars and trucks over the last 30+ years since I was your age…..never again. I am on the one payment plan for anything I buy with exception of the house. I will ride a bicycle before I ever make another monthly car payment. I have found nothing ever goes as planned, life happens and the monthly budget always gets shot. It’s nice having paid for stuff even if it is not as fancy as the neighbors.
(jumps down from the ol soap box)
You can make a ton of repairs for what a truck payment will be.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im 17 and payin on my truck, and doin repairs but i love my beater, but as soon as i can get a new one i will, but i'll always keep the beater close by or in the family.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM

A co-worker just bought an 04 Duramax with a bunch of neat things on it. I just bought a 92 Cummins. He can't understand why I didn't buy a new truck. He just chipped his- we'll see what breaks first, then I'll laugh all the way to the bank.

He wants to race. I told him I didn't buy the Dodge to race. I told him the only race I would participate in is the race to pay off the truck. Done. I win. He's got $22,000 to go still. He is on month #1.

Chips are for dippin'.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimlj
(He climbs up on his soap box)
If you “think” you can “afford” a $300 truck payment try this. Deposit that $300 each month in the bank for a year. Never short the deposit or skip it when something else comes up. When your cell phone breaks or the price of milk or rent goes up you still have to deposit that same $300 dollars each month (you can afford it, right?). I have “afforded” several cars and trucks over the last 30+ years since I was your age…..never again. I am on the one payment plan for anything I buy with exception of the house. I will ride a bicycle before I ever make another monthly car payment. I have found nothing ever goes as planned, life happens and the monthly budget always gets shot. It’s nice having paid for stuff even if it is not as fancy as the neighbors.
(jumps down from the ol soap box)
You can make a ton of repairs for what a truck payment will be.
You ever listened to Dave Ramsey?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4wydnr
You ever listened to Dave Ramsey?
Only when he is on.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Sounded like you might have heard of him.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM

Everyone says put the payment in the bank don,t forget obout the higher insurance ad that to your deposit you will have a good chunk of change at the end of a year.
I have 75 Ford diesel,1972 chevy with5.9 cummins,191 Chevy sub 6.2
I don't own a gasser.
Dale

Quick Reply: getting tired of it.....