1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getrag question

I haven't messed with trans's very much but from what i've gathered from reading these threads is that the getrag has preloaded bearings and as they wear they lose the preload creating slack between the gears on the mainshaft and the countershaft. anyways i've noticed here recently that my truck has alot more slack in the drivetrain (the time it takes for the rear axle to catch up with with the engine if you gun it) than when i bought it, i was wondering if i might need to go through an reshim the trans it has 163,000 miles thanks for any help.

sorry about the lenth of the thread
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 AM

The rear end is the same thing, As well as pretty well anything else with bearings like that, (transmissions, diffs, transfer cases) they all technically need reshimed when the bearings start to wear but nobody really ever does it. If you go that far you might as well spend the money and just put in new bearings well your there.

As for the slace in your drive train check u-joints and yokes first. You should be able to find where the slack is but jacking the truck up and possibly taking a side of a u-joint off so that you can see if its coming from trans and trans-case or rear end. Theres alot of stuff I would check first before pulling the trans to reshim in cuz it won't really cause drive train slack anyway
Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 AM

I checked the u joints and i just redone the rearend i broke it when i was pullin some logs for my dad back in august i might have got the backlash alittle to wide and that might be where my slack is coming from, me and my teacher decided to set it at .012 on it's widest side cause of the backlash variation was going from .006-.012 we couldn't figure it out we tried everything but it's still holding up at 5,000 miles, i just wanted to see if anybody thought that that slack might be a sign that the tran's needs rebuilding
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 AM

No I can't see how the bearing preload in the trans would have anything to do with drivetrain slack. Let us know if you got other questions about the slack then, good luck
Old 02-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slack in the drivetrain is normally spider gears wearing, or it has been in my experience. No big deal, just dont stomp the skinny pedal until the slack is all out of it. If you have enough backlash to see visible slack in the R&P, you wont go too far before something breaks. There is a LITTLE slack in the transmission when stuff wears, but not normally enough to be noticed.

If your bearings in the Getrag or rear diff are still good, I'd reuse them. No need to replace stuff that aint broke.

Daniel
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM

I set the rearend up when school started last year (2006) i finished it sometime in October I replaced everything in the housing, bearings, spidergear's, ring&pinion, and the carrier, what happened is one of the bearings spun on the carrier and ate the shims off that side of the carrier letting the backlash go crazy and the ring an pinion got in a bind and broke the only place i could figure the slack was coming from is the backlash in the rearend or out of the transmission. Or could it be in the transfer case never thought of that but i don't think there is anything that can get slack in it in the transfer case. I'm probably just too paranoid thank u guys for the information