1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag shifter handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Getrag shifter handle

My shifter handle on my getrag is worn out and has been through all the quick fixes it can. Tried rethreading the handle and that lasted a little while then tried welding but the metal is to thin and all that did is melt the rubber inside it and finnaly tried J.B. Weld and all that lasted me about a year until the getrag came apart and we had to braek the J.B. off to get the tranny out and I figure now is a good a time as any to get another shifter, thing is I can't find any used, and can't find anything aftermarket that says it'll work on a getrag, but somebody somewhere has to make something that will fit in that hole and thread the same. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Are you meaning the shifter "pole", the long slim rod with a **** on top ??

Does yours thread over the stub; or, does it splice against the stub with two bolts ??

If it is the threaded on style, it is a simple matter to make a custom replacement out of 1/2" Schedule-40 pipe and a stack of metric nuts that are the correct thread to fit the stub.

I had a guy with an exhaust-bender make two bends in a length of pipe, such that it placed the shifter-**** right close to me.

I welded a stack of four nuts, one atop another, with all the threads coinciding, then welded this stack of nuts to the bottom of my custom bent pole.

I drilled/tapped four set-screw holes in the nuts.

After a black paint-job, I threaded a single nut on the stub, placed a lock-washer atop that, then threaded my new pole on the stub, lining it up to best suit me.

Once in position, I tightened the single nut and lock-washer against the stack of nuts, in lock-nut fashion; then, I tightened the set-screws against the stub.

I put my big custom "truck-stop" shifter-handle on top.

It looks real good and I don't have to reach plumb across the dash to find gears.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow Aw, here he goes again...

I understand and appreciate that folks are just trying to help out, that is what we're all here for. But we need to do that within the site rules, and that means that "Parts wanted" and "Parts for sale" do not belong here in the open forum, they belong in the classifieds. Also, the PM system is not broken.

Posts in this thread have been edited and/or deleted to conform with the rules. There is no need to apologize for trying to help a fellow DTR member out - just use the PM system next time.