1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag 5th gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getrag 5th gear issues

i've been having a problem with my getrag popping out of 5th gear during deceleration.....i've seen on this site that other people have had this problem and looked like the toploader could be the culprit but i can't find enough info on it....could it be a worn shift fork not engaging the gear in far enough??? thanks in advance for any info......o and the tranny is overfilled too
Old 12-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
We had one to start dropping out of 5th, about three-hundred miles before 5th quit for good; we had to pull the trailer from Senatobia,MS to home with no 5th.

At that time, 1990, Dodge did not try to repair the transmissions, they simply took the old one and installed a new one.

This was a very common problem, when these trucks were new; Chrysler later found the cause and the replacement transmissions have lasted for years.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:23 PM

when you find out let me know i have one in my donor rig that has no fourth and it falls out of fifth upon letting off the throttle. what a pain. would like to fix it before the transplant.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My tranny popped out of 5th and 3rd when I got it. 5th on a downhill coast and 3rd whenever it wanted. Went through the tranny and replaced the input shaft, 3-4 syncro and 5-R syncro. Left the other syncros alone, no $$$. Upon reassembly, no more 3-4 pop out, but still had to hold it in 5th on any downhill. Replaced the toploader with my spare and haven't had a problem since....
Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM

thats the kind of info that is extremely good to hear. thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 AM

ok so what exactly is the toploader???? is it the assembly that connects your shifter and the shift forks??? i don't know a whole lot about trannys yet sry but i sure appreciate your guy's input...thanks again
Old 12-16-2007, 04:10 AM

The top-loader is the whole mess that comes straight up out of the top, once the bolts are all removed, including the shifting mechanism and forks.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM

in addition an good friend that is a ford nut told me the name comes from the open area that you load all the guts of the trans into. hence toploader or sideloader. the way is is used here it could also be called the shift tower or cover. not all trans have a shifter that runs thru the cover where you load the gears and shafts thru. hope i didn't make to big of mess out of this.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Right before i rebuilt my getrag it would pop out of 5th under power. I replaced all the bearings in it and put a new input shaft in it and havn't had any problems yet with it. I'm about to throw a decent amount of power at it so i hope she holds together.

ONETWOPUNCH
Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by farmer0_1
in addition an good friend that is a ford nut told me the name comes from the open area that you load all the guts of the trans into. hence toploader or sideloader. the way is is used here it could also be called the shift tower or cover. not all trans have a shifter that runs thru the cover where you load the gears and shafts thru. hope i didn't make to big of mess out of this.
I did not know that...always thought it was shifter orientation, but I see where you're coming from...pretty cool
Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
My tranny popped out of 5th and 3rd when I got it. 5th on a downhill coast and 3rd whenever it wanted. Went through the tranny and replaced the input shaft, 3-4 syncro and 5-R syncro. Left the other syncros alone, no $$$. Upon reassembly, no more 3-4 pop out, but still had to hold it in 5th on any downhill. Replaced the toploader with my spare and haven't had a problem since....
Mine did the same,but it was 5th and reverse.Tranny shop did input shaft and all syncro's...no problems with poping out anymore but out of habit my hand goes to the gear shift on downhills in 5th.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by G1625S
I did not know that...always thought it was shifter orientation, but I see where you're coming from...pretty cool
A top-loader has all the shifting mechanism inside the transmission, with only the pole sticking out.

Most side-loaders have levers on the side, to which linkages get connected, with the "pattern" being done outside the transmission via a seperate shifter mechanism.

Most, if not all, of the old column-shift three-speeds are side-loaders.

The NP205, and most other transfer-cases, are side-loaders.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM

well thanks for all the info....just drove the truck 1500 miles in the last couple days and no major problems....if i slowly let off the throttle it won't pop out....only time it popped out was when i was off the throttle and went over some rough railroad tracks......hopefully it will last a bit longer til i can either rebuild it or think about swappin an NV4500 in........that would be cool
Old 01-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Red face more problems

ok so i made it home like i said in my last post with no major problems adn now that i have come almost 1500 miles back to texas with a load of hay in the bed of the truck and pulling a 3 horse steel bumper pull trailer the last 240 miles....i have more issues....
....i have done quite a bit of research on the site and spunbearing sent me the rebuild pdf manual so i am more familiar with how it all works.....i know that i will probably need a reman'ed shift cover or just shift forks, or maybe a rollpin or 2 are starting to back out but i didn't want to hijack anybody else's threads so here's what happened on the way back down.....
...the tranny is leakin oil quite a bit and the first 1000 miles or so nothing out of the ordinary happened.....when i got through kansas the tranny started to whine a little bit so i figured i had lost enough oil that the upper bearing weren't being lubricated.....i stopped at a gas station in garden city and checked the tranny oil by pulling out the fill plug......oil started drainin out pretty good so i thot well its still overfull so i'll keep goin......so everything was the same til i picked up my horse trailer adn horse.....the only thing different is the whining got a bit louder......and i had a wicked head wind and the tranny got a bit hotter and the shift cover would give me problems when i got to a traffic light....hard to get into 1st and when i pulled it out of first it wouldn't go into second or any other gear cuz the shifter was out of the slot but it was still in first gear like many other people have had problems with.....same things would happen in 2nd and 3 gear....so i checked the fluid level again about 120 miles away from where i live here and fluid kept comin out of the fill hole so again i quickly put the fill plug back in and got down here........i was just happy to make it the last 2 hours without this thing crappin out on me and gettin the load off the truck was nice......
Here's the new problem.....i was plannin to use today to look at the tranny....cut a hole in the floor....pull off the shift cover etc....so i took the truck to a restaurant for supper last night and went to leave ....put the truck in reverse and it wouldn't come out of reverse.....if i back it up and tried pullin the shifter up out of gear it just made a brake out of the gears somehow adn stopped me.....so this mornin i took the shifter out and tried alignin the sliders with a screwdriver and all that like i have read that other people have done and this thing is locked in gear i cannot get it out....so i put the transfercase in neutral and we towed it back to my buddy's shop and i'm about to cut a hole in the floor this afternoon and take the shift cover out......

so thats my story in full detail........sorry i made a marathon out of this post but i just wanted to make sure i'm not missing any information before i tear into this thing....i'm wondering if i'll even be able to get the shift cover off if something is wrong with the shift fork, etc.....just want to say thanks in advance.....you guys are awesome....i have learned so much by readin over all the threads about my truck...i really appreciate it!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Doesn't the whole trans tunnel come up at the floorboards like the older 4x4 Dodges?? Hete to see you chop up the floor if you don't have to.

Quick Reply: getrag 5th gear issues