1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Getrag rebuild

Couple quick questions, in the FSM it says not to reuse the pins locating the reverse idler shaft. Anybody reuse them or did you replace them( figure zbag can get them)
Also the rebuild kit I bought has brass syncros mine are steel and look good still...whats the diff? Trans shifted great just had alot of clatter when in netural and clutch out and had some bearing noise( towing the jeep back from the rubicon thru redding at 105* trans was not happy)

I'm also going to do a set of fast coolers with a temp gauge. Whats a good running temp for the trans and at what point should start worring about it?

Thanks for any input,
Stu
Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by oly_fab
Couple quick questions, in the FSM it says not to reuse the pins locating the reverse idler shaft. Anybody reuse them or did you replace them( figure zbag can get them)
Also the rebuild kit I bought has brass syncros mine are steel and look good still...whats the diff? Trans shifted great just had alot of clatter when in netural and clutch out and had some bearing noise( towing the jeep back from the rubicon thru redding at 105* trans was not happy)

I'm also going to do a set of fast coolers with a temp gauge. Whats a good running temp for the trans and at what point should start worring about it?

Thanks for any input,
Stu
If you have a vice, you can put the pins in there and stretch one end. There is a slit all the way down the roll pin, over time they wear and loose their pressure strength. I usually stretch them just enough where the other end barely starts to open. Hammer them back in and you are good to go. Of course, rolls pins are 5cents at the local hardware store. The only problem I have is that they are not made from good steel. If the pin is loose that is what I would do. Most of the time they're okay as is, you can check that by trying to push the pin with a roll punch by hand. If you can't move it, I'd say it's good to go!

The brass syncros transfer heat better than that of the steel. Less heat means less friction and longer life of parts. The other thing to note is that brass can move and flex because of it's tensile strength. I'm guessing these new ones will allow that when gears get slammed and absorb the vibration/chatter instead of directing energy somewhere else. I'm hoping to rebuild my tranny, I have a slow leak that needs tending, of course I might just take the transfer case off and hitac where it mates and call it a day.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
reuse roll pins if possible , better quality than u can get. also go with brass syncros. good luck. great write up on ramcharger forum on doing the rebuild complete with excellent photos. Tommy two-stroke's! "big-whitey" (ish) - Dodge Ram, Ramcharger, Cummins, Jeep, Durango, Power Wagon, Trailduster, all Mopar Truck & SUV Owners. Dodgeram
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
starts midway down on page 3
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the advise guys. Looking at the pin's I had assumed it was a roll pin, it is not they are solid with a slight bend( for tension I would guess).

The Getrag is a really simple design, I have done plenty of gear setups so this is not a big deal. Most anybody could do it with some basic tools.

Stu
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 PM

Bannerd, you may want to check your fluid level in your trans. When I pulled my T/C I puked 2 QTS of fluid that was in the adaptor. The rear seal in the trans had pushed out. I know it came from the trans as I run 5 QTS of royle purple in it.

Stu