1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This all depends on you.

1st generation trucks are largly late 60 to ealier 70's technology for most of the pickup with the cummins being the best part and of course 80's tech with it. Really, it wasn't until dodge put the cummins into this pickup did the majority of buyers really want one. Then in 94 with the redesign sales tripled and held fairly strong after that.
If you understand the older technology and want to work on it yourself, then this is the pickup for you. If not, then you might just consider buying the newer one just because a lot of the techs are younger guys now and A LOT has changed.

Dodge addressed the majority of the pitfalls that the 1st gen had with the second. Stuff like the p pump, fully boxed frame and a cab that didn't litterally fall apart. Not to mention the older pickup wasn't designed with a diesel in mind (hence the short commings) and the second was designed primarly with the cummins first. That's why a V8 engine looks goofy under the hood.

Me, I bought mine becuase I wanted something a little more old school. If I had the need for the best truck I could get for long distance and had the choice of the two I would without doubt buy the newer one, go through it bumper to bumper and then leave it alone.

Also, you have to consider being a long way from home and which pickup is going to have parts instock where you are. Lately I've been having one hard time finding the parts for my first gen simply because they're no longer made and have since long sold out. That leaves you with chinese parts or reman. Neither in my own opinion are worth the time.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 1993 ext cab 4X4 with a 10.5 Northland camper. Weight is probably 3000 lbs wet. I have airbags and a rear sway bar which I feel are both necessary. I also have 40 hp injectors and a 4" exhaust. The first Gen trucks are not known for there speed but will go forever (220,000) so far. You are probably right about the ride of a 4x4 but I live in Snow country and need it. I pull a small enclosed motorcycle trailer behind mine which is great so you don't have to drive your "house around everywhere". One thing I have found though is nothing is prefect in the RV world, so you just have to choose what's right for you. Don't get caught up in all the details just go out and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?-truck-2010-002.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Eljefedavies thats a sweet set up you got there, are your air bags outside the framerails? and is your truck an auto or manual, what gears, is the sway bar factory or aftermarket, and last question, milage please. Sorry for the third degree but i'm gona put a slide in my truck and I had these questions but never had anyone to ask, and also maybe it will be helpfull to someone els on here.

Thanks Darwin
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The airbags have a bracket that bolts to the outside of the frame. The bags are between this bracket and the leaf springs. These bags are good for leveling the truck since the campers can be a little lop-sided. The sway bar is a helliwig, and it makes a world of difference on winding roads, all these items you can get at summit-racing. I do take this truck off the pavement a little but not four wheeling, the camper is a little top heavy and just heavy for that. I have 220,000 miles on this truck and it's an automatic. I bought it in 1997 with 60,000 miles. The camper is a 1991 and I bought it about 6 months after I bought the truck, it's only on in the summer and I store in the winter. I have taken this camper to Mexico a few time and many trips all along the west coast. I live in Lake Tahoe so most of the trips are camping in the Sierra-Nevada mountains. I have never had a problem with the motor but have had problems that I was able to find the answers for on this site. These trucks are not fast by and stretch of the imagination and the ride is a little rough but they keep going. Have fun with your project and no worries about the questions.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM

I love my 1st gen but I'd have to say get a 2nd gen. Then you'd have a p pump injection pump with all the power you needed. The 2nd gens do ride nicer. And if you did decide to get an auto, then the 2nd gen lockup trannys are the better choice, plus they have another gear.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Bought my camper!

Hi again folks.
Well, something interesting came up suddenly on the local market, and first thing you know I'm now the owner of a slide-in truck camper, without a truck!

Here's a link to pictures I took of it in the seller's garage. He will deliver to may place this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10825085...at=directlink#

It's an early 70's Alaskan non-cabover camper, in excellent shape (no rot, well looked after, stored inside when not used). Got it for $2000, including jacks, misc stuff, and delivery to my place. 10 feet long, so it sits in an 8 foot box and on the folded-down tailgate. Loads of craftsmanship in the very attractive wooden interior, and for those of you who may not know Alaskans, they are hard-sided but feature a nifty and simple hydraulic system that raises and lowers the top portion. So when you're driving, it's sitting low (like an oversized truck cap) and more aerodynamic (better mileage). And then you pump it up at the campsite. 6ft3in standing room inside.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/sitemap.htm

It weighs around 2000 pounds wet. Obviously a 3/4 ton truck is needed, and probably one with helper springs or air bags. Folks on rv.net from whom I learned how to check out this camper suggested that one can never have too much truck, and suggested even getting a 1 ton truck to carry this. I don't want dual rear wheels. I'll have to measure the distance between the bottom (it's 4ft wide so sits between wheel wells of a typical pickup) and the overhang portion. I'm told some modern pickups may not fit it. Probably not an issue for me, as I'll be looking at Gen 1 or Gen 2's, with longbox.

Anyway, now I have to save my money for a truck purchase, probably in the Spring. But am glad that one part of the equation is settled (though I didn't think it would work out this way, when opportunity knocks...)

Cheers!
--Robert
Old 09-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I have looked at those before and they are cool, and your truck will get wwwaaaaaaaayyyyy better mpg with that over a standard slide-in, i just cant get the wife to go for one without a bathroom and shower. great nostalgic camper, to bad you cant get a truck that same year and transplant a cummins in it.

Dar
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by serious
This all depends on you.

1st generation trucks are largly late 60 to ealier 70's technology for most of the pickup with the cummins being the best part and of course 80's tech with it. Really, it wasn't until dodge put the cummins into this pickup did the majority of buyers really want one. Then in 94 with the redesign sales tripled and held fairly strong after that.
If you understand the older technology and want to work on it yourself, then this is the pickup for you. If not, then you might just consider buying the newer one just because a lot of the techs are younger guys now and A LOT has changed.

Dodge addressed the majority of the pitfalls that the 1st gen had with the second. Stuff like the p pump, fully boxed frame and a cab that didn't litterally fall apart. Not to mention the older pickup wasn't designed with a diesel in mind (hence the short commings) and the second was designed primarly with the cummins first. That's why a V8 engine looks goofy under the hood.

Me, I bought mine becuase I wanted something a little more old school. If I had the need for the best truck I could get for long distance and had the choice of the two I would without doubt buy the newer one, go through it bumper to bumper and then leave it alone.

Also, you have to consider being a long way from home and which pickup is going to have parts instock where you are. Lately I've been having one hard time finding the parts for my first gen simply because they're no longer made and have since long sold out. That leaves you with chinese parts or reman. Neither in my own opinion are worth the time.
Thanks Serious. Hadn't seen your post but it drives a lot of good points home, favoring the Gen 2. Indeed, parts availability a long way from home may be one of the deciding factors (Labrador, Alaska, wherever the travels may take me!).
Appreciate your thoughts!
--Robert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I have looked at those before and they are cool, and your truck will get wwwaaaaaaaayyyyy better mpg with that over a standard slide-in, i just cant get the wife to go for one without a bathroom and shower. great nostalgic camper, to bad you cant get a truck that same year and transplant a cummins in it.

Dar
Hi again, yeah it's a cool camper allright. Indeed, lack of bathroom/shower would make it unappealing to some people... I will stick a porta-potty in it for pit stops on the road, but plan on staying at state, federal, provincial, federal campgrounds when I travel, where such facilities are generally available.
Well, now starts the search for a good Cummins truck to carry it! Should be fun.
Cheers.
--Robert