1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrage alternate gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getrage alternate gearing

Been doing some research about the ol' G360, best I can tell it's an orphan. Doesn't seem to be any other applications or related transmissions which could provide alternate gearing to help with that 2/3 jump. So I was talking to a friend that runs a machine shop, turns out gears are fairly expensive to make. The cost is prohibitive for one or two sets, buuuut, if we make say 100 sets, the per unit cost might be reasonable. This is all based on some napkin doodling, but it looks promising. So, I know I haven't been posting long enough to have any kind of rep or anything, but if gears were available from a reputible source, how many of you guys would be interested, and what would you consider a reasonable price? Just want to see if there's enough interest to make it worth pursuing.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I might be inclined to jump on that hayride. What are your rough #'s looking like, and what would that get us? Standardtransmission.com has prices listed for all the hard parts. I'd like to see 1st gear not so deep, then have 5-600 rpms between each of the rest. I'd even take a little loss in the O/D to get the even gear spacing. Heck, I'm turning 1550 @55 in 5th right now. I can't even use 5th till I hit the highway!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not wanting to rain on your parade but, you are looking at a lot of $$$ to re-gear the trans. It would be cheaper to go to a NV4500.
I work for the Gleason Works
We are a Gear tool Manufacturer, we provide the machines,tooling,software,Gear application info, baisicaly everything needed to manufacture gears to just about any company you can think of that produces gears. Including DC and Getrag.
The cost of engineering alone will probably put it out of your price range.
You would have to replace not only the gear you want but the counter shaft as well.
You will have to sell thousands of sets to make it affordable.
If you are still interested in this PM me and I will get you someone to talk to about the Engineering (design) of the required gears.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Winr
Yup, it's not going to be cheap, I agree. I think it can be done for a lot less than a 4500, but I could be wrong. Personally, I like the 360 fine, except for that gap. So I'm thinking that for the price to rebuild the trans ($300.00 for the kit?) plus four gears (maybe in the $400.00 range) you get the same function as the 4500. We know the tranny is strong enough, and we know how to make it live, so it seems worth at least checking out. My question at this point is how is the counter shaft assembled. I know someone out there has a rebuild manual (hint, hint). Are all the gears assembled to the shaft, or is first gear part of the shaft? If some one could PM me an exploded view, it would help alot. As far as the engineering, I'm no expert here so feel free to school me, but wouldn't the only aspect of the gear that would change be the diameter and number of teeth? I would think everything else would remain the same and could just be carried over.

G1625S,
Must be nice having those 3.54s. With 4.10s I'm in 5th by 45 mph and all done at 85. Gotta call Piers and get that spring, need the special POD washers too. Though from what I've read lately, I'd trade the PODs for some 190s.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
brainfade
PM me your Email adress and I'll send you a copy of the Getrag section of the service manual. As for the engineering part, its not as simple as adding diameter and teeth especially on heilical sets.