1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

getrag 360 1-2 synchronizer assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
getrag 360 1-2 synchronizer assembly

After I rebuilt My getrag I learned quite a few things I wish I knew before. Since then the transmission has worked well since I'm the only one driving the truck and have learned how to work it.
Now I was on this quad 4x4 website and they sell not only the assembly but also this synchronizer pressure piece set, the thing that helps slide the syncro ring forward and back. My question is, does the 1-2 use this same piece or not? I recognize it bc the 3-4 and 5-r use the same but the 1-2 I didn't look at.
The 2nd will some time under the right circumstance jump and I want to fix this if I ever have to take the tranny apart again so having the parts ready will be an advantage.

Also, why is the race for 5th build on the input shaft? couldn't the engines have a race we can just press inside the expensive shaft? Can it be done? I thought maybe I would take My old I/S to a machine shop and see if they can machine the shaft to fit a race in it and use it next time I pull the thing apart then just put a new bearing when needed.

Also, some time ago a member was going to see if the case can be machined and so fit bigger bearings for the countershaft as well. This is a great idea, has someone done anything about this?

Thank You.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Here is a pic of one the subjects on the thread.
Attached Thumbnails getrag 360 1-2 synchronizer assembly-synchronizer-pressure-piece-set.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes those are inside the 1/2 synchro assembly. Also very hard to install into it as well. I recommend never completely disassembling any of the synchro assemblies.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 AM

I took mine 3-4 and 5-R apart when I did the rebuild but for some reason that escapes Me I did not touch the 1-2 except to change the rings.
Now will this help them engage an stay in gear or should one replace the entire assembly? This is a $130+ item so it is worth the work.

Anyone have an answer to My other questions?

I know there are many using the getrag so since so many are planing to keep it might as well make it count when doing a rebuild and this could really make things last longer.

Thank You.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM

What happen guys, you are all switching to another tranny? why the lack of interest?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not very many have dug this deep into a getrag before. Haha.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I rebuilt mine I replaced those, and yes they are a **** to put back in. When I took it apart the first time, the synchro ring slipped off and all the springs and little ball bearings went flying across the garage. FWIW Ace Hardware sells hardened 3/16 ball bearings that are a direct replacement if you loose them. If it is popping out of gear it could be those, or it could be the shift cover rail detents I believe.

As for modifying the Getrag to be more durable or easier to rebuild, I think you will find it is cheaper just to swap to an NV4500. I bought all the stuff to do my swap, including a short throw shifter and a Valair clutch for under $2k. Take the clutch and shifter out of the equation, and you could do it for a little over $1k.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Yes the ring on My 3-4 moved too far and I had to find those tiny ball bearings but after a few times I got the hang of it and wasn't so hard to put them back together. Unfortunately I did not take the 1-2 apart and will have to if I ever need to rebuild the tranny again or have too much time on My hands one weekend. I will order them just to have them and replace them in all the synchros.
Regarding the nv4500 swap I almost did this and decided not to do it. I will keep this tranny since it is very easy to rebuild but if I replace it I will use a medium duty tranny 6-7 spd like a fuller or clark that was already bolted to a 6bt with all the parts.

I think the bigger bearings idea could work and one only has to find a way to cover the bigger holes for the front and the output shaft housing which shouldn't be very hard.