1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

get my old injectors healthy again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get my old injectors healthy again?

Well i pulled out my injectors today. I'm pretty sure its the first time they have ever seen daylight (17 years and 240,000 miles) I pulled them out cuz they were leakin a litttle out the top, and i was gonna take a look at them and see what they looked like and tighten everything up to see if they stop leakin. I only pulled out 4,5 and 6, and haven't pulled 1,2 and 3 out yet cuz they didn't seem to be leakin like the other three. I built the injector pulling tool in the sticky which made things much easier! They looked okay to me, but I'm not really a fuel/injection person so I don't know exactly if they are okay. I was just gonna tighten up the tips and clean them up and put them back in. How do i clean them? Can i clean off the tips too or should i just leave them alone? This is the first time i've messed with injectors. I also thought about gettin them pop tested, but i don't know if i will or not, i plan on gettin some newer/bigger injectors sometime soon, but who knows how long that will be. It kinda sucks to have to go through all this and just put my stock ones back in, It would be nice to have little more power. I was thinkin about just changin the tips but I'm not sure about that either. I can use 2nd gen tips on my 1st gen bodies right? like some 370s? or 435s? and where's a good place to buy just tips? ad removed But mainly i just need to know how to clean up the ones i got for now. Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 AM

How can you use 2nd gen tips on first gen bodies if the 2nd gen injectors have different pop off pressures than 1st gen injectors?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 AM

I was under the impression that you could use 2nd gen tips. but the spray angle isnt quite right. so they won't be as clean as if you used the same injector on a 2nd gen truck. something to do with piston bowl?? As far as pop off pressure that has more to do with the bodies then tips, I think. But correct me if im wrong..
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM

I would just soak'em in fuel injector cleaner for a day and hit'em with an airhose.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 AM

I worked at a fuel injection shop for a couple of years and rebuilt tons of injection nozzles. If you got them out, have them pop tested. While your at it, pull the other three out. All your going to be out is the copper washer at the bottom, the dust boot and the seals for the return line. The upside is, you'll know what pressure your nozzles are going off at and if they spray pattern is good. Be careful with the tips because the holes are small and plug off easy. If the pressures are off it will help you determine whether you want to put worn nozzles back in or upgrade to some more power.If you put them back in, you can clean the side of the tips with emerycloth or sand paper just dont wipe the very end. You can blow it off with air after you soak it. Most injection shops don't charge to pop test nozzles.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jcarrillo
I worked at a fuel injection shop for a couple of years and rebuilt tons of injection nozzles. If you got them out, have them pop tested. While your at it, pull the other three out. All your going to be out is the copper washer at the bottom, the dust boot and the seals for the return line. The upside is, you'll know what pressure your nozzles are going off at and if they spray pattern is good. Be careful with the tips because the holes are small and plug off easy. If the pressures are off it will help you determine whether you want to put worn nozzles back in or upgrade to some more power.If you put them back in, you can clean the side of the tips with emerycloth or sand paper just dont wipe the very end. You can blow it off with air after you soak it. Most injection shops don't charge to pop test nozzles.
Okay I'll call around at some local diesel shops and see what they charge or if they charge for pop testing.
So your sayin i should change the copper washers at the bottom? and the seals and the copper washers on the return line? I just heard that if it the injector was leakin out the top by the big nut, then i just probably needed to just tighten the tips. You can just tighten these with two wrenches right? one on the tip end and the other on the top part of the injector? Thats what i was gonna do is soak them and then blow them out with air. So i shouldn't clean the bottom part of the tip where the little holes are, and just wipe off the top part of the tip where there isn't holes right??? Thanks guys
Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use 2nd gen nozzles the spray angle is the same atleast that's what New Era told me, you adjust pop pressure by adding or removing shims behind the spring in the body. The thing that stumps me is, do the nozzles have to be clocked in the body. I'm pretty sure they do but it doesn't seem like anybody around here knows I guess I'll have to call chuck again.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, otherwise the spray pattern would go the wrong way.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gen intercooled and 2nd gen 12v have the same spray angle so you could use 2nd gen 12v nozzles. Non-intercooled is the one with the oddball spray pattern.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 AM

run the injectors to terry thain/moonlight diesel.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 PM

I called a bunch of places and no one close would pop test injectors, Moonlight was the only place that would and they said they charged about $85 to $110 a set depending on how much trouble it was so i just figured these injectors were well used and I'm just gonna order some PODs from Gillet diesel for $315, it sounded like a good deal to me so it'll be an early christmas present and hopefully i can get them in this week. thanks for all the help guys
Old 12-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get them PODS in?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM

yep I sure did, and i like them. They gave me a little more power and yes they are a little smokier, but thats okay, i can still control it with my right foot. The truck runs a lot smoother and sounds better. It actually even sounds louder to me and it just sounds good. It runs a hair hotter, but not much, and it with my stock sticks, at night when my turbo lit, it would blow a flame right when it lit and then die down, now with the PODs, it lights and blows a bigger flame and the flame keeps comin out and doesn't die down. Its awesome. Definately a good deal, they will do me good for now til i get more money for some 6x16s. We'll see how long this stock tranny will like it...