1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getting tired of it.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting tired of it.....

this morning i woke up to take a small 45 minute trip down to king of prussia to drop some wheels of to a fellow member of DTR. well i woke up got ready etc, and did an inspection of my truck to make sure everything was working as it should, only to notice that once again, my master cylinder had appeared to have gone bad. now its only 4 months or so old so this was ver discouraging and i started freaking out. i added some fluid because it was RIGHT THERE to the point where it wuld have below the pin holes in about 2 stops. so i made VERY angry the whole ride and a little disappointed, and it made me wonder. maybe its time to get something a little newer. theres a 1997 ford f250 powerstroke ext cab long bed 4x4 5 speed up in quakertown for only $13000 with 53000 on the clock. made me think a little but my trucks paid off and all so i think ill hang on to it for a while. i mean dont get me wrong i LOVE my truck and will have a first gen later in life for sure, but sometimes i just get sick of the nickel and dime stuff especally being 17 it kills me. i never am able to put upgrades on it like i want to because im always doing regular maitinence
Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I know what your feeling, I too am only 17. I like the kids whose parentsgive them everything and they aint gotta work for it. My truck is also really begining to nickel and dime me, but It has never really gave me any great deal of problems. But it is paid of, and it is MINE!
Wheelo
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM

i feel the same way. theres a kid around town whos parents bought him a brand new 2006 f350 amarillo for 50K and a few months ago his truck with about 8k miles on the tires got a fresh set of all terrains. thats about 1000+ dollars in tires because he has the 18 inch wheels. i love my truck because i my father and i put the time and effort into it, and i wont lie my dad helped me a little with fixing it but i feel that alot of it was done by me, (with some of his knowledge as well) its just a greater feeling knowing u worked that hard for it...
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM

your right fella. feels lot better knowing that your sweat, blood and tears went into it. I learned so much on my truck. when we first baught it, it had a nasty looking utility bed on it. 6 mos. later, homemade flatbed, two 5 inch stacks and a crap load of LED lights. Heck I even learned how to convert from singles to duals. A very good learning experience. Look at all the usefull knowledge they wont ever know. And If my truck breaks down alongside the road, I know how to fix it or I can find a way to get it fixed.
Wheelo
Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM

This reminds me of when I used to work at a dealership.

Guys that drove big lifted diesel trucks would come in and buy little econo cars so they could "save" money. Paying $250 a month for a new car doesn't seem to save money to me.

The point is, $13,000 seems like a lot of money to spend because your current truck is costing you money here and there. Don't tie yourself up in payments. I've seen too many people tighten their own noose by making poor decisions.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 PM

That's a cheap payment there kiddo... And if that's all you have for problems then consider yourself lucky.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on a brand new master cylinder too, no remanufactured units, brand new. That cheap **** does not last and your braking system is worth spending the extra money on.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nickel and dimed sure is alot cheaper that 13-15K.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM

i know what you mean im 19 and it can get fustrating, just take a step back grab a coffee, and go at it, once its done you will feel great, if anything get a second gen dodge, the only good fords are the new twin turbo ones, and they look good too
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is a saying...you make payments, or you make repairs.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by fanbrain
Guys that drove big lifted diesel trucks would come in and buy little econo cars so they could "save" money. Paying $250 a month for a new car doesn't seem to save money to me.

The point is, $13,000 seems like a lot of money to spend because your current truck is costing you money here and there. Don't tie yourself up in payments. I've seen too many people tighten their own noose by making poor decisions.
Originally Posted by sdstriper
That's a cheap payment there kiddo... And if that's all you have for problems then consider yourself lucky.
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
Nickel and dimed sure is alot cheaper that 13-15K.
Originally Posted by MikeThomas
There is a saying...you make payments, or you make repairs.

I see silly people every day spend thousands trying to save nickels; it just eats them up that I refuse to fall into the same money-pits that they have jumped in.

You can ease around and get by in a paid-for truck and fix things as time/money allows; whereas, when you have a big payment looking you in the eye, first thing EVERY month, that's when the troubles begin; and, just like the light-bill, those payments roll around EVERY month for YEARS.

I have heard it said "they will strain at gnats and swallow camels"; don't be the one that swallows the camel.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Im 18 and have had a few problems but for the last 6 months she has been runnin great with no repairs besides maintenence knock on wood!!! I have an 03 gasser that runs extremely well but i still perfer the cummins over that one and even when my cummins is down i fix it that day cause i cant stand lettin it set, my advice to youe is set aside whatever that truck payment would be a month and put it into your cummins cause these are the baddest trucks on the road, i set asside bout 25% of my earnings to put into my truck and the oher 75% goes to bills and the rediculous price of diesel, p.s. I would not touch a ford POWERJOKE with a 10 foot pole
Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 AM

ya take that 250.00 bucks that your payment would be and put it away for a couple of months and see how bad it will start to hurt month after month for 4 or 5 years, and then take that money you saved and buy a new master cylinder instead. And don't forget that if something happens to that ford (and it will) the cost of parts and labor will kill you off for sure and also don't forget about your ins. going up a ton cause you will need full coverage. so if you take all that into consideration you could really fix up that old 1st gen and still save money, Heck you could probably put a new motor in it later ans still come out ahead. But the biggest thing is that you will still be in a cummins.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The least expensive vehicle to operate is usually the one you already own...
Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The least expensive vehicle to operate is usually the one you already own...
100% AGREED!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up I feel your pain at times...........

Hey guys! I can truely relate to your burden of being young and having small stuff breaking on your rig at every corner. I'm 26 years old and own a 93' CTD. This truck has already played some games with me and had me scrambling for funds. But ya know what...........it was never a $500+ repair at one time. It was $30 here, $20 there, and $100. over there. Having no pickup payments is the biggest benefit of all. Nothing is worse than paying on a broken vehicle! Keep that 1st gen man! These pickups are really user friendly. I do all my own maintenance. All my 2nd gen and newer buddies complain about how expensive stuff costs for their Dodges! HAHAHA

Quick Reply: getting tired of it.....